Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone buy a car cover for there 6 / speed6?

I am heading to Virginia for work for a few months and want to cover my car while its stored in the shed here at home... Was wondering if the SIMONIZE PURE PRIMIUM cover from Canadian Tire was any good? It's a lot more expensive than the regular cover... Just wondering if its worth it.

Also... What else should I do to the car before I store it... It may only be for a month or two at the most. Should I leave the tank near empty? Should I put it on blocks. And should I put the summer tires back on and store the winters seeing that we don't seem to have any snow here in Southern Ontario... :p

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i got mine from the dealership and it's great....form fitting

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya but isn't it like $400

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a similar breathable car cover - nothing 6-specific and it fits great. Keep the dust and bird poop off. I can't recall the name at the moment, but I bought it from Canadian Tire a while ago.

I wouldn't leave the tank empty. It should in fact be as full as possible to keep moisture from building up inside the tank. You may want to add fuel stabilizer if you're going away for a lonnnng time. I have left my car for as long as 7 weeks without running it, and the fuel was fine.

The crappy part was the rear brakes. I had to leave it outside-ish during the winter, and although the paint was well protected with the tarp/overhang that it was stored under, the rotors were heavily rusted. If you're keeping it in a completely covered shed, mind you, I would think it will be alright.

I'll ask some hot-rod friends for other long term storage tips and let you know what I find. Several of them park their cars in October and take them out in May.

Come to think of it - Chris - if you're reading this - isn't your 6 in storage? Anyone else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts