Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I was wondering how easy it is to replace a manual shifter knob in a 2007 mazda 6? My current knob is not cracked or anything, I just want to replace it for cosmetic reasons.

·
Super Moderator
17,743 Posts
^^ Pretty much.

Unscrew the knob and screw on a new one - simple as that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey! I was wondering how easy it is to replace a manual shifter knob in a 2007 mazda 6? My current knob is not cracked or anything, I just want to replace it for cosmetic reasons.
Mine has a Razo shifter (manual weighted, but I have an ATX) since about two months after I brought it home new from the dealer. Odd reason: I got wart like bumps on fingertips. Went to my primary doctor, went to a dermatologist who gave me a whole bunch of things to try. Finally thought about where my hand was and that it only started when I picked up the car. Switched shifter, problem abates. Comes back sometimes when I get a long term rental. Despite being an ATX, guess where my hand sits? :)

Kicker is previous car was a 1998 626 V6 with a MTX, no problem…

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Mine has a Razo shifter (manual weighted, but I have an ATX) since about two months after I brought it home new from the dealer. Odd reason: I got wart like bumps on fingertips. Went to my primary doctor, went to a dermatologist who gave me a whole bunch of things to try. Finally thought about where my hand was and that it only started when I picked up the car. Switched shifter, problem abates. Comes back sometimes when I get a long term rental. Despite being an ATX, guess where my hand sits? :)

You need to invest in Clorox wipes dude...wtf, thats gross.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You literally just grab the shift knob and turn it counterclockwise to unscrew it. If it's never been taken of it might take some force to get it off the first time, after that it's a piece of cake.

·
Rally Racer
3,137 Posts

Good bit of detective work. My mom gets blister like things on her skin from coming in contact with certain metals.

It should be noted that resting your hand on the shifter of an MTX is generally a good way to wear parts out fast. Resting the foot on the clutch pedal can do this too.

Carry on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wanted to add that I picked up a m10 * 1.5mm shift knob and it didn't fit the thread of the metal rod unlike what some forums say. I believe you need to purchase m10*1.25mm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts