Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working through a problem with our radio in our 2006 6 . With help from Forum members, it appears that the fault is in the antenna base in the roof. There is no continuity from the antenna itself, the metal part , to the connector behind the kick panel on the drivers side. I have popped the headliner down above the rear window, and have tried to tighten down the bolt. The antenna lead itself is below the nut that we are trying to tighten. How is this lead held down, is it just a push fit? If it just pops off, as the Mazda on line manual seems to indicate, I could get a socket on there to make sure it is tight. Up till now we have been trying to tighten it with Needle nose pliers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So yes, it does just pop off! But, that ain't it! I still have no continuity between the roof end of the cable that I can now access and the other end down in the front kick panel. So now is there another connection between the roof and the kick panel?

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Hey Gelli, sorry but I don't remember anything about that system. It's possible @DrFeelGood or @GerryB or @waughoo know more about it.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Wish I could help you, Gelli, but I never ventured into that part of the car.

Doctor?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Here are the photos from a Mazda parts online site. It has 2 different diagrams and shows the same for different years and models so they may be generic pics.
20191108_112343.png

20191108_112422.png

It didn't say where these are exactly but you could follow the line and find out.

My antenna is integrated into the rear glass so it may differ but I need to change my battery tonight or 1st thing in the a.m.(relocated into the trunk) so I'll take a look to see what I can find on the drivers side behind the trunk lining and beside the rear seat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the info! My cable runs back under the drivers door and runs to the antenna in the roof from that same side, but I can only see a small part of either end. It does look though from the first diagram, that there could be multiple connections! I may have to pull a few more panels off!

·
Rally Racer
2,066 Posts
Nice work @DJ Raydiate I'm guessing the pics are for wagon vs hatch/sedan. They may also be generic.
I have a wagon and can access the antenna from the rear gate (slide under the headliner)
There are connections along the way of the antenna cable and it is possible that one of them has shaken loose. they will likely have to be inspectec visually and that means taking off all the paneling. Sounds like you are doing good work chasing it down. Thank you for posting your findings.

I will upload what I have that may be relevant for you.
From my Google Drive.
Center Roof Antenna
Mazda 6 Training Manual Facelift

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for those links! It looks as though there is only one connection in the antenna on a 4 door sedan , and that's the one I can get to. I'd better check that continuity again, and if there is still a problem, I'll see if mine is wired like a HB and check that connection above the wheel arch. I wonder how you get to that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So, I didn't get much time to look into this but I didn't see anything inside the trunk liner. There are only 2 cables plus the wiring harness back there. 1 is for the fuel door release and the other is for the back seat release. It will more than likely be in the C pillar panel and run down beside the bottom rear seat and up the sills. I didn't have time to look hard into it but that's where I would star next.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for looking at that Ray. The little bits of the antenna that I can see, are different from both diagrams, so I am hopeful there will be a connection I can find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The diagram that Dr sent looks as though the antenna comes down the middle of the c pillar and the connection is just above the wheel, which would put it in the trunk . But as you did, I found nothing there. I pulled off the seat side panel, but again nothing. It looks as though there is a bundle which could contain the antenna going up into the c panel cover , so that will be next but I'm getting a bit of heat about taking SWMBO's car apart so I may leave it a while!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts