Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You simply cant read at all... i never said 2016+, specifically said 2016 as in, not 2016.5, not 2017, not 2018 etc etc etc, because this one would fit and work with hardly any issue... I also ONLY talked about the nav, which you keep insisting isnt an issue based on your blathering about BT and other shit. There IS a solution, and its usually OEM in some fashion or another. Or, since you have the actual IN DASH unit, swap a Kenwood, Pioneer or other into it.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda6 Touring MTX
38 Posts
You simply cant read at all... i never said 2016+, specifically said 2016 as in, not 2016.5, not 2017, not 2018 etc etc etc, because this one would fit and work with hardly any issue... I also ONLY talked about the nav, which you keep insisting isnt an issue based on your blathering about BT and other shit. There IS a solution, and its usually OEM in some fashion or another. Or, since you have the actual IN DASH unit, swap a Kenwood, Pioneer or other into it.
There is no distinction between a 2016 and 2016.5 Mazda 6, and no other pre-facelift option designed specifically for our cars. That is a CX-5 head unit, which may fit into the existing dash hole with some modification to the dash trim, but does not have the proper connections to plug into our cars. I did my research on those as well, because I also wanted to stay OEM. To install one of those, you'd need to source a wiring harness, or at the very least the proper connectors and hope that all the connections exist in the existing wiring harness. I could not find anyone who successfully swapped one of those in, and I refuse to recommend any option that I can't verify. If you can find anyone who has swapped, I'd happily support that recommendation over mine.

Also, I clearly gave a link to someone complaining about the features included with the nav. It's an acceptable system, but not a good system, and definitely nowhere near as well featured as my recommended CarPlay/Android Auto system. So sure, someone could install the OEM nav and use it, and optionally continue to pay for updates instead of using one of the numerous free maps available for smartphones. But as to whether expense for the module is worth it when the head unit comes up short in every way compared to a more modern head unit. And I stand by my reasoning that the expense of the navigation module is absolutely not worth it when there are much better options.

And yes, a Kenwood/Pioneer head unit is an option. I made my recommendation for an Android head unit because of the additional vehicle integration features, the typical (though not guaranteeed) lower price point, and the simplicity of ordering a custom fit prewired unit and not needing a trim kit or separate wiring harness. I made a recommendation based on what I opted to do with my car, but if you had given that suggestion instead of arguing that someone should spend more money on an outdated and subpar OEM system, I would happily have agreed.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts