Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sorry, hand surgery this afternoon. Freezing coming out, LH typing haha. TransmissionPan: The 6MT Mazda6 is mildly inferior to AT car from a drive perspective (YMMV). Lousy bottom end torque, no torque multiplication, gravelly first and second. likes to be at full op temp... I am bound to solve most of these issues though :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys. I’m new to this forum. I have a 15’ Mazda 6 automatic transmission and wanted to do pan drop and change out the transmission fluid and strainer. Has anyone used this kit before:

Can you get away with not using RTV sealant to seal the two pans together?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi guys. I’m new to this forum. I have a 15’ Mazda 6 automatic transmission and wanted to do pan drop and change out the transmission fluid and strainer. Has anyone used this kit before:

Can you get away with not using RTV sealant to seal the two pans together?

Thanks
As long as you are putting the included gasket in between you should be fine, but someone please confirm or correct this because I think I may have read somewhere to only use gasket paste with this particular job. As long as you make sure that the mating surface is perfectly clean of old dried up gasket before adding the new one in I think you should be fine. Dont don't forget to give the pan and the included magnet a good clean before resealing everything. I think we managed to drain about 4 or 5L of fluid from the system which is impressive considering total capacity is at about 8L.

·
Registered
16 Posts
with every new comment, i get more apprehensive of taking my car in for the fluid flush :p
A lot of trust involved with the mechanic performing the job.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
To be clear, here, what's being talked-about here is an ATF pan-off fluid drop, filter change, and fluid replenishment. This is NOT a fluid flush that (according to some Mfr's) is sketchy, is not advisable. The key, here, is being obsessively clean. No road debris, etc., should ever fall into the open transaxle dipstick hole!

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
53 Posts
I've done two drain and refill, ~3.7 liter fluid was changed both times, hopefully do the drop with the filter replacement in 1 or 2 weeks. The workshop manual states we should use TB1217E silicone sealant and the application amount (bead thickness) should be between 1.9—6.7 mm {0.08—0.26 in}, but I'm going to use another brand, as ThreeBond not available here.

Anyway, I think these aftermarket gasket's should be fine also if you use the correct torque on the bolts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To be clear, here, what's being talked-about here is an ATF pan-off fluid drop, filter change, and fluid replenishment. This is NOT a fluid flush that (according to some Mfr's) is sketchy, is not advisable. The key, here, is being obsessively clean. No road debris, etc., should ever fall into the open transaxle dipstick hole!
isnt a fluid flush and fluid replacement the same thing? (getting rid of the old dirty fluid and replacing with new fluid)

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
53 Posts
isnt a fluid flush and fluid replacement the same thing? (getting rid of the old dirty fluid and replacing with new fluid)
Replacement a nicer procedure, when you let gravity to drain part of the fluid (between 3-4 liters) through the drain plug (with or without dropping the pan), while flushing a more intrusive thing, when an ATF flush machine pumps the new fluid in and the used one out by force.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replacement a nicer procedure, when you let gravity to drain part of the fluid (between 3-4 liters) through the drain plug (with or without dropping the pan), while flushing a more intrusive thing, when an ATF flush machine pumps the new fluid in and the used one out by force.
Thanks! so with a replacement, how do you get new (clean) fluid back in?

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
53 Posts
Thanks! so with a replacement, how do you get new (clean) fluid back in?
You drain as much fluid as you can, measure it, refill with the new one and check the dipstick. In one cycle you can change around one-third (or if you drop the pan half) of the ATF, but if you think you're going to need more, you can drive a few kilometers and repeat these steps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A "flush" is a type of replacement. So, all flushes are replacements, but not all replacements are flushes.

Drain and refill is what most here mean when they say "fluid replacement."

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've recently gotten flares on my 2-3 shift (atx) where my rpm spikes like 500-700rpm before settling down at the lower rpm for 3rd gear. Is this a cause of concern? Should I drop, replace filter and clean magnet and the problem will go away or is it something worse? I have a 2014 M6 and I've heard rumors that my trans likes to go out at 50K miles I'm at 49k....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
53 Posts
I've recently gotten flares on my 2-3 shift (atx) where my rpm spikes like 500-700rpm before settling down at the lower rpm for 3rd gear. Is this a cause of concern? Should I drop, replace filter and clean magnet and the problem will go away or is it something worse? I have a 2014 M6 and I've heard rumors that my trans likes to go out at 50K miles I'm at 49k....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Is it revving up or you feel a shift shock? Mine has a the latter (after 166k kilometers), it's very noticable when the ATF is cold and better after driving for a while (even better when I shift in M). My assumption is, a pan drop with filter and ATF replacement will solve it, or I hope so :)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts