Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda 6s 2007
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that leak is very tricky to detect. The car iss leaking infront of the engine the whole timing cover is covered with oil and i dont know where its coming from. I looked at the oil pan i see it dripping but its coming from up up. The more i look up the more oil i see. FYI i changed valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, crankshaft gasket, ocv gasket, rear main seal is changed but no oil there. Ill post some pictures but they are going to be useless as everything from the front of the engine is covered with oil. What is the concern here. Also the mechanic told me timing cover gasket is leaking but not noticeable at all and no need to change it cuz its expensive but he said there is maybe a sensor behind the engine under the valve cover he said that its soaking with oil so it might be from it. Dont know yet he washed the engine and now driving it to see if its going to come back. Any suggestions?
This is from the front

This is the 2 bolts from the oil pan soaking in oil

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would wash the engine and get up under the car right after it is all dry and check fkr leaks while it's running. This is the way I found out my mechanic forgot to put silicone where the oil pan meets the timing chain cover. Same was with the crank shaft, no silicone in the notch where the crankshaft puley goes.

Back of the valve cover right above timing cover also likes to leak.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
These cars leak like crazy! The timing cover and valve covers are the biggest culprits. Another trouble spot is the rear cam seal where the water pump pulley is. Fixing the timing cover leak is a major repair. Valve covers aren't too bad.

My crank pulley seal was leaking also. Like DB0511 there was no silicone in the keyway when I took it apart and that was probably more of the leak than the seal.

·
Registered
Mazda 6s 2007
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would wash the engine and get up under the car right after it is all dry and check fkr leaks while it's running. This is the way I found out my mechanic forgot to put silicone where the oil pan meets the timing chain cover. Same was with the crank shaft, no silicone in the notch where the crankshaft puley goes.

Back of the valve cover right above timing cover also likes to leak.

Hmmm where is the area where the oil pan meets with the timing cover i think this area is already covered by the gasket material? Is there a place where its not covered by that gasket material plz let me know maybe thats my problem because i recently changed my oil pan and it slowed down but kept leaking. I have other leaks but that is the most noticible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gasket is not able to seal that part. Service manual calls for a dab of silicone on both sides where oil pan meets timing chain cover and engine e block

·
Registered
Mazda 6s 2007
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These cars leak like crazy! The timing cover and valve covers are the biggest culprits. Another trouble spot is the rear cam seal where the water pump pulley is. Fixing the timing cover leak is a major repair. Valve covers aren't too bad.

My crank pulley seal was leaking also. Like DB0511 there was no silicone in the keyway when I took it apart and that was probably more of the leak than the seal.
Doesnt the crank pulley have an oring that goes behind it when removing the pulley? Isnt that enough to keep the oil out?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dab of silicone to cover that. If its not there it will leak 100%. Same goes for crankshaft puley. You need to add silicone in that keyway

·
Registered
Mazda 6s 2007
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dab of silicone to cover that. If its not there it will leak 100%. Same goes for crankshaft puley. You need to add silicone in that keyway

Wow didn't know that at all, the sad part is i just changed my oil pan and crank pulley gasket🤦

·
Registered
93 Posts
For crank pulley you just need to remove the pulley, add silicone and install pulley. For oil pan it would be a hit and miss. You may get away with just removing the pan and adding silicone but gasket may leak in other places. It all depends on the gasket condition.

·
Registered
Mazda 6s 2007
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For crank pulley you just need to remove the pulley, add silicone and install pulley. For oil pan it would be a hit and miss. You may get away with just removing the pan and adding silicone but gasket may leak in other places. It all depends on the gasket condition.

[/QUOTim sure its the oil pan thats making me lose alot of oil, i also have the

Im sure im losing alot of oil from the oil pan and i also have the leaking from rear cam where the water pump is located that pulley on the right also its wiggles while that pulley moves, i also have the crank so 3 main leaks and timing cover is not noticible its going to be big job going to have to take the weekend to work on it🤦

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im sure im losing alot of oil from the oil pan and i also have the leaking from rear cam where the water pump is located that pulley on the right also its wiggles while that pulley moves, i also have the crank so 3 main leaks and timing cover is not noticible its going to be big job going to have to take the weekend to work on it
If you ever took that pulley off it may be bent

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pulley. Mine wiggles a little also but no issues for many years

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2004 with 160k miles. Recently did a compression test on all cylinders. It was 14 bar on all except 1 that was 13.5 but that is well within spec. Those 3.0 engines are pretty good as long as you keep up the maintnance and use good oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts