Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought a 2017 Mazda 6 Touring and Halogen makes night driving a little difficult. I got these ones on deal for 55 bucks and was thinking to replace the halogen. I checked at a near showroom and they quoted 200$ labour to put this and tweak some electrical so it wont burn off prematurely. Is this the case, any one has experience with this?. Please advice

Here is the link to the Led Kit i bought.

HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11(H8,H9), Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White ( Wont allow to post link)

Note : I am not looking for a housing replacement or any just changing the halogen ones to LED if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you please post some Links for the same ?. I am kind of a newbie in this and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Whatever you do, don't pay someone to install - if you lack the tools, you can buy them for much less and there are probably many videos showing you how to do it. If you already bought them, then go try them out by swapping yourself with the halogens and see what errors you get. I have no 3rd gen 6 exp here, but common issues with swapping halogen to LED has to do the reduced power draw making your car think there's a problem, and also if the car uses the low-beams at a lower voltage for the daytime-running-lights (DLRs) can cause the LEDs to flicker. Hikari sells a harness that should help with the errors/flickers if that's needed. One other item is to inspect the beam pattern, but you'll probably decide the increase in brightness is worth a slightly less perfect pattern. I threw some Cougar Motors LEDs in my Milan's low-beams (1st gen 6 platform) and it was a reasonable upgrade - I get a check headlight message (that I can clear), but no flicker issues and it was truly plug-and-play.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I would not do it.

If you are unhappy with the light performance on the halogens there's an inexpensive option (under $20) that will fix that -- it's just a bulb swap to H9s and takes 2 minutes with a dremel per-bulb. You're not overloading your wiring harness nor overheating the lamp housings this way, and more importantly you're also preserving the beam pattern exactly, which is a VERY BIG DEAL, especially in the low beams.

Just keep another pair in the car already-modified as there is no free lunch. The trade-off is that bulb life is roughly halved, so yes, they burn out more frequently. But what is "more-frequently"? I drive a LOT and I get about two years out of a set..... which I don't consider unreasonable at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts