Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general view of Mazda 6 owners on gear changing.I find the rough change (more so changing 1st to 2nd )very dissapointing and my car has only covered 1500 miles.Anybody with the same problem or solutions ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What is the general view of Mazda 6 owners on gear changing.I find the rough change (more so changing 1st to 2nd )very dissapointing and my car has only covered 1500 miles.Anybody with the same problem or solutions ?
[/b]

yea mine did it.. Replaced trans after 30 k and 5 calles to the dealer and mazda complaining my ass off
[/b]

Yea I also have a rough change mostly from 1st to 2nd. The other gears are no where near as noticeable.
[/b]
What year 6's? Auto or stick?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Redline MT90 fluid will free up the shift a little bit, but I think its just the nature of the transmission. The drop from 3rd to 2nd is fine for me, but 1st to 2nd has always been a bit too rough compared to the others. The Mazdaspeed short shifter makes the shift require a bit more effort, but the shift feels much more firm and direct. Both highly reccommended mods, but still will not completely fix the roughness.

·
Registered
26 Posts
4k miles on my MTX Wagon and the 1-2 shift is still pretty notchy. Nature of the beast I think. The other gears are much smoother.

·
Registered
53 Posts
D00D! Just drive it in first gear! I can't believe I'm the only one to mention this. All the other gears are just for showin off anyway :drive:

Like the other day I was cruisin along with this little piece of ass, going about 50mph in first gear. She turns to me and, shouting loud enough to be heard over the red-lining engine, she says, "You're real good at this, Studly McHotPants!" And I was like "Yeah, well check this out!" Then BAM! I shifted into SECOND GEAR! She was so turned on she nearly drowned in a sea of panty juices. I think I even noticed her CEL flash from severe lack of fluids. You all know it wasn't long before I pulled over and checked her "levels"...

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
MT-90 will help. So will time and use. After close to 30K miles, the shifts in general are smoother.

It is the car as well. I have to concentrate more on shifting this car smoothly than other manuals.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
One thing about this car is that there is throttle lag. If you start stepping on the gas just before hitting the contact point, the gas will come on right about when you release and match the revs so it'll be smoother. That's something I figured out after everyone was complaining about the throttle lag and started doing this. It's much smoother and you're not wearing out the clutch more either because of the throttle lag. You just have to time it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i have an automatic and i always drive it like a manual. when shifting either in manumatic or automatic, i always let off the gas between shifts. it shifts smoother and sounds better with the MagnaFlow exhaust. i always use my manumatic ever since i put on the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I find the shifts on the manumatic harsh and it lags a bit, but if you release the gas, it does seem to shift a bit smoother, but automatics are designed so that you shouldn't have to release gas though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this with my '06 Mazda6 s with auto trans. I consider it a minor annoyance, but feel "it's just the car." First gear on this car is useless. Hitting the gas pedal harder feels like bypassing 1st gear altogether. The 1-to-2 shift is much smoother at higher RPMs.

That's my workaround. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I find the shifts on the manumatic harsh and it lags a bit, but if you release the gas, it does seem to shift a bit smoother, but automatics are designed so that you shouldn't have to release gas though.
[/b]
i just did it to make it smoother and out of habit of driving so many manuals. this is the first ATX car i have owned out of 7. plus, if you see me driving my car is never in ATX mode, it's ALWAYS manumatic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
mike2005
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing