Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GJ Mazda 6 Touring Sedan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post here! I bought a late 2012 3rd Gen Mazda 6 Touring not long ago and I have a loud like a crack kind of noise coming from the rear window only when it is cold and only happens once! It only happens if I go over the speed hump in my street or leaving my nature strip first thing on a cold morning, never during the day or when it is warm.
My quick research shows it might have something to do with the mounting points the factory uses to align the rear glass when installing are moving?
Any help would be great.
Cheers
Dimi

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I bought a late 2012 3rd Gen Mazda 6
I thought the 3rd Gen started on the 2014 model.

My quick research shows it might have something to do with the mounting points the factory uses to align the rear glass when installing are moving?
I didn't get this, "installing when moving".

Since I don't understand the issue you have with your car, I suggest that you use silicone spray. Use it around the window seal. It makes the glass to glide smoothly.

And for me to be relevant, you might want to remove the door cover and see where that crack came from. I mean, for you to hear that crack must mean something broke. Unless the "crack" you are describing is not the sound of a cracking glass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the 3rd Gen started on the 2014 model.

I didn't get this, "installing when moving".

Since I don't understand the issue you have with your car, I suggest that you use silicone spray. Use it around the window seal. It makes the glass to glide smoothly.

And for me to be relevant, you might want to remove the door cover and see where that crack came from. I mean, for you to hear that crack must mean something broke. Unless the "crack" you are describing is not the sound of a cracking glass.
Thanks for the reply. My bad english, I was meant to delete 'when moving' before posting.
It sounds like a crack but I can assure you nothing is broken. The glass is intact.
I will try some spray and see how it goes.
My car is the GJ which comes up as 3rd gen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the rear window/screen or one of the rear door windows? Also Mazda 6 Touring. Touring as in spec or as in estate/station/wagon?

2012 in UK also
It sounds like it’s coming from the rear windscreen and not the doors.
It’s a 6 Touring spec sedan

·
Super Moderator
18,220 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

We get a couple of these threads every year once it starts getting cold. It's a known issue on 3rd gens (particularly the oldest ones) where a screw/something rubs up against the glass and makes a scary noise. Some on here have managed to stick some felt between the screw and the glass to minimize the noise. Others, me included, have just lived with it. and expect it when it's really cold out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum!

We get a couple of these threads every year once it starts getting cold. It's a known issue on 3rd gens (particularly the oldest ones) where a screw/something rubs up against the glass and makes a scary noise. Some on here have managed to stick some felt between the screw and the glass to minimize the noise. Others, me included, have just lived with it. and expect it when it's really cold out.
Thankyou for the info. My car was a December 2012 build so yes one of the very early builds. It’s a loud noise but it only happens once in the cold then that’s it! I saw a plastic guide screw that is attached to the window that sits through a metal guide on the roof that I assume the noise is coming from but I’m not sure it it’s that. There are two, one on each end of the glass just under the roof liner. I sprayed some silicone spray there so will see how that works.

·
Super Moderator
18,220 Posts
Thankyou for the info. My car was a December 2012 build so yes one of the very early builds. It’s a loud noise but it only happens once in the cold then that’s it! I saw a plastic guide screw that is attached to the window that sits through a metal guide on the roof that I assume the noise is coming from but I’m not sure it it’s that. There are two, one on each end of the glass just under the roof liner. I sprayed some silicone spray there so will see how that works.
You're probably on the right track. Some of us have an annoying squeaking/scratching noise for a good 10 minutes each time we start driving in the cold, others get the single, loud, crack. I've honestly never seen a full solution for this problem and I'm lucky enough to have a garage so I don't deal with it too often.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I hope you can take a picture and post it here. I'm curious as a cat...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope you can take a picture and post it here. I'm curious as a cat...
Automotive lighting Sunglasses Hood Trunk Automotive design

That plastic is attached to the glass so I’m assuming it moves against the metal when it’s cold or it expands and contracts with the temp?

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
272 Posts
It’s a lot clearer to me now with the picture. I wonder if you can drive a small wedge into the clip where the little retainer lug pokes out. Just to make it a tighter fit?

I’ve not had mine long enough and it’s not cold here yet but will report if mine will do the same once winter starts. Mine is a October 2014 😬

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

It sounds like it’s coming from the rear windscreen and not the doors.
It’s a 6 Touring spec sedan
You got me confused! I suggested to remove the door cover because you said rear window.

Now that it's clear, together with the picture, it might help if you use a silicone spray. Otherwise, you will just have to live with it.

In my case, but not related to your issue, I always hear a thud sound or something in a particular hump. It only happens when I pass through it so there's no way for me to replicate the issue if I were to bring it to our local dealer. No other humps or potholes will create that sound, only in that particular hump. Weird!

Good thing that @tickerguy suggested using silicone spray on a particular part underneath the car. I don't know what it is called but the annoying sound disappeared. I haven't heard it since then and I think it has been a year.

So hopefully, if that is the source of the cracking sound, silicone spray will be the solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You got me confused! I suggested to remove the door cover because you said rear window.

Now that it's clear, together with the picture, it might help if you use a silicone spray. Otherwise, you will just have to live with it.

In my case, but not related to your issue, I always hear a thud sound or something in a particular hump. It only happens when I pass through it so there's no way for me to replicate the issue if I were to bring it to our local dealer. No other humps or potholes will create that sound, only in that particular hump. Weird!

Good thing that @tickerguy suggested using silicone spray on a particular part underneath the car. I don't know what it is called but the annoying sound disappeared. I haven't heard it since then and I think it has been a year.

So hopefully, if that is the source of the cracking sound, silicone spray will be the solution.
I will see in the morning if the silicone spray did anything. It will be cold in the morning as I leave around 4.30 am. I’ll try and video the noise too.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
View attachment 243744
That plastic is attached to the glass so I’m assuming it moves against the metal when it’s cold or it expands and contracts with the temp?
So, it seems to me that there are two of these, at the top of the backlight, and they allow the backlight (rear window) to be put in place without it sagging, sliding down the inclined window opening... at least for as long as it takes for the urethane sealant to cure? They are obviously, then, an in-factory mfg aid?

Do I have this right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, it seems to me that there are two of these, at the top of the backlight, and they allow the backlight (rear window) to be put in place without it sagging, sliding down the inclined window opening... at least for as long as it takes for the urethane sealant to cure? They are obviously, then, an in-factory mfg aid?

Do I have this right?
That’s what I believe they are for from what I have read online. Just wondering if they are also the cause of the noise in the early builds.

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
272 Posts

Do I have this right?

I think you are right. I watched a video a couple of days back of the Mazda 6 manufacturing and they install the front and rear screen within a minute. I think it was this one but not sure. Watched a few when I got bored...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts