Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. Winter is comming, so I want buy some winter tires. The problem is that R19 tires are not cheap and options for R19 are limited. Also I have found that some ppl switch to R17+cheaper tires for winter. My Mazda 6 2018 USA Touring somehow tracks pressure in tires but I have no idea how. Are there any indicators inside rims and I have to buy additional indicators for R17 rims too ? Or just simply R17rims+tires and nothing additional required ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can get winter tire/wheel packages from Tire Rack in 17" diameter for your Mazda6. If you don't go with 19" on stock wheels -- ungodly expensive!! -- you can use the following sizes
16" wheel: tire should be 215/65-16 or 225/60-16
17" wheel: tire should be 215/60-17 or 225/55-17
18" wheel: tire should be 225/50-18 or 235/45-18

The tire and wheel together are only slightly more expensive than the honking huge 19" snows, and arguably better in deep snow with a narrower width. Once you have them, no more tire mounting and balancing twice a year when changing over to winter. Also lets you have nice touring tires in summer on your 19" summer wheels. A bit painful now, but a long-term nice thing to have in the future.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get winter tire/wheel packages from Tire Rack in 17" diameter for your Mazda6. If you don't go with 19" on stock wheels -- ungodly expensive!! -- you can use the following sizes

The tire and wheel together are only slightly more expensive than the honking huge 19" snows, and arguably better in deep snow with a narrower width. Once you have them, no more tire mounting and balancing twice a year when changing over to winter. Also lets you have nice touring tires in summer on your 19" summer wheels. A bit painful now, but a long-term nice thing to have in the future.

Hope this helps!
Got it! But what about pressure indication ? Do I have to purchase extra indicators for 17 rims ?

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,703 Posts
Got it! But what about pressure indication ? Do I have to purchase extra indicators for 17 rims ?
In a word, no.

If you want to swap the TPMS to the smaller wheels/tires, that's fine.

If you want to order a set of 17-inch wheels/tires, and keep the 19-inch wheels for the warmer months, you do NOT need to purchase separate TPMS sensors for the 17-inch wheels. If you decide to run without the sensors, the TPMS light on the dash will flash on/off for the first minute after you start up the car, then the light will stay on. However, it does NOT affect the ABS/stability control, or any other system on the 6. So, if you're OK with the extra light on during the winter, you're all set.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Hope this helps!
I can confirm 225/50R/18’s as I recently downsized rims when my OEM’s were getting close to the wear indicators. I ordered 225/55R/18’s, not the 50 series. I wanted a bit more sidewall and flex for ride comfort. I have noticed my speedo at 70mph is actually 72mph. At lower speeds, hardly noticeable. Not enough to warrant a ticket doing 46 in a 45.

and the other poster is correct. 19” tires are ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
1,011 Posts
The 2014 doesn't have TPMS sensors, it works by measuring and comparing tire rotation.
Not sure about the 2018.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 2014 doesn't have TPMS sensors, it works by measuring and comparing tire rotation.
Not sure about the 2018.
2018’s do have TPMS sensors. Sadly, they aren’t dedicated to their specific wheel. If your PSI drops in one tire more than 20%, the warning indicator lights up on the console. But there is no hint at which wheel. You’ll have to rely upon your keen eyesight to make that determination.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you buy your Winter Tire/Wheel package from Tire Rack, and input your vehicle, they will automatically try to include the TPMS sensors with your purchase. If you want to buy without them you'll have to speak to a Service Advisor on the phone.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
If you buy your Winter Tire/Wheel package from Tire Rack, and input your vehicle, they will automatically try to include the TPMS sensors with your purchase. If you want to buy without them you'll have to speak to a Service Advisor on the phone.
So just choose the previous year, 17 didnt have them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts