Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I'm not a qualified mechanic by any stretch I'm just going by what I've read online and with basic knowledge of cars.

So I've got a 2014 mazda 6 2.2d sport grand tourer which I bought from a trader in july, worked absolutely fine up until around a month ago when it started to show the 'low oil pressure, engine damage possible, check oil level' red triangle warning light on the cluster display along with engine management light. At first I thought this was just a sensor issue as I took it to a garage and the oil was below the X marker. He recommended I just drained the oil and changed the filter and oil so I did that and it went off.

For a few weeks. The oil level rose again and this time the oil change due notification come along with the engine management light but no oil pressure light. I then figured out this only happened when the fuel level was below about an 8th of a tank. Once filled back up the warning light would go out and business as usual.

I was getting a bit concerned as this shouldnt be happening so I did a bit of reading online and I read it could be a DPF issue with the oil level rising diesel could be going down into the oil from the injectors spraying extra diesel into the combustion chamber to burn off the excess soot that had accumulated. Thus thinning the oil out and triggering the low oil pressure warning. This made perfect sense as I do a lot of short journey driving in my job, rarely giving the exhaust time to properly regen, plus my fuel economy had dropped down to about 28mpg from the 45mpg I was getting before. So I did a forced regen on it and drove up and down the M1 at about 3000rpm for an hour and this kicked out a lot of smoke after about 20 mins so I was getting my Hopes up.

It seemed to have fixed the issue of fuel economy and the drive felt a hell of a lot smoother so I was really happy. So all that needed to be done was to change the oil again as it had been diluted with diesel and raised above its recommended level.

I did this a couple of nights ago, The oil did smell like diesel and when I took the filter off no excess oil come out after unscrewing which seemed a bit odd as it has every other time I've changed the oil. When refilled and put back together the issue just got worse, it instantly went into limp mode every time I turned the engine on and this time spat out two fault codes:

P0524 - engine oil pressure too low
P055F - engine oil pressure out of range

I cleared the codes using the obd reader I have and it just instantly put them back up. Restarting the engine didnt clear it either. I drove it back home to my house around 2 miles away and the engine sounded extremely loud on tick over like it has no oil running through it at all and is very dry. Almost like a quieter tractor. So my suspicions are pointing towards the oil pump but I dont know if it's the pump or a clogged strainer or another fault because its just beyond my knowledge.

Has anyone else seen or had this fault and can you please help as Mazda are obviously as expected saying it could be upwards of 3k to get this fixed from what I've told them but i want to know if anyone knows exactly what the problem could be so I can just buy the exact bits and replace them instead of buying loads of parts it doesnt need.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Really dont want to lose this car as I love it and never had problems with Mazda until now (4th mazda car)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Ow.

If you ran it for a couple of miles with effectively no oil pressure the odds are very high your engine is toast. I'd bet on an oil pump failure (possibly the bypass/pressure regulator stuck open) but whatever the cause even a few seconds of operation under load with no oil pressure is usually fatal to the main and rod bearings, and often the cam too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firstly I'm not a qualified mechanic by any stretch I'm just going by what I've read online and with basic knowledge of cars.

So I've got a 2014 mazda 6 2.2d sport grand tourer which I bought from a trader in july, worked absolutely fine up until around a month ago when it started to show the 'low oil pressure, engine damage possible, check oil level' red triangle warning light on the cluster display along with engine management light. At first I thought this was just a sensor issue as I took it to a garage and the oil was below the X marker. He recommended I just drained the oil and changed the filter and oil so I did that and it went off.

For a few weeks. The oil level rose again and this time the oil change due notification come along with the engine management light but no oil pressure light. I then figured out this only happened when the fuel level was below about an 8th of a tank. Once filled back up the warning light would go out and business as usual.

I was getting a bit concerned as this shouldnt be happening so I did a bit of reading online and I read it could be a DPF issue with the oil level rising diesel could be going down into the oil from the injectors spraying extra diesel into the combustion chamber to burn off the excess soot that had accumulated. Thus thinning the oil out and triggering the low oil pressure warning. This made perfect sense as I do a lot of short journey driving in my job, rarely giving the exhaust time to properly regen, plus my fuel economy had dropped down to about 28mpg from the 45mpg I was getting before. So I did a forced regen on it and drove up and down the M1 at about 3000rpm for an hour and this kicked out a lot of smoke after about 20 mins so I was getting my Hopes up.

It seemed to have fixed the issue of fuel economy and the drive felt a hell of a lot smoother so I was really happy. So all that needed to be done was to change the oil again as it had been diluted with diesel and raised above its recommended level.

I did this a couple of nights ago, The oil did smell like diesel and when I took the filter off no excess oil come out after unscrewing which seemed a bit odd as it has every other time I've changed the oil. When refilled and put back together the issue just got worse, it instantly went into limp mode every time I turned the engine on and this time spat out two fault codes:

I cleared the codes using the obd reader I have and it just instantly put them back up. Restarting the engine didnt clear it either. I drove it back home to my house around 2 miles away and the engine sounded extremely loud on tick over like it has no oil running through it at all and is very dry. Almost like a quieter tractor. So my suspicions are pointing towards the oil pump but I dont know if it's the pump or a clogged strainer or another fault because its just beyond my knowledge.

Has anyone else seen or had this fault and can you please help as Mazda are obviously as expected saying it could be upwards of 3k to get this fixed from what I've told them but i want to know if anyone knows exactly what the problem could be so I can just buy the exact bits and replace them instead of buying loads of parts it doesnt need.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Really dont want to lose this car as I love it and never had problems with Mazda until now (4th mazda car)

Thanks in advance
I had exactly same situation with my car. Only difference were that I took the car almost directly to the service.

The reason was partially clogged oil sump. At the service, they changed the oil sump and opened the engine enough to be sure that the engine hadn't face any damage. Luckily they didn't find anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance
I had exactly same situation with my car. Only difference were that I took the car almost directly to the service.

The reason was partially clogged oil sump. At the service, they changed the oil sump and opened the engine enough to be sure that the engine hadn't face any damage. Luckily they didn't find anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts