Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, new poster here. great website! i just got a 6s on 2/22/03 (silver, sport/comfort/premium packages); and i've already put 2,000 miles on it. what a GREAT car.

anyway, my question is about oil changes. at what mileage do you 6s owners do your oil changes? my dealer told me to do it at 5,000 miles. the owner's manual says 7,500 miles (i THINK); but i've always always ALWAYS done oil changes at 3,000 miles.

what do you guys think? i'm anal about car care, and i want to keep my baby in perfect shape. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Replying to Topic 'mazda 6 oil changes'

you can do them at the traditional 3000...what mazda suggests is every 3750 miles. i run mobil 5w30 and change it every 3000 just in case

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Reading Topic: mazda 6 oil changes

If Mazda recommends every 3750 miles, I'm sure that would be just fine. Cars that recommend 3000 miles can actually go longer than that without any damage to the engine, it's just that car companies tell people to change the oil more often than necessary just to be on the safe side. I'd go with Mazda?s recommendation, but there's no harm in doing it more often.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by Phrosted

If Mazda recommends every 3750 miles, I'm sure that would be just fine.  Cars that recommend 3000 miles can actually go longer than that without any damage to the engine, it's just that car companies tell people to change the oil more often than necessary just to be on the safe side.  I'd go with Mazda?s recommendation, but there's no harm in doing it more often.[/b]
okay ... but mazda is telling me to do it every FIVE thousand miles. hence my confusion.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Do what Mazda tells you to do. Engines these days are vastly different than those a few short years ago. I've heard that changing your oil more frequently than recommended can actually be detrimental.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I would tell you to re-check the owner's manual, and make sure if it qualifies what kind of oil that 7,500 miles is for. Synthetic oil lasts a lot longer than standard. Also, some cars have oil-saving techniques that allow you do go longer between oil changes, so the 3000 mile mark isn't necessarily universally true, even with standard oil.

After you figure out what the manual says, call up your dealership and confer with them about it, tell them what it says in the manual. Make sure you talk to a mechanic about it, sales reps don't know jack about this stuff.

If all else fails, e-mail Mazda, I'm sure they know the answer.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

with synthetic, I'm going to change every 5-7K. Unless you out doing some hardcore driving or racing, that should be fine.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Good info Here
I did my first at 800miles and second at 3000, and I'l stay at the 3000 change the rest of the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts

do the taste test. check your dipstick for oil color and smell. you can definitely tell when engine oil is old and has that old frying pan grease look.

i change my just a little past 3k for best bet. sometimes during the summer ill check it more often to check the color and see if the oil looks "burnt".

tastes good on a medium rare steak also. :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I tried that and I can't taste the difference between the engine oil on the dipstick and a sip from a new 1 quart bottle. I even rinsed with kerosene between tests. What am I doing wrong?

p.s. kerosene left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. might consider straight mineral spirits next time.

·
Registered
34 Posts

From what I know it is always good to do an oil change after the first 1000 miles of the car. Even though Mazda or the manual hasnt told you this, this is a very good thing to do. The reason for this is that this is a brand new engine, that means the engines is not broken in yet. There are gonna be metal chippings in the engine from the first 500-600 miles. This is normal, but after 1000 miles it is good to change the oil with those metal shavings so they do not scratch up the walls of the engine and cause future oil leaks or major problems.

Thats just my 2 cents and btw it does not hurt to do an oil change. ;)

Take care of your new car :D

·
Registered
158 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

I tried that and I can't taste the difference between the engine oil on the dipstick and a sip from a new 1 quart bottle.  I even rinsed with kerosene between tests.  What am I doing wrong?

p.s.  kerosene left a bad aftertaste in my mouth.  might consider straight mineral spirits next time.[/b]
I suggest smoking a cigarette after washing your mouth out with kerosene. It helps to get rid of the aftertaste.

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts