Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all recently purchased a new to me Mazda 6 2.2L 2014 sport nav estate. I’m wondering what they are like on fuel. I was told it should do around 64mpg combined but I’m currently only getting 38MPG. So I’m not sure if that’s true or the car isn’t running right it’s not as responsive to the accelerator as I was expecting for a 2.2L. My old 57 plate 2.0L focus estate was more responsive and was doing more MPG. Hoping someone could help shed some light for me.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I suggest you drive the car for one hour at a consistent speed of 100 kph. That should keep the DPF "healthy".

I was able to get 25 km/L with a disciplined speed of 83 kph. Yes, a very relaxed (boring) drive. I have yet to break my record.

I have the 2017-18 model and currently with more than 60,000 km. I suspect you have the same model with @Raymond. You might want to check his thread as he did a few things on his car.

·
Super Moderator
18,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

These throttles are actually quite sensitive and, with time and practice, you can get a great sweetspot where it's just open enough for your needs and the car gets great gas milage. Also, are you calculating it yourself or are you reading the car's estimated MPGs? The car's "average" MPG reading is a cumulation of all time spent in the car - so every minute you're idle, Average MPGs drop quickly. Over time, the numbers will stop fluctuating so much and you'll see it level off around +/- 2 MPGs of what you're actually getting.

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
789 Posts
64mpg combined but I’m currently only getting 38MPG
I can tell you now, you'll never get 65MPG combined out of one of these. Sticking at 70MPH on a run I get 62MPG on a run. Never mind combined.

You can't really compare a focus to a 6. It's like comparing a dingy with a boat.

And by fuel, dont you mean diesel?
Fuel on this side of the pond is anything that fuels a motorised vehicle. Cars, boats, planes anything that takes juice really.

In Europe the Focus was a pretty decent car, Talon...
Someone misinformed you there I'm sorry. Ford Focus is pretty shite all around the globe I believe. I'm not 100% but someone once told me that the direct translation of 'Ford Focus' is 'Bag of Shite' in Latin. Don't quote me on that though as I don't speak Latin myself but it sure sounds believable.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Last poster... You should see what we got in North America! What did they call it, "PowerShift???" dry Getrag dual clutch automated manual, at least for the majority of cars. Can you say Class Action?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suggest you drive the car for one hour at a consistent speed of 100 kph. That should keep the DPF "healthy".

I was able to get 25 km/L with a disciplined speed of 83 kph. Yes, a very relaxed (boring) drive. I have yet to break my record.

I have the 2017-18 model and currently with more than 60,000 km. I suspect you have the same model with @Raymond. You might want to check his thread as he did a few things on his car.
Thanks for your reply I have done what you suggested on 2 separate occasions both around 3hr drive with cruise control set all motorway and 38.5MPG is the best I’m getting it too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Youre probably having a heavier foot with the more fun car. Seriously, comparing this to a Focus? And by fuel, dont you mean diesel?
Thanks for your reply it’s actually the opposite I haven’t really put my foot down or drove aggressively in the car yet. No the focus was a different kettle of fish screwed the arse of that thing regularly doing top speeds was a great fun car to drive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I can tell you now, you'll never get 65MPG combined out of one of these. Sticking at 70MPH on a run I get 62MPG on a run. Never mind combined.

You can't really compare a focus to a 6. It's like comparing a dingy with a boat.

Fuel on this side of the pond is anything that fuels a motorised vehicle. Cars, boats, planes anything that takes juice really.

Someone misinformed you there I'm sorry. Ford Focus is pretty shite all around the globe I believe. I'm not 100% but someone once told me that the direct translation of 'Ford Focus' is 'Bag of Shite' in Latin. Don't quote me on that though as I don't speak Latin myself but it sure sounds believable.
Both cars are estates so very similar size and weight just gone from 2.0 focus estate to a 2.2 6 estate. I wouldn’t say they were shit but hey I’m biased as I loved my focus lol only reason I got rid was because I killed it 😂 plus what’s is your average combined without driving aggressive?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I’ve not checked MPG for a while. I think it settled at 38-40 at the moment. It rarely sees motorways. I just take it out every so often to keep the DPF happy. The rest of the time it sits on my drive looking pretty.

I wouldn’t say it’s slow but it sure ain’t a rocket ship. Especially as I came from a 2L turbo petrol with 250bhp

Do you know which one you have as there’s 3 different variants of the 2.2d. There should be sticker on the O/S pillar with it on.

mine is the 175ps

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I forgot that we have the imperial gallon. I suppose you are using that one in UK? I think the figures are just right, even if I use 4.546 L in a gallon. I get 13-15 km/L as my average consumption when spread out over 10,000 km.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Do you know which one you have as there’s 3 different variants of the 2.2d. There should be sticker on the O/S pillar with it on.

mine is the 175ps
For benefit of the left hand drive group, o/s being off-side being left hand side of the car, n/s being near-side being right hand side of the car... Do I have that right? Near- and off- side being relative to the kerb (curb), correct?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I’ve not checked MPG for a while. I think it settled at 38-40 at the moment.

It has been a month since the last service where the had the battery off and it seems to have settled on 46mpg mixed driving. I DO use iStop whenever there is charge in the i-Eloop though.

·
Super Moderator
18,367 Posts
It has been a month since the last service where the had the battery off and it seems to have settled on 46mpg mixed driving. I DO use iStop whenever there is charge in the i-Eloop though.
Awwww, look at the cute little odometer reading XD - Go get that 50k!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts