Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Mazda 3 17" wheels will fit the speed. I am looking for a winter set of wheels/tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
yes, they will fit. A search would have answered this, as it has been covered before

·
Registered
127 Posts
Skinny tires are better in the snow. But dont forget about the weight difference between a 3 and a 6. I wouldnt reccommend running the 3 tires, for the load raiting that they have. There is a nice difference in weight between the 2 cars, and running the Mazda3 wheels and tires will Def affect safety. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What tire would i want to put on the mazda3s rim to be safe with the weight difference between the two? thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its not just the tire to worry about. its the whole setup. Putting the weight of our car, on a 6.5" rim is part of the problem. the other part is the tire. If you look at most cars, the heavier the car, the wider the rim. thats so the car has more surface area to disperse the weight. Putting all of the MS6's weight on a 6.5" rim is where the problem will lie of it not being safe. If you are a looking for a cheap set of winter rims, take a look at the Stock 17's off of the mazda6. There are quite a few guys running those on here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The thing is that i have a set of mazda3 rims with winter tires on them from my trade in. I was just going to use them on my speed6, unless its not a good idea.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The 17s from the 3 will be fine. The MAzda5 uses the same ones and weighs 100 lbs less than a MS6. You guys are worried about nothing. The maximum load on a Dunlop winter sport 3D is 1433 lbs per tire. That is 5732 lbs. Please do not worry.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The 17s from the 3 will be fine. The MAzda5 uses the same ones and weighs 100 lbs less than a MS6. You guys are worried about nothing. The maximum load on a Dunlop winter sport 3D is 1433 lbs per tire. That is 5732 lbs. Please do not worry.
[/b]
Ya we're talking the 3 's 17's here , not the base model 3 ..... the 17's also ride on 215 tires just as the 17's from the reg. 6 ... go for it the only way you'll know , but I'm confident you'll do just fine too !

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I think the tires on the 3s 17 are 205/50/17 not 215
[/b]
correct...definitely not 215

205-50-17

·
Registered
752 Posts
[/b]
isnt the mazda5 the one that looks like a half mini van half toyota matrix? if it is, im surprized the ms6 weighs more

·
Registered
129 Posts
Guys, this is super simple. Look at the sidewall of the tire. It will tell you the size, then it will say something like 93V or 89H. This is the load rating. Look at the number on the stock speed wheels, if it is higher than the number on the Mazda 3 tires, then don't use them. If it is less or the same, you will be fine.

Rim width has nothing at all to do with load rating. Load rating is all about the air volume. With a narrower rim you will get less air volume for the same size tire, but you can put a taller profile tire on and actually get more. Either way, the tire load rating is valid for all rim sizes that are within the acceptable range for that tire (as defined by the industry, lots of info on tirerack.com).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts