Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just bought a Mazda 6 2.3l and decided to throw an AEM intake on there. When we got the instructions it was pretty clear they were for the '03 .. even though it was being sold as compatible with the '06. The installation went fairly painlessly... except I had to adapt the vacuum thing that plugs into the aem intake... no biggie. But there is no where to hook the intake vacuum solenoid back up to? Are you really supposed to leave it just hanging there not connected to anything but the electrical? That's what we did. After about a week the CEL came on. We did cover the one nipple with the cap... and are going to check right now if it is still in place. What does that vacuum solenoid do? Should it be hooked up to SOMETHING at least???

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Well, I'm not so sure about the 2.3L because I have a 3.0.

Is it a green connector you are talking about? If so, thats the VAD solenoid. It shouldn't give you a CEL though, only a pending code. To get rid of the pending code, I just took the connector off the stock airbox and plugged it back onto the connector, then zip tied it up.

If this is something different, then I'm not so sure.

However, nearly 100% of intakes cause a lean condition CEL. It could take a week, could take a few months. There is nothing you can to fix this, short of getting the CP-E.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a green connector you are talking about? If so, thats the VAD solenoid. It shouldn't give you a CEL though, only a pending code. To get rid of the pending code, I just took the connector off the stock airbox and plugged it back onto the connector, then zip tied it up.

However, nearly 100% of intakes cause a lean condition CEL. It could take a week, could take a few months. There is nothing you can to fix this, short of getting the CP-E.
[/b]
It ended up being the vacuum nipple. Put the original hose back on it and plugged the hose with a very tight fitting bolt. No more CEL.

It is the green connector I was referring to. The instructions called it a vacuum solenoid. It is reconnected to the electrical... but there is no vacuum lines for it? This is correct?

We are also wondering if anyone could suggest what headers/exhaust would be a good compliment to the AEM CAI. And how much a good effective set-up would run. Any other "plug-n-play" tuning suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
It is the green connector I was referring to. The instructions called it a vacuum solenoid. It is reconnected to the electrical... but there is no vacuum lines for it? This is correct?
[/b]
Yes, as long as its hooked up to the electrical, you will not get any pending codes. It does have vacuum lines, but they are irrelevant to operation of the vehicle. (All it does is open an extra flap on the stock airbox letting more air in, but the metering is down farther down stream so the car doesn't car whether its actually working correctly, only that its hooked up.)

We are also wondering if anyone could suggest what headers/exhaust would be a good compliment to the AEM CAI. And how much a good effective set-up would run. Any other "plug-n-play" tuning suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
[/b]
You're only chocie for headers:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=40001

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
GreenNuggs
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing