Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I am new here, so forgive me if I am doing this wrong.. I did a quick search and did not see anything..

I have a 2016 Mazda 6 GT with just under 40k.. LOVE the car, it feels really similar to my Legacy 3.0R minus AWD and Boxer flat 6.. I love the responsiveness and sporty ride.. but I am looking to refine it a bit. I already did research on shocks and love that the Bilstein B4s are available, my legacy had Bilstein from factory so I already know it will be an amazing upgrade over stock..

But for now I was thinking about a cheap and easy mod.. Rear sway bar and F and R Sway bushing.. can anyone point me in the direction of what to look for?? should I go 19mm, 20mm ect ect, I think the stock is 16mm ??? I do not want a snappy and un planted turning feel, but I want a refined and sharp turning feel when cruising the back roads

·
Super Moderator
17,306 Posts
Sorry, I don't know enough about the sways to give you an answer, but make sure you check your rear lower shock mounts and see be certain the B4s will fit - read about my experience here: Byakuya's 2014 Grand Touring Shiro Shinobi

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome, Jomo! Some good wisdom in this group, and some entertainment, too.
Byakuya knows his stuff and in this case from unpleasant experience.

In principle, I think your plan to increase roll stiffness is a good way to improve cornering without sacrificing much ride quality. Bushings are a good thought, and certainly a rear sway bar will help. The combo of an adjustable sway bar and swapping from rubber to polyurethane bushings should give you a bunch of options, with a bunch of crawling under the car, too!

Good luck and please keep us informed. I have a 2016 Touring with 36K on it - the saving grace is the stickshift but I do miss the higher trim level of the GT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!!! do you have experience with the ideal thickness?? my previous sporty car had a 18mm stock and I went to a 22mm (though it was awd) and much different handling characteristics regardless. if you now of some previous posts about this feel free to point me in the right direction!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not a clue! There has been some discussion on this forum, but not much that's quantified.
Lots of variables for the sway bars beyond diameter - lever arm, mounting methods, etc.

For street use in a modern Mazda6, I'm leaning towards "better" far more than perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look up the Progress RSB for 3rd gen Mazda3. Little known fact is it fits the 6 perfectly as well. It was the first upgrade I did to my 6 after lots of research comparing Corksport and many others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts