Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both headlights are yellowing with age. I haven't been successful with headlight cleaning products in the past but if you can suggest something I might give it a try.

What I am asking is mainly, if I can change just the front headlamp lenses as I've seen some models have that option. If not - what would be a good site to look for replacement headlights?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,829 Posts
1. I swear by Meguiar's "PlastX" for cleaning my and my wife's headlights. Hers are yellowing quite a bit (2010 mazda3) but some good elbow grease with this stuff and they're back to normal. Typically lasts about 6 months before I see a tinge in them again.

2. The lenses CAN be replaced separately, but I don't know of anyone just selling that piece. You can check JimEllisMazdaParts, or ask someone at MAZMART if they can find some.

The process to replace them requires you pull the headlight off the car, bake it in an oven at 300 for 5-10 minutes to soften the rubber seal, pulling them apart, then re-baking the seal around what would be the new lens.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
My '10 also has this issue, but I've found Meguiar's two-step headlight restoration kit to work pretty well. It's supposed to last for a year, but it's been close to two years since my last application, and they're just starting to get a yellow tint.

As for the lenses sold separately, I haven't seen any vendor sell the lenses like that, only the entire headlamp unit. If you go this route, be aware there's two different types: units for halogen headlamps, and units for the HID setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. If I can find just the lenses I'll go for it. Tried the Megyar kit on my VW and didn't do anything, actually bought two separate brands of lens cleaner and bought with abysmal results. I'm replacing the VW lights as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts