Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a Mazda 6 2.0 which runs fine in the evening but in day with with AC turned on in dessert heat the pickup off the stop line is pretty dead. So I was hoping to drop a V6 into it either sourced from USA/Germany or the one used in CX9. I heard its the same V6 engine used in Mazda 6i however I assume being a different class of vehicle (SUV) the engine might be tuned for different output characterstics. How difficult would be and what parts need to be swapped other than the main engine block?? The basic ones in can think are ECU, fuel pump, front shocks and springs?? Any adapter needed to mate with the 6speed transmission??

An important point to be considered that I live in Saudi Arabia and we only had the first gen M6 with 2.0 in standard and 2.3 in full option. Please dont recommened turbo or supercharging because that would run against the MOT inspection law and the car will fail. Only OEM installed turbo is allowed and the vehicle registraton papers specifically mentioned if the vehicle is using any form of forced induction. Also turbos are known to fail in dessert heat.

One option i could opt out is reboring the engine to 2.3 if possible and swap heads with 2.3. What updates to ECU could be required in such scenerio if possible at all??? I assume 2.0 and 2.3 are using the same block. Or even going for a block, piston and head swap from 2.3 if the remaining parts (cam, rods, crank etc etc) match???

·
Registered
157 Posts
sorry man you got me beat. i know nothing about the 2.0 or 2.3. hell i barely know enough about my own 3.0. so hopefully someone can give you some kind of help

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a Mazda 6 2.0 which runs fine in the evening but in day with with AC turned on in dessert heat the pickup off the stop line is pretty dead. So I was hoping to drop a V6 into it either sourced from USA/Germany or the one used in CX9. I heard its the same V6 engine used in Mazda 6i however I assume being a different class of vehicle (SUV) the engine might be tuned for different output characterstics. How difficult would be and what parts need to be swapped other than the main engine block?? The basic ones in can think are ECU, fuel pump, front shocks and springs?? Any adapter needed to mate with the 6speed transmission??

An important point to be considered that I live in Saudi Arabia and we only had the first gen M6 with 2.0 in standard and 2.3 in full option. Please dont recommened turbo or supercharging because that would run against the MOT inspection law and the car will fail. Only OEM installed turbo is allowed and the vehicle registraton papers specifically mentioned if the vehicle is using any form of forced induction. Also turbos are known to fail in dessert heat.

One option i could opt out is reboring the engine to 2.3 if possible and swap heads with 2.3. What updates to ECU could be required in such scenerio if possible at all??? I assume 2.0 and 2.3 are using the same block. Or even going for a block, piston and head swap from 2.3 if the remaining parts (cam, rods, crank etc etc) match???
Pick up off the line? I have a mazda6 V6, it is in NO WAY "fast, quick etc". Everyone can be all pissed off but i've driven sporty cars, and have owned sports cars. THe mazda6 is just a nice ride with a lot of ammenities for a very reasonable price. Doing an engine swap is expensive and can lead to a lot of headaches, plus there is no point in doing this to a car that will still be slow with a V6. i can imagine that the 2.0 is lacking in torque/HP but spending a ton of money to make a slow car, slightly faster is silly. Your best bet would be to sell it and buy a faster car. Hope you find this insightful.

·
Registered
222 Posts
+1 daveleo. The Mazda 6, 2.0, 2.3, or 3.0 is just not a fast car. If you are looking to drop that much money to swap engines, I would just sell your car and buy something different. People will strongly disagree but that's just my $0.02.

·
Registered
253 Posts
you will need so much more than just the engine for this swap that it will be very costly to import everything , might be cheaper to import a fully working mazda6 V6 and just drive that one.

And I doubt the V6 is gonna be any better than the 2.0L in the desert as just over here in cold weather canada the temp in the engine bay is crazy with that big V6 cramped in the small confinement of the engine bay.

remember that those japanese engines like to be in high rev zones...maybe lightening the car would be the solution for you. If you say it drives nice when you don't use the AC then I believe you don't need that much more power...just enough to compensate for what the Ac pulley is taking. I would suggest starting with lightweight pulleys and flywheel and then going with lightweight wheels. those items will be less expensive than overboring your engine and enable you to still easily maintain the oem engine.
I would also suggest some sort of reflash or fuel map optimization...I'm not too sure what's available for the 2 liter but you can surely get a few ponies with a leaner mixture, retard the timing a bit and use higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok guys i have a question and i know what many of you are going to answer already. I own an 08 6i ATX which i love but i just hate that it is so slow. I have thought of options to make it faster but in the end i know that you can only take our small stock 2.3 liters so far. With that said, my car is also ATX and, even if i go turbo, it wouldnt be an easy thing to pull off and might not even be worth it. I DO NOT want to buy a new car because would never let my baby go for anything. I have gotten it to the point where i love how it looks and just want some serious performance to match. So i have been doing my research on a possible engine and tranny swap. I know how skeptical everyone is about this subject, and i know that it could be a pricy procedure to do, but if it could turn my little 6i into a beast then i say its well worth it. There is always the option of buying a better performance car, but i rather stick to my baby and turn it into something that will blow away the competition.

With that said, i was looking at different engine and tranny options and have heard of people talking about swapping rotary engine into 6's. if that is possible, would an rx7 twin turbo rotary do the trick. I have been looking at a complete engine and manual tranny set that got my attention. Another thing i heard was people slamming in a speed3 engine on 6i's (video is on youtube) and getting it to work. The last option i considered is probably the craziest one but i have a friend that supposebly says that he has seen it work before. My last option is buying a JDM 97 twin turbo Supra engine and 6sp manual tranny and slamming it on my 6i. Its a crazy idea but i think that if it can be done it would be a dream come true.

After this point, i then consider doing further performance mods to my car, now that i would have an engine thats actually worth putting money into.

Anyways, i know many of you are laughing your @sses of as youre reading this post, and i know how crazy it sounds. But what do you grease monkeys out there think? Can it be done?

·
Registered
157 Posts
anything can be done with a lot of time and a lot of $$$ all about if you think its actually worth the money it would cost to do that kind of swap. might be a little over the top if you ask me...

·
Registered
253 Posts
ATX trannies where always praised in the past for turbo engines as it doesn't let the boost drop as much between chaging gears.
You have more than enough space to install a custom turbo and it will be cheaper than an engine swap with much less work. Most modern cars can take up to 6-7psi of boost without needing major upgrades on the engine...this should get you around 200hp wich is more than enough to enjoy daily commuting.

Doing an engine swap in a carburator car or those pre obd2 cars was easy enough but doing it with a 2008 is a pain IMO as you will soon realise all the electronics and controls inside will stop working as they need the ECU to run properly. This is way more painfull than whatever you have in your mind.

Remember anyway that going above 250hp on a FWD is beginning to be useless as the tires can't manage all that power while turning so unless you drag race you won't be able to use all that expensive power you added.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts