Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, Hi, searched pretty hard on the worldwide web looking for info on headlights on my car, gg 2002 mazda 6.
There are 4 lights in there, 1-low beam of type??, 1-high beam H1??, indicator some globe??, fog light??.
They performed reasonably well on a road trip(with fog enabled on low beam), low on its own was average.
I just need to know the starting point,i have been unable to find on www!

·
Registered
543 Posts

There is a list for most bulb sizes. Also, here in the states, the bulb types are listed on the headlight lens as far as high, low, and fog. I'm not sure if the turn and city light are listed on there or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought d2s hid for my low beams to replace the h1.
It was like fitting a square block into a round hole.
30 minutes of filing and bending, it was in.
The projector lens was filthy, inside of outer lens not to bad,same with reflector.
Also polished fog light lens which was filthy as well, i guess the heat bakes contaminants onto it.
Just a side note, remove one screw from fog lens can turn it into full beam.
I ran hid one side, halogen the other for five minutes, lens was about double the heat of hid.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what to do with high beam, I found it to be very spread, maybe led light at 5000k? I do alot of night driving and find white a bit much after many hours.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The projector lens was filthy, inside of outer lens not to bad,same with reflector.
Also polished fog light lens which was filthy as well, i guess the heat bakes contaminants onto it.
I ran hid one side, halogen the other for five minutes, lens was about double the heat of hid.
Wait, what exactly did you do here? Did you do a retrofit and put in a proper hid d2s projector in or did you hack the factory h1 projector to take d2s?

I'd leave the cutoff alone inside the fog light. This light can be ran with the lows and if it has no cutoff, then you are going to be driving around like you have a high beam on blinding people.

If you had the lenses off, why didn't you dechrome the bezels and black them out? Almost all HID headlights have black bezels to helps reduce glare and should be done with a proper retrofit but not so much a deal breaker.

As for the high beam location, I'd recommend staying with halogen. Do a Google search for "best h1 halogen bulb site:hidplanet.com" and start reading. Some of the ones that are mentioned are hard to find but most of the others can be found.

Led technology is not quite there yet as far as an upgrade. There is a lot that comes into play when dealing with pnp bulbs. A lot of it is not good. 1 example is filament placement on halogen bulbs vs die placement on LEDs. Most bulbs out there are going to be off and only a handful of the more expensive ones out there will have them almost perfect but still not that great. Also running a LED in the high location could throw the highs on at all times and will cause the fogs to not come on. You will have to run a resistor along with it to keep the headlight control happy.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I disagree on the LED not being there yet, there are plenty of good ones, just make sure it follows the Phillips/Sylvania format. DDMtuning.com has the correct ones.
While LEDs can be great for all other lighting (side markers, tail lights, turns, etc), it's not there as of yet for replacing bulbs in the headlights especially in a reflector housing. There is not 1 reputable headlight retrofiter/builder that will recommend a LED to go inside headlights. The beam patterns are all off, there is no focus for the road, etc. Look at the many aftermarket lighting pages around and you'll see a trend. People are coming on these pages asking why their lights now suck after "upgrading" to LEDs, people asking for "the best LED" for their vehicles just to be told to stay with halogens, and many "I've had these for 3 months and this is what's going on".

I would say within the next 5 years the aftermarket will get it right. While factory equipped led lighting is fine, pnp LEDs are not there as of yet. We are already starting to see some true aftermarket led projectors that look very promising. However one would still need to open the lights up to place said projectors just like any other retrofit. If one is going that route, it's still cheaper with better output to retrofit HID projectors with replaceable bulbs and ballast. If a LED inside the projector goes out, the projector is now toast and would have to be replaced.

·
Rally Racer
1,991 Posts
Nice work. I did the exact same thing for my integrated fog as I wanted to use it as a DRL. With the available LED bulbs I was not able to get something ad bright within the focus patter for good daytime visibility (of me) so I removed the cutoff and the brightness was perfect. They are even fine at night and generally are less bright than most modern integrated LED's (Not headlamps however)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here is a great read regarding the subject. I'll leave it here for others to take a look and decide on their own if they still want to run LEDs in housings that are not made for them.

This is from an enthusiast that was trying to help educate others. He is not biased for any company but wanted to show true real life comparisons. Read the artical, look at the pics, and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Here is a great read regarding the subject. I'll leave it here for others to take a look and decide on their own if they still want to run LEDs in housings that are not made for them.

This is from an enthusiast that was trying to help educate others. He is not biased for any company but wanted to show true real life comparisons. Read the artical, look at the pics, and decide for yourself.
Theres also an article (or maybe that post) from the same site that lauds the Phillips format bulbs, which at the time cost $198/pair. This is what ive compiled based on that for fellow Honda VT1300 riders http://store.furyowners.club/lights.htm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP, why the HELL would you attempt to fit a D2S bulb into an H1 socket?
To get more light!
Wait, what exactly did you do here? Did you do a retrofit and put in a proper hid d2s projector in or did you hack the factory h1 projector to take d2s?
The hack of factory h1, Still can use h1 in there!
If you had the lenses off, why didn't you dechrome the bezels and black them out?
I didnt know that trick, i plan on replacing lens later on, will do that then.
Do a Google search for "best h1 halogen bulb
I like this website, plenty of in car side by side comparisons, really good! www.bulbfacts.com
I did the exact same thing for my integrated fog as I wanted to use it as a DRL
I left it in, DRL is a great idea, did you use a lower wattage globe?

·
Registered
543 Posts
No mate, both sides are hid now, they are 6000k,there is a little yellow amongst the beam.
That's because your bulbs are not seated properly.

20191106_075932.jpg

The hotspot in the red should be shifted a little more to the left.

The lack of hotspot in the blue means that the bulb needs to be readjusted.

Everything above the green should not be there. The purpose of a cutoff shield is to not allow light to go past this point. Improperly installed bulbs can cause this issue as well as the light reflecting off of the chrome.

There is hope thought if I may make a suggestion. Take a look at this kit on ebay. It will come with projectors and brackets made for the 6. They will take d2s bulbs and can be had for right hand drive. If you really want better lighting, spend a little extra money and put a true HID projector in. With this projector being Bi-Xenon, this will make that projector the low and high beam due to the shield. When you hit your high beams, the shield drops down and exposes more of the bulb.

If you are getting new lenses anyway, might as well take the time and try to do it a little more correct.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
wow, you are observant, i did notice that on drive home, i readjusted right more right. the road picture was after that adjusment. The left hand isnt as good as right, yeah likely not in right posi. i did notice alot of glare off chrome,will get rid of it soon.
That kit is nice, at 3 inch though i guess you have to cut out your bezel to accommodate a 3"?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm heavy into aftermarket automotive lighting. I'm currently building a set of lights for my 6. Just need the time to do it.

What watt ballasts are you running? @6000k they should be a little on the blue side. If you are running a 55w ballast, you increase the output by about 10% but lose about 1000k in color.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts