Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling to take out the turbochargers out of the Mazda 6, can't see 2 of the manifold bolts and also can't get access to split the top turbo.
What's the best way to get them out. Anyone got a workshop manual on it. I have the DPF off, bottom bracket, alloy intake pipe etc but cannot see how to get to bolts. Is this an engine out job?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It's unfortunate that very few members here have the diesel variant. Mine is relatively new, only around 56,000 km.

If I may ask, what's the problem? What happened that you want to remove the turbocharger?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Im pretty sure you only have one turbo also.
Nope, he's got two - 1 small 1 large. Mazda made a heck of an engine for non-North America buyers.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything about replacing them or any manuals. :(

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Nope, he's got two - 1 small 1 large. Mazda made a heck of an engine for non-North America buyers.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything about replacing them or any manuals. :(
Now I am reminded! The turbocharger assembly is composed of a small one for low RPM and the large one for high RPM. I can't remember the details but I think that's it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im pretty sure you only have one turbo also.
These cars have two turbos but as a unit look like one. The reason for two turbos is that there is a small one with low inertia that spools up quickly which prevents the turbo lag of previous models circa 2000. Once up to a certain speed and gas flow changes over to the larger one smoothly so no lag up to 2000 rpm.
I would be interested on how the DPF comes out as I feel a good soak in soapy water would clean it out back to new. The soapy water routine I have used for carboned exhaust valves and turbocharger turbine nozzle rings with 100% success. Much easier than proprietry chemicals that are a bit nasty to the hands. All you are doing is adding a mild alkali to mild acid of the carbon and it just breaks up the carbon into sand like particles with time , say a few hours or overnight. If boiling water is used better still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts