Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, how many would have been interested in a couple version of the 6?
Similar demensions keeping the rear seat very useable with good headroom along with the 6's awesome "sport pacakge" look, maybe a bit different to differentiate. And, a 6 speed as Honda has done with their coupe.

Also, would the standard trunk work on the coupe or use the hatchback as the basis, or both?

Maybe even optional two-tone leather interiors complimenting the exterior color.
It would be cool to have the RX-8 and Nissan Maxima style rear buckets with center console.

Or is this too close to the RX-8?

Tome

·
Registered
543 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda 6 coupe?

Not me. I want to get away from 2-doors. They're a pain in the butt after a while. People having to twist like a pretzel to get in and out of the car, putting/retrieving things from the back seat, trying to vacuum/clean the back seat in such a cramped space, etc.

·
Registered
526 Posts

I'm with Marla - I'd have no use for a two-door. I purposely bought a 4 door ignoring any coupes. My girlfriend has an Eclipse and the way you have to contort when getting in and out of tight places with those giant doors is annoying.

Full-on sports car? No problem - but not the daily driver.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have a 2000 Eclipse (newer body style) right now and those backseats are almost worthless for adults. My nieces and nephews fit just fine though. But, it's nice to be young and limber. I've forgotten what that feels like. :)
What year is your GF's Eclipse?

The main thing I like about coupes is the larger door opening as opposed to 4 doors.
In coupes the wind noise is farther behind your ear as the b pillar is farther behind you.
In 4 doors the b pillar is closer to your ear and makes for lots of noise.
Also, I like the feel in the coupe as the b pillar isn't in your line of sight. But, you pay the price as it makes for a bigger blind spot.

I like the RX8 config with the half doors, and that car could be an option for me, but it has such little torque for a $30k car.

Tome

·
Registered
526 Posts

My GF just got the 2003 GTS loaded to the teeth with a 5 speed manual.

I'll tell you what...that car f'cking screams and has a killer exhuast note straight from the factory.

A 6s, an Eclipse GTS and a Suzuki SV650s in my garage. Lots of S's adding up to some damn nice toys, eh?

·
Registered
269 Posts

I definately would have looked at a coupe... I was going to buy an RX-8 until I realized that the M6 would cost me $9K less...

Jon

·
Registered
980 Posts

I would have no interest for a Mazda 6 coupe. I am in the market for a 4 door car because I need it. However, even if I didn't need it, I would still get a 4 door because 2 door cars can be quite a pain in the ass. The RX-8 is like an ideal compromise.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not for me

Personally, I don't see the point of adding a coupe to a lineup that includes sedan, hatch, and wagon. I suspect the expense of YET ANOTHER body style would be tough for Mazda to justify.

Besides, why put only two doors on a vehicle that's big enough for four? You end up with a "big coupe" along the lines of the Chevy Monte Carlo... ugh. :p Even in my bachelor days, that would've been enough to turn my stomach.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I have no interest in a coupe version of the 6, as a daily driver 4 doors work much better. Several people have asked me why a single, 25 year old would want a sedan, which I find kinda amusing. For a true sports car, sure two doors is fine, but the added room and utility is nice if the car has to be a jack of all trades. I've also read that sedans handle better than coupe counterparts due to their extra structural rigidity from the B pillar and rear doors. I've read this several times on BMW and Audi web sites.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 coupe?'

Originally posted by Brillo
Several people have asked me why a single, 25 year old would want a sedan, which I find kinda amusing.[/b]
I'm right there with you. I'm single 22/m, but I've been driving a sedan for 5 years and wouldn't want to give up those extra two doors. I just like to be able to take a few of my friends some place without having them squeeze in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Interesting.

I find it quite odd that Mazda would build a sedan and a hatchback that look very similar whereas a couple is distinctly different. Right now, Mazda doesn't have a coupe sports car as the RX8 is close but not quite for those who want a real coupe. There is talk, however, that Mazda may bring back the RX7.

For me, a Mazdaspeed 6 coupe would be very interesting especially with AWD and turbo power.
The current cars with such configuations don't look like sports car to me, such as; WRX, EVO.
The Volkswagon R34 is getting close but it's a hatch and the Focus is a hatch as well.
If Mazda went with a couple as well as sedan for the Mazdaspeed version, they would have a new car to appeal to sports car enthusiasts. It would be more in the line of Mits 3000GT VR4, Nissan GTR, pre 2000 Eclipse GSX, but with more room while having much cooler style than the WRX or EVO. Audi, is bringing a coupe version of the A4, it looks very nice.

I don't thing a coupe 6 would ever be confused with any large American coupe especially the like of the Monte Carlo. YUCK! How could one think that a coupe 6 would look anything like those hideous GM styless "cars". For you, one demerit. :)

Interesting points of view. Thanks.

Tome

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I don't think coupes are inherently bad, I just don't like when they try to strech a coupe over a sedan body, like Honda does with the Accord. If you wanted to do a coupe with the 6, you would need to shorten the plateform some so the proportions look correct and the doors aren't just streched. Again, with all that work, you might as well just design a true 2 door RWD sports coupe ala, G35C

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The G35 coupe sits on the sedan platform. If you drive it, you'll note it drives very similar to the sedan. It's nice, but so is the sedan. In comparison, the Z is shorter and if you compare the G coupe to the Z, you'll note the Z is quicker in reflex and more true to a 2 seater sports car.

I don't know. I think a coupe 6 could look nice without taking much room out of it.
There is not hard fast rule that a coupe has to be smaller than a sedan in interior space.
The 6 is not that big in sedan terms as it is. It's smaller than the Accord and Camry and much smaller than the Altima. The 6's demensions aren't so ponderous that a coupe wouldn't look right.

As far a RWD, well that's altogether a different story. But, the RX7 will fit that bill just fine when it comes.

Tome

·
Registered
140 Posts

if you are going to offer a two door I would love a convertible Mazda 6 with an Audi A4 - BMW 3 series type folding top.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ah, a convertible 6. :)
Now, that's something to consider.
Coupe or 4 door or both?

Tome

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 coupe?'

Sweet lord! I saw an A4 2dr convertible just the other day and it looked pretty bad. Not so much the convertible aspect, but the fact that it was a coupe. It was just like any other sedan platform modified for only 2 doors in that it looked stretched out and just...well...not right!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Mazda 6 coupe?'

Yeah, a convertible 6 coupe I'd line up to buy. But a hard top? No way. I got the 6 because I *needed* a 4 door. If I didn't, I'd still be driving this car:
<--------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts