Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a new Mazda 6 and to my horror after 4 weeks driving I have noticed at least 30 chips on the front of my cars bumper.Has anybody had any experiences with poor paint work causing chips to appear easily

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Is it poor paint or is the environment in which you are driving? The bumper on my car (2003) has paint chipping but that is due to rocks and road debris from my every drive on Interstate 70 into work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could say it is the environment but with only 900 miles on the clock my car looks as if it has done 10 times that,I know this is the get out clause my dealer will hit me with

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know the highways around D.C. here are littered with rocks and pebbles thanks to the obscene amount of construction trucks I see everyday.

I'm surprised the police etc don't crack down on these dump trucks with their shit not secured.

edit: Actually no I'm not, UNIONS for the win.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I say its less quality paint, as in it takes less effort from rocks/debris to nick, ding or chip it. My bumper looks now in only 1.5yrs the same my Altima did in 4yrs of driving when I traded it in for the 6, I basically drive the same streets and in-state road trips, etc as I did before..
I have a problem with my outside driver door handle, the paint has totally flaked off from where you pull, not worn out, flaked off like in big chunks. I'm going to take it in for that see if I get a new handle or something.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well, American environmental laws do require a less durable paint to be used here than overseas. However, it's still something striking the car which is damaging the paint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree its not the end of the world by a mile,but its very frustrating and this club is a good way of venting.Thanks for all the replys anymore ideas ,advice or good luck storys like mine would be of help

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
When my car was 2 yrs old, the bumper was pretty messed up so I had it repainted and then installed the ClearGuard protective film. That solves the problem, but it isn't cheap unfortunately (and the film is a bitch to install yourself!).

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I have a few chips on my hood. alot on my front bumper and 2 on m,y windows. But it's because of taking the interstate. Alot of road work so no matter what you get stuck behind a big truck that loves to throw rocks. lol some day I will get it all fixed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When my car was 2 yrs old, the bumper was pretty messed up so I had it repainted and then installed the ClearGuard protective film. That solves the problem, but it isn't cheap unfortunately (and the film is a bitch to install yourself!).
[/b]
That's what I was going to recommend. 3M and Llumar also produce what it otherwise known as a "clear bra." I've got it, the Llumar, on one of my cars and the paint is doing just fine. The sections that are on relatively flat surfaces, the hood and tops of the fenders, wouldn't be that big a deal to install. The nose and bumper of the car are covered by one big piece. There are "many" compound curves that make the installation very problomatic unless you really know what you're doing. For me, it was well worth the price to get it installed.

Good luck,
Steve R.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My front bumper was torn up pretty badly, but that was after 2 years commuting on a concrete highway! Thanks to my wife (ugly incident in my car last year, don't want to talk about it!) my front bumper was replaced and refinished. I still do the heavy highway commute and have noticed that the body shop finish is holding up better than the OE did. Surprising because I've had freinds over the years that couldn't keep paint on the bumpers after they were replaced.

If you really want to persue this, you'll need to go to the service manager and request a visit with the district service manager from Mazda. He has to meet with you if you request it. Try to have some ammo with you (i.e. pictures of other makes that make the same commute you do that don't look as bad as yours). Like I had noted above, my OE paint on the front bumper did not fare well either. It's slim, but you may get them to pay for a respray, but be careful of what you wish for. Sometimes taking this route opens Pandora's box and gives you more headaches than you are experiencing right now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Damn, well with reagards to paint chipping because of the highway..........that's my life story right now. I got like a billion on my bumper just from one drive up to toronto from NY. I'm thinking of respraying then buying of those transparent bumper protectors film thingys. I think it might be a good investment especially for the 6s.

Just an example
http://www.chipguard.com.au/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, well with reagards to paint chipping because of the highway..........that's my life story right now. I got like a billion on my bumper just from one drive up to toronto from NY. I'm thinking of respraying then buying of those transparent bumper protectors film thingys. I think it might be a good investment especially for the 6s.

Just an example
http://www.chipguard.com.au/
[/b]
Thanks for that Chipguard seems like a great idea,may take you up on that once I get my bumper repaired .If anybody knows any installers in Scotland please let me know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Every car I've owned got the stone chips from the highway. Mabye the 6 is prone to it more..not sure yet...too scared to go on the highway with my new 06! :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was wondering if there are different quality clearcoats? Could I just get the chips I have repaired and then get a higher quality (maybe thicker) clearcoat put on? Or are all clearcoats basically the same?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
19 Participants
kirkie
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing