Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody taken off the governor yet? If so please advise. Its the only thing that I dont like about it and would like to take care of it. Otherwise there is nothing to dislike in this car so far.
It may only have 220 Horse Power 3.0 V6 But with 5 speed the mid and high speed response is phenominal specially after about a couple of thousand miles. And there is not even a hint of fords ownership and the craftsmanship of this car is exemplary. Just check it out for yourself. See the overall review below for more.
Pros:
Exceptional Driving experience. Head turner in Black with the S package.One of the best looking interior. Overall Build Quality. Clearly better overall performance and feel than a Maxima and way better than the Altima(not in intial torque and accelration) but it will be very hard to beat in mid and high end with the 5 speed. Bose system is one of the best ever produced by the company. The subwoofer actually works unike others. Very smooth but exceptionally sporty ride and handling and never Uncomfortable.

Cons:
Low end Torque 120 MPH speed governor but this can be taken off easily.

Overall Review:
Mazda 6 S V6 5 Speed is the best Japanese real sport sedan which can actually compete with the European Sedans. Initial acceleration is not as fast as the Maxima, Altima or the new Accord coupe V6 6 speed. But if driven properly it wont be left behind either. I also own a new VW Passat V6 but I like this car better over all. I just hate the speed governor at 120 MPH and would like a little more low end torque otherwise I am really happy with the car. Now after a week' s vacations I have 2300 miles on it and I still look for excuses to drive it. To all you Critics please be fair to this car and before writing against it either keep it for some time or test drive for at least a couple of time. I loved the Altima and Maxima both for the longest time and have them in the family as well. After test driving Maxima and Altima several times both with stick shifts fully loaded, I still could not make the decision until the Mazda 6 came out. Believe me just having a more powerful engine will not cut it this time for Altima or Maxima or for any other make. Altima except for initial acceleration in every other respect is definitely not upto the level of refinement of this Mazda. You can however comapre it with the Maxima with the overall build quality. I bought the Mazda 6 S with Speed and all I can say that this car will not disappoint you in the mid and high speeds against a Maxima or Altima. Its just the initial acceleration and Overall Torque that Mazda is short of but the High speed response is way better then either Nissans and always reminds me of my 99 Prelude Highout put Vtec response plus the shifting and clutch action is just awesome and in Handling and over all ride Quality if you like Pure sporty but really comfortable ride This Mazda 6 rules. However if you like more room then there is no doubt that both Nissans offer better room. But Mazda is actually quite spacious too. Plus over all package loaded with everything even heated seats and traction control and a Body Kit the MSRP is around $25500 (I paid $23400 for a fully loaded 6 s model with everything they offer). Just negotiate with the dealer. It will definitely take some time though for people to be convinced to choose a Mazda over Toyota Nissan or a Honda.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 S 5speed

I had no idea there was a speed limiter set that low to tell you the truth. I have already had my 6 over the 120MPH mark and it had no problems going further. I have been trying to find out if there is even a speed limiter on the 6. All reviews I read said 133, but I haven't been quite that fast yet, are you sure 120MPH is the standard factory setting? Of course now I am going to have to go out and see if I can get above 130 :)

M

·
0 Posts

i have 1800 miles on my car and love it only thing i don't like is the feel of the clutch everybody that has driven my car agrees that i feel inconsistant...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 S 5speed'

Do you have a manual tranny 5speed V6? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by diesel5599

I had no idea there was a speed limiter set that low to tell you the truth. I have already had my 6 over the 120MPH mark and it had no problems going further. I have been trying to find out if there is even a speed limiter on the 6. All reviews I read said 133, but I haven't been quite that fast yet, are you sure 120MPH is the standard factory setting? Of course now I am going to have to go out and see if I can get above 130 :)[/b]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes I am sure about 120 MPH not KMH and I have been there several times. Plus Car and driver review also mentioned it on the Spec sheet. But the way this car performs at high end I think it would sertainly get to at least 145 MPH if not faster because its high end response is pretty similar to my 1999 Prelude and that would get to 150 MPH without any problems.
I agree the clutch could be better but once you get used to it then it works really well for quick shifts since the enguagement point of the clutch is really high you dont have to press it all the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If you are able to go past 130 MPH then still I would not be surprised because sometimes the governors are not consistent. my other car is 02 VW Passat V6 and most of the reviews mentioned that the governor is at 130 MPH but I have taken mine upto 140 MPH.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

good review mazda6owner

diesel you have an auto right? im curious to see if you can take it past 130 again

·
Registered
146 Posts

One questin, and no flame intended, but where the heck do you take the car up to 120mph a few times.... let alone 130mph?

I have run cars hard and done 135+mph a few times in both my 93 Probe GT and 97 Taurus SHO... but man, why would you want to run there more than once just to try it?

Seriously, no flame or slight intended. Just asking.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Originally posted by halfadozen

One questin, and no flame intended, but where the heck do you take the car up to 120mph a few times.... let alone 130mph?

I have run cars hard and done 135+mph a few times in both my 93 Probe GT and 97 Taurus SHO... but man, why would you want to run there more than once just to try it?  

Seriously, no flame or slight intended. Just asking.[/b]
Well, I've heard this question on a few board. The answer depends on where you live. For instance in Houston, TX, there is a highway called 59. Usually at night time around 1-2 in the morning there are no cars and is just a straight road for about 7 miles. My friend and I got up to 145 in his 330ci, and he said he got up to 160 at a different time. So yeah, there are plenty of times that someone can go this fast

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by Inova

Originally posted by halfadozen

Seriously, no flame or slight intended. Just asking.[/b]
Well, I've heard this question on a few board. The answer depends on where you live. For instance in Houston, TX, there is a highway called 59. Usually at night time around 1-2 in the morning there are no cars and is just a straight road for about 7 miles. My friend and I got up to 145 in his 330ci, and he said he got up to 160 at a different time. So yeah, there are plenty of times that someone can go this fast [/b][/quote]

Glad to hear about another possible 6 owner in Houston :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Inova

For instance in Houston, TX, there is a highway called 59. Usually at night time around 1-2 in the morning there are no cars and is just a straight road for about 7 miles.  My friend and I got up to 145 in his 330ci, and he said he got up to 160 at a different time. So yeah, there are plenty of times that someone can go this fast[/b]
Usually? And what if there is? At 140mph, you may never know about it...

N

·
0 Posts

Originally posted by mazda6owner
           I also own a new VW Passat V6 but I like this car better over all.  [/b]
Can you explain more about this? I currently have a 2001 Jetta and am wondering how the interior fit & finish compares to the 6. I love the textures of the dash, the seats are really firm, the shifter leaves a lot to be desired, but overall, the VW interiors rival cars costing $15k more.

How does the Mazda compare after sitting behind the wheel for a few weeks?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I like the interior seating area.. However, I am not that pleased with the dash thus far as it appears to be a cheap plastic finish and leaves no room for any type pf modifications stereo wise. IMHO, its too cluttered.

Other than that I have no problems with the car whatsoever and figured there would be many modifications for the center console out in the near future as interest and sales pick up.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey mazda6owner

Please tell us more about why you like the Mazda6 better than the Passat. This is a natural comparison for me especially when the wagon comes out. Thanks.

DG

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 S 5speed'

Welcome digli!

I am eager to hear all comparisons as well, especially agains the Passat.

From what I've heard, the Passat is smoother and more refined, a better cruisemobile. It handles well, but with noticible body roll. Interior fit and finish is a notch above.

Whereas, the '6's element is in the twisties. (this part I can speak from experience) The '6 is flat and neutral in corners.

Keep in mind also, I have personally heard from more than one source that VW's cost a small fortune should you ever need bodywork. I also recall seeing questionable / spotted reliability on the Passat. Maybe they've worked that issue out, but I would look into it should I want to buy one.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 S 5speed'

I guess I fit the description. I'll try to give my view.

First of all, it looks better. Now this may not be important to some, but it is to me. I also like the interior better in the 6, even if it's perhaps just on par with the Passat.

The 6 handles much better, and has a sportier touch. A nicer engine sound adds to this.

When it comes to loading capacity, the 6 with its big space, flat floor and less intrusive suspension wins too.

I like the Passat, but I like the 6 better.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I guess I fit the description. I'll try to give my view.

The 6 handles much better, and has a sportier touch. A nicer engine sound adds to this.[/b]
Yes - good adjective - sporty. Leave it to the copywriter. :p

When it comes to loading capacity, the 6 with its big space, flat floor and less intrusive suspension wins too.[/b]
Interesting...the volume of both trunks is almost identical. Illusion, perhaps? The '6 definitely gets a point for the non-intrusive lifts and suspension.

I like the Passat, but I like the 6 better.[/b]
Really? Would never have guessed. :sarc

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by applejax
Yes - good adjective - sporty.  Leave it to the copywriter.  :p[/b]
Thank You...
Interesting...the volume of both trunks is almost identical.  Illusion, perhaps?  The '6 definitely gets a point for the non-intrusive lifts and suspension.[/b]
Kind of what I meant... :sarc

Really?  Would never have guessed.   :sarc[/b]
:sarc

1 - 20 of 28 Posts