Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone. I have a red 2009 Mazda 6 i grand touring. I am in urgent need (due to state inspection ) to replace the passenger side mirror which has discolored and hence failed the state inspection. Could you please help me with three items below?

(1) Can I just replace the mirror instead of changing the entire side mirror assembly with outside housing on the passenger side?
(2) Are there any instructions or good videos of replacing that myself? I could not find anything specifically for 2009 mazda 6 when I searched on YouTube.
(3) What would be the best source/website to buy just the mirror OR the assembly depending upon question 1?

You help is much appreciated.

·
Rally Racer
2,187 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, welcome to the forum.
Am I hearing you right when you say that having a discolored side mirror will cause you to fail inspection?
Are you talking about the glass part and not the housing?
If it is the glass have you tried cleaning it with white vinegar?

https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1150109&ukey_product=1882173
Hello DrFeelGood, Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, that is correct that having a discolored side mirror is causing to fail New York fail inspection. I have shown it to two authorized shops by now, and they both failed it showing it NY documents saying it is not allowed.

Yes, I am talking about the just the glass part (where we see the cars in the back), the housing and other mating parts are totally fine.

So I dont think cleaning it with white vinegar would work. It seems that there is some sort of internal breakage/leakage causing the glass to look discolored. The car has heated mirror with auto dimming and blind spot monitoring features. So I suppose there is some sort of "fluid" or "special material" inside/behind the glass that got "leaked" or something? I dont know enough about how these glass/mirror is made thought, but knowing it has auto dimming feature, there is some "fluid" or other special material that makes the feature work for the mirror may be?

·
Rally Racer
2,187 Posts
Hello DrFeelGood, Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, that is correct that having a discolored side mirror is causing to fail New York fail inspection. I have shown it to two authorized shops by now, and they both failed it showing it NY documents saying it is not allowed.

Yes, I am talking about the just the glass part (where we see the cars in the back), the housing and other mating parts are totally fine
Ah, that makes sense.
Ciuld you sticky tape another mirror on top? Cheesy I know but hey...
It looks like You are going to be out around $150 unless you can find one at salvage.
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts