Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking other forums (forum cheating :D ) and saw a question I've seen many times before..."can I put Mazda 3 2.3 headers on my 6i?"...on the latest edition of this question, the response was "only if you get a custom mid pipe to connect them to the rest of your exhaust."...so this is my question...I'm planning to get a set of headers, and with them, a custom mid pipe (to get rid of "the bottle neck") with a high flow cat (to avoid the CEL blues)...If I get the 2.3-3 headers and mate it to a custom piping mid pipe, will those 2.3 headers work on my 6i, no problems, or do I need something else...and when I say "work", I mean "work with just those parts and having them put on, nothing else needed"...thanks.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just want to pop in and say that when your working with _______ to make your mid-pipe make sure they're going to use 14G Steel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to pop in and say that when your working with _______ to make your mid-pipe make sure they're going to use 14G Steel.
[/b]
Thankyou 6GunRocket for being the only person to reply to this.... :swearin: ....alright, I'll make sure to do that...what happens if I don't...and is that a standard type of steel that most muffler shops use, or am I going to have to search for one.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Should pretty common to find a shop using that metal.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
A few more things. You can save yourself money by skipping the cat altogether. When I made my second header template I didn't even use a cat. I welded in a couple O2 bungs(18mm) and plugged em in and didn't get a CEL. Having the shop also add a small flex pipe(3-4") for vibrations couldn't hurt either. Oh and whether you or the shop does it, have them spray high-temp bbq grill paint on the outside and inside of the pipe very liberally...you want that thing to last.
Before choosing a shop, ask to see some of their welds. Some shops have a mig welder and a hillbilly with his butt-crack hanging out doing their welds. After they have finished, ask them to put the car back on the lift so you can check it out(paint, welds, fitment, etc.)

Oh and yes its easy to find a shop that uses 14G steel. But don't let them lie to you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few more things. You can save yourself money by skipping the cat altogether. When I made my second header template I didn't even use a cat. I welded in a couple O2 bungs(18mm) and plugged em in and didn't get a CEL. Having the shop also add a small flex pipe(3-4") for vibrations couldn't hurt either. Oh and whether you or the shop does it, have them spray high-temp bbq grill paint on the outside and inside of the pipe very liberally...you want that thing to last.
Before choosing a shop, ask to see some of their welds. Some shops have a mig welder and a hillbilly with his butt-crack hanging out doing their welds. After they have finished, ask them to put the car back on the lift so you can check it out(paint, welds, fitment, etc.)

Oh and yes its easy to find a shop that uses 14G steel. But don't let them lie to you.
[/b]
by all intensive purposes, you should've gotten the CEL...even if I don't get the CEL, when I take my car back to the dealer...for oil changes and stuff like that...I'm sure they'ed appreciate seeing a cat on....dumping the cat wouldn't just save money, it would open up more horsepower too...(and noise...)....(I'm not ricey)...I'm not a metalergist (sp?) so I wouldn't know 14G steel from my own ass...and is the BBQ paint absolutely necessary?...I'm going to feel a bit out of place asking the muffler shop to liberally spray something usually meant for a product with the words "Choarcol King" plated on the side....where could I pick that up, Home Depot?...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Any hardware store will have it and any good muffler shop will have sprayed it on a few exhausts already. No you dont have to have it...just trying to help you get more life out of it bro.

Having no cat with the stock dual mufflers wont increase sound that much. You should expect louder sounds with your setup anyways.

As far as making sure its 14G steel I dont know what to tell you. You could go to an auto parts store and get a 2" tube piece cut and then compare. But anyways, if they're honest, you shouldnt have to worry about this measure.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
high flow cat vs. no cat is slim, if you got the $$ why not.

·
Registered
922 Posts
custom mid pipe with no cat with magnaflow = massive backfires when decelerating... :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I want backfire :)
Its almost only thing for showoff :)

2 HawaiianEagle
How loud it can be ?

·
Registered
922 Posts
decelerating down through 2nd especially... ive heard it from the car behind mine... (friend driving) it's not like SRT-4 backfire, but definitely pronounced...

loudest is when your coasting down a hill and the RPM's are hanging around 1500-2000 in second... it will rumble pretty good..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts