Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I test drove the 6 yesterday for about 20 minutes, and she could not get the headrest to adjust to a comfortable position. She has some nerve problems in her neck, and the headrest leans forward at too high of an angle.

We tried every possible headrest height, and all possible combinations of seat angle + headrest angle but could not find an acceptable solution.

My question is: is there a way to change the angle of the headrest, or are there any alternatives to the standard headrest that will fit the rails in the passenger seat? The current seat/headrest causes her pain, and is a deal-breaker in terms of buying the car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 Headrest Alternatives

Can you put them in backwards? I would imagine it would render them much less effective in a collision, but it might solve the problem.

Also, is the rest adjustable fore/aft? Our Millenia drivers seat has that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 Headrest Alternatives'

Jerome.

Thank. Thought of reversing the headrest. Not sure if this is possible, as there are probably ratchets cut in one side of the posts that line up with slots in the seat, and reversing the headrest would cause these things to not mesh properly.

I wonder if the headrest from your Millenia would fit a 6's seat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'M

I fear a headrest pillow would only compound the problem, as it would make her head push forward even further. The issue is the headrest leans TOO far forward the way it is now, causing her head to pivot forward and down relative to the rest of her body.

Thanks for the thought, though.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Ahh ok.

At least in the europe cars the center headrest in the rear seat is much lower (so you can see while reversing.. It can be "poped up" if anyone sits there. If that headrest fits in the front chair, it might be better? I dunno...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Blackbird,

Great idea. We'll have to check this out during our next visit to the Mazda dealership.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Yeah that would appear as the most logical solution.

Or maybe she's the one with the pesetas?

;)

·
Registered
32 Posts

Two things:
1. The USDM cars don't have headrests in the back, so what Blackbird is proposing is impossible. Why they don't have rear headrests here is anyone's guess.

2. I've never heard of anyone having this problem and I'm a little surprised that it's such a big deal. I don't mean to suggest that you're complaining about a non-existant problem, I just don't understand it. Does she have to recline the seat? The headrest never gets close to touching my head in normal driving. It's there just to prevent whiplash as far as I know.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Find a custom upholstery shop.

Take the demo car to the shop and explain the issue and what you need. They should know very quickly what can and can't be done and be able to quote you without tearing into the car.

I'd envision something along the lines of removing the padded portion from its mounts and pivoting it or repositioning it to accommodate your wife. Should let you maintain a factory look and not cost the world.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

That's a good call, Reuf. I was thinking that if he couldn't get rid of the wife, perhaps the shape of the wife's head could be changed to better sit against the headrest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

OK, fellas. I knew I was opening myself up to a whole bunch of potential wife wisecracks but to your credit, I have to admit that the group here has been pretty well-behaved.

Yes, my wife's problems are very unusual, but they result from some physiological issues she has with the nerves in her neck, and some cars, the 6 included, have headrests that angle forward more severely than others.

I may stop by an auto-upholstery shop down the street and ask them what they might be able to do. Ideally, I'd like to not only maintain the factory look but also the safety protection of the headrest.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have the same problem..hate the angle of the head rest. I am 5'8" and find that i have to slouch to fit into the head rest no matter how high or low it is.
(I don't have neck problems and am very fit).
Tried flipping the rest around (it is easy to do) but it then leans too far back and seems very unsafe...tried moving the back headrest to the front seat (there are 3 head rests in my back seat. 2015 Mazda 6 ...but they don't fit in the front seat.
If anyone know of alternative head rests that can be purchased please advise.

BTW i have this problem in many newish cars (last 5 years or so) I feel like if i was 2 inches shorter or taller it wouldn't be a problem. Surely there are others with this compalnt??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts