Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm looking to buy a car between now and summer and the three cars I am considering (in order of my current preference based on looks) are:

2003 Mazda 6 S
2003 Nissan Altima SE
2003 Honda Accord EX V6

The Mazda is the only one I've started looking into thus far. The one I am looking at is equiped with:

PACKAGES
* COMFORT PACKAGE
* SPORT PACKAGE
* BOSE AUDIO PACKAGE

OPTIONS
* 5-SPEED SPORT AT
* POWER MOONROOF
* SIDE AIR BAGS & SIDE AIR CURTAINS
* ULEV EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT
* LEATHER SEAT UPHOLSTERY

ACCESSORIES
* WHEEL LOCKS

With Metallic Silver exterior and black leather interior. 5 speed sport AT (yeah yeah, I want standard transmission, but I want my mom to be able to drive it and to have it after I get my next car and she doesn't know how to drive stick). Priced at $26,375 MSRP. How much do you think I can get it out the door if I paid the whole sum in cash (I really want to get it as close to $20K as I can)? First time buying a car if you couldn't tell. Thanks for any opinions. As you can tell with my choices, I want something reliable and sensible, but also has a little sporty edge to it :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 right for me?'

It's looking like it all depends on where you live, apparently. In NYC, you're going to be paying sticker price, or close to it. Outside, I've heard of people here getting $1500 or more off of sticker. Of course, the car has just come out, the price will be lower by the summer time. As for the Accord and Altime, you'll be paying more, I've looked into it, unless you find a leftover '02 model. Good luck with the car hunt. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts

Can't help you with the price as I am in Canada, but consider this. If you are between the ages of 25-40, the Mazda 6 is for you. You mentionned you want something sporty, well guess what? I don't think the Altima and Accord can be considered as "sporty" in my mind. The 6 looks like it is the best bang for the buck out there as far as mid-size sedans go, I would not understand why someone would not go with it? All reviews I have seen have also been very positive.

Good luck with your decision! I know that most people on these boards have made their mind up, I just wish it was available here in Canada, we still have approx. 1 month to go!! :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Question. I went to a site and configured the car I want MSRP of the car (S with 5 speed AT) - $21,650, MSRP of options - $4,755. Total $26,375

Invoice of car - $19,979, invoice of options - $3,874. Total - $23853

My question is, what is the invoice price? Is that the price that the dealer pays for the car? Or is that the price I should be paying? I emailed a dealer in my area and I got a reply saying the exact car I want has a sticker price of $24,999. With sales tax, lisence fee, and DMV fees, that comes to $27,481, which is a little more than I want to spend right now.

If I wait to buy until summer (or even until the 2004s are about to come in); and was willing to pay in cash, how much do you think I could get one out the door for? I live in San Diego, CA. BTW.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Go to Edmunds, and determine the TMV (True Market Value) for what you want. Without getting involved into a lengthy dissertation, you should be paying somewhere between invoice and Edmunds TMV. Shoot for invoice, though, there's no reason why a dealer shouldn't give you that. They still make plenty of money.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Originally posted by CANiSLAYu

Hello all. I'm looking to buy a car between now and summer and the three cars I am considering (in order of my current preference based on looks) are:  

2003 Mazda 6 S  
2003 Nissan Altima SE  
2003 Honda Accord EX V6  

The Mazda is the only one I've started looking into thus far. The one I am looking at is equiped with:  

PACKAGES  
* COMFORT PACKAGE  
* SPORT PACKAGE  
* BOSE AUDIO PACKAGE  

OPTIONS  
* 5-SPEED SPORT AT  
* POWER MOONROOF  

ACCESSORIES  
* WHEEL LOCKS  

With Metallic Silver exterior and black leather interior. 5 speed sport AT (yeah yeah, I want standard transmission, but I want my mom to be able to drive it and to have it after I get my next car and she doesn't know how to drive stick). Priced at $26,375 MSRP. How much do you think I can get it out the door if I paid the whole sum in cash (I really want to get it as close to $20K as I can)? First time buying a car if you couldn't tell.  Thanks for any opinions. As you can tell with my choices, I want something reliable and sensible, but also has a little sporty edge to it :)[/b]

I think you should get that car for around $25K since regular one in my area like $22,500 and with extra stuff, it would be at around $25K. Not more. If you give like $3000-$4000 down, you should be able to get that car for around $320/mo for 72 mo. Or if you give like $8000, then it would be somewhere around $280/mo for 72 mo.

·
Registered
391 Posts

BTW for altima and accord, the least you could get would be somewhera around $350/mo for 72 mo. And thats if your lucky.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Have you driven these cars? That would surely help.

I want something reliable and sensible, but also has a little sporty edge to it :)[/b]
If sporty is what you seek, you may, then, eliminate the Accord. I cannot comment on the Altima as I have not driven one (yet).

·
Registered
96 Posts

Originally posted by Haris

2003 Mazda 6 S  
2003 Nissan Altima SE  
2003 Honda Accord EX V6  

PACKAGES  
* COMFORT PACKAGE  
* SPORT PACKAGE  
* BOSE AUDIO PACKAGE  

OPTIONS  
* 5-SPEED SPORT AT  
* POWER MOONROOF  

ACCESSORIES  
* WHEEL LOCKS  

With Metallic Silver exterior and black leather interior. 5 speed sport AT (yeah yeah, I want standard transmission, but I want my mom to be able to drive it and to have it after I get my next car and she doesn't know how to drive stick). Priced at $26,375 MSRP. How much do you think I can get it out the door if I paid the whole sum in cash (I really want to get it as close to $20K as I can)? First time buying a car if you couldn't tell.  Thanks for any opinions. As you can tell with my choices, I want something reliable and sensible, but also has a little sporty edge to it :)[/b]

I think you should get that car for around $25K since regular one in my area like $22,500 and with extra stuff, it would be at around $25K. Not more. If you give like $3000-$4000 down, you should be able to get that car for around $320/mo for 72 mo. Or if you give like $8000, then it would be somewhere around $280/mo for 72 mo.[/b][/quote]Sounds about right to me. I paid 23K for a 6S with leather, Bose, comfort and moonroof. Add about 2K for the other options you've got there.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

If your considering the altima, go sit inside it first. the interior is foul, reminds me of a taurus or something

to some people it doesnt matter, but if im buying a brand new car and i have to drive the car everyday, interior styling is going to be important to me

·
Registered
262 Posts

I have a friend who actually recently purchased a brand new '03 Nissan Altima 3.5SE. While it's a nice car, it's certainly not what I'm looking for. The interior is extremely roomy, but it's too roomy in my opinion. I like a car to have enough room for everyone to feel comfortable, but also feel snug and cozy at the same time. The Altima's interior simply feels like a huge cabin with a lot of wasted space compared to the snug fit of the 6's interior. As a driver in the car, the way the instrument cluster is designed is pretty crappy IMHO. There is also way too much torque steer for my taste. Sure the power is nice to have at your disposal, but the constant head jerking launches and steering wheel vibrations will get on your nerves very quickly.

I can't comment on how the new Accord drives seeing as how I haven't drivenridden in one, but I can comment on what I've seen and read. The car simply is not a "driver's car." The level of refinement is great I'm sure, but everyone has said it's simply boring to drive. The styling of the car is nice right up until you get to the rear. All I can say is, what was Honda thinking when they designed the rear? Bleh!!! Those reasons right there would initially turn me away from the Accord but when you add the fact that there will undoubtedly be TONS of Accords on the road within the next few months, that closes the deal for me. I like to be a little different which wouldn't be the case if I got an Accord.

As for the Mazda 6, all I can say is that after having taken the car out for a test-drive, it's going to be the car next I purchase without a doubt. There's really nothing I can say or tell you that a simple test-drive of the car won't better reiterate. Go test-drive the car if you haven't yet, even if you're not going to buy one. It might make you change your perception of Mazda, whatever that might be. At the very least, it will put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Replying to Topic 'M

Just to add some comments about the Accord if its helpful. I test drove the 03 Accord V6 EX Coupe (Loaded to the gills). I thought it would be sporty, but its not, even with the new 5 speed automatic, but the V6 does like to rev a lot. P.S I thought the Mazda 6i 4speedATw/sport shift was funner. No 6 speed Accord's on the lots yet though, so i can't help u there. But the interior was very nice and the step by step gauge lightup sequence was neat. Other than that, it all comes down to a matter of personal preference. Frankly, i think the 6 beats everything in its class, thats why i want it so bad...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts

I was in the same position as you are.

we were considering accord ex, altima and the 6......but since it was my moms car and her decision...she endedup with buyin a camry. (don't ask)

but if you are seriously cosidering between the 3.....screw the accord...that is like an old persons car....almost as long as a minivan...trust me....put it next to my dad's windstar....wasn't pleased.

I must say...i did like the altima....although it's really big to be considered under the "sport edge" area, but I have nothing negative to say about that car. except that the interior was a lil oldish style....like something frm the mid 90's.....

The 6 is definetly my choice...even though I don't own one yet....gurantee it it will be in the driveway as soon as I grad (december) and I get a good job (GOD HELP ME)....Hatchback is defin a consideration if you want something sporty.....I think it looks sportier than the sedan verison.. The rear window just gets to me. My mom liked the 6, but the dealer wouldn't budge from the MSRP price tag for the 6i. what a f'n shame....he coulda had a customer if had given us 500 + Invoice. Not goin bak there again.

But all in all...it just varies from taste....i hated the accord...who knows...u mite be it's biggest fan!! But the Altima is also nice, if you wanted to consider it!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 right for me?

I test drove the accord coupe V6 auto. It had great power but the styling seems to fall short. I inquired with the dealer about the 6-speed supposedly due out in Feb 03 and they told me may not be until May/June or even as late as Sep because of tranny problems. Can't wait that long! Plus the car is just plain expensive out of the gate. I've also read that a dealer installed FS (factory spec) option can be installed for yet more $$$ which would upgrade the suspension among other things to make the accord coupe feel more like a sports car. I imagine you're spending upwards of and possibly beyond $30k by this point. Out of my budget.

I'm about to test drive a 6s tomorrow and I've read nothing but glowing reviews about the driving experience so I'm a bit excited. Seems like a great value, and I plan on getting it loaded because of that. I'm a poor sucker that's migrating out of the pure sports car world because of a wedding and a new home to come withing the next year. I've gotta consolidate to an everyday driver that's fun but can still be practical.

k

------------------------------
97 supra turbo <--for sale!
88 honda accord
------------------------------

B

·
0 Posts

CANiSLAYu,
Let me see if I can help. TMV at Edmunds.com seems a little too high to pay for a car. I have went to multiple Honda and Mazda dealers looking for a new Accord and New 6. If you go into the dealer infomed, with printouts from Edmunds showing the invoice value of the car with options, THAT will get you a lot of negotiating power. For example, I went to both types of dealerships and told them I would give the 2% over invoice, which I think is fair. All of the dealerships except one agreed to it virtually on the spot. The one that didn't was a cheesy car salesman trying to hustle me. If you are informed, it makes it very difficult to hustle you. Told the salesman to get bent. His loss.

Later, I went to an Altima dealer, they told me that they would sell me the Altima at invoice. Becasue Nissan is not offering any incentives on the Altima (cash back or low financing) they have to compete with Honda. BTW, Honda is running 3.49% for 60 mos.

Me, I am still debating whether to get the Accord or 6. I REALLY like the 6 and will probably go with that, but Honda's resale has historically been so much higher than Mazda that I may go that route. I am also waiting for Mazda to offer special financing. The 6, here in central Virgina, is not selling as anticipated. I attribute that to the other manufacturers offering special financing, but not Mazda (at lest on the 6)

I hear some guys throughout the forum saying that dealers will not sell below sticker price.....well, if anyone wants the name of the dealers/salemen that I have talked to...just send me an email. Come on up/down to Richmond, VA and you CAN get a deal.

Invoice Base Price + Invoice on Options = Invoice price of car

invoice price x 1.02 = 2% over invoice price

Hope this helps....

Chris:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts