Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to say that my knowledge of vehicles is somewhat limited. This doesn't mean I can't research how to do things on the internet just letting everyone know my knowledge level, now on to my issue!

I have a 2009 Mazda 6 s Touring and just last week I was going to get in the car and I pressed my keyless ignition button and it didn't start. I noticed a red key light on the dash and a red light on the start button. I proceeded to use the back up key and that didn't work either. I went on some other forums and tried to find out what was going on and some suggested I disconnect the battery. Well I disconnected it and went to autozone to have it checked and everything was alright with it except that it needed a charge (Lights worked on the car so I'm not sure how much of a charge it needed). They charged it and I put it back in the car but again nothing.

I called my dealership about this and of course they pretty much just told me to take it down to them... but.... I can't drive it so yea...

Is there anyone who has had this problem or know what I could do to fix it??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never changed the battery from the original. So essentially it has a 5 year old battery in it. The only thing is that the battery checked out at Autozone are there other things that they just can't check for?

·
Registered
923 Posts
My battery died mid-last year. (2009 car) It seemed to be perfect for 5 years and then just dies all of a sudden.
It may charge fine, but it's likely not a healthy battery. Time for a new one.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a 2009 Mazda 6 s Touring and just last week I was going to get in the car and I pressed my keyless ignition button and it didn't start. I noticed a red key light on the dash and a red light on the start button. I proceeded to use the back up key and that didn't work either.
What do you mean by backup key?

Was it your second key fob when you purchased the car? Maybe that battery is also dead.

Or, did you remove the physical key from the key fob and stick it into the ignition slot on the steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Red key light means either the car battery is too weak to pick up the key signal OR the key battery is too weak for the car to register a reading. If you popped off the ignition lock cover and tried the actual key and it still didn't start, then change your car battery. The battery's probably got a dead cell(s) and not enough cold cranking amps.

Reactions: tommyz23

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Have you changed the remote battery and hit the unlock button?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I don't have a plausable solution but, if it were mine and this has happened to mine at work and nearly left me stranded, a $15 investment will help EVERYONE UNDERSTAND the ROOT CAUSE - a basic hand held multimeter.

Connect it across the battery teminals = should see 12.6 to 12.9Vdc
Leave the hood up and wedge the leads in or have someone turn the key. If the voltage dips under 11.0V your battery is not doing well. Depending on its depth of charge, some will start a car at 11v. Others, will do nothing or drop lower.

This is a life saving tool! If the voltage when you hit the key remains at 12.9V, you have a fault that never engages the stater. It should dip slightly from running the electronics AND the fuel pump. This is normal.

Even with your new batter - it tells you something.
Change the remote batter and then check all the fuses and Read the owners manual.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a multimeter and the voltages look ok. Yesterday a buddy of mine and my father checked the car and did a bunch of stuff to try and make it work. Disconnecting the battery reconnecting it locking the car and getting the keeps far away from it. That didn't work.

Could it be something with the fuse box? Something also worth mentioning for a while before this happened anytime I would leave the car locked my alarm would just randomly go off. Because of this I just left it unlocked most of the time (I live in a fairly good neighborhood). I have heard that it could mean faulty wires? Could this be the cause? Or am I just talking out of my ass.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The rear door lock mechanisms are known to fail. Two indicators....the alarm randomly goes off thinking the door opened and the interior dome lights will come on (as if the door is open). Neither will prevent the car from starting. The car won't start if the anti theft was armed and it doesn't recognize the remote, but a key will override that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2009 Mazda 6 I grand touring with advanced key fob, experienced the same exact issue nov 2013. Took to Mazda dealer found battery and alternator were fine. Key fob battery was weak / dead so replaced that battery and fully charged the car battery, and the problem was solved. Until jan 19 2014, the same exact issue occurred again. Back to the dealer for resolution today. I will post my results but it seems Mazda is over their heads with this advanced key fob. I've only owned the car since August 2013, purchased used with only 34k miles. Could it be that I'm storing my keys and key fob too close to the car in the room next to the garage to where the fob and car are constantly talking and thus draining electricity????

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My keys are within 6 ft of the car and the battery life is still about 2 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
THread necromancy again, but I had the same problem in my 09 6s GT. Red key light would come on while driving, all electronics would go dead, but the car would keep driving just fine. Pull over, stop, restart the car, gauges came back, amber key light stayed lit. Eventually, it stranded my wife at home one day when it wouldn't even start. We tried replacing the car battery and remote batteries and neither fixed the problem.

I solved it by taking each of the connectors off of the BCM (located behind a bit of plastic trim by the drivers left foot), cleaning the connections and spraying them with dielectric grease. Haven't had a single recurrence since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to say that my knowledge of vehicles is somewhat limited. This doesn't mean I can't research how to do things on the internet just letting everyone know my knowledge level, now on to my issue!

I have a 2009 Mazda 6 s Touring and just last week I was going to get in the car and I pressed my keyless ignition button and it didn't start. I noticed a red key light on the dash and a red light on the start button. I proceeded to use the back up key and that didn't work either. I went on some other forums and tried to find out what was going on and some suggested I disconnect the battery. Well I disconnected it and went to autozone to have it checked and everything was alright with it except that it needed a charge (Lights worked on the car so I'm not sure how much of a charge it needed). They charged it and I put it back in the car but again nothing.

I called my dealership about this and of course they pretty much just told me to take it down to them... but.... I can't drive it so yea...

·
Registered
2 Posts

So did u ever find out the problem I’m having this same problem stuck at wprk

·
Registered
1 Posts
So did u ever find out the problem I’m having this same problem stuck at wprk
Did you ever figure out your issue? My car has been down for almost a month now trying to figure this out. The battery has been checked and charged multiple times, checked fuses and relays, checked the starter, ground wire, wires for push start ignition, not the fuel pump, terminals, connectors, etc, etc. The first time that you go try to start it, the light will be green, and everything lights up like it is going to start, but no crank, nothing. Then after that, it goes red lights instead of green. Tried to buy pass the alarm system thru the radio from a post I saw on the Internet, but it wouldn't pull up the menu like it was suppose to. I'm thinking the only thing it could be now, is the ignition module needs reprogrammed. Which closest dealership is in the next state, have to have it towed, and whatever the dealer is going to charge, I can't afford all that! Plus, everybody saying they are booked up for weeks! I need my car a month ago! Any suggestions or did you figure your issue out? I'm sorry for asking a question on somebody else's thread! I'm at my wits end with this issue! I love my car and do not want to get rid of it! 2009 Mazda 6i touring 2.5

1 - 20 of 20 Posts