Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
My name is David. I drive a 2020 Mazda6 gtr metalic grey. Im looking at an intake for my first mod. Any recomendations for brand?
Corksport, AEM or K&N? Does anyone have 1st hand experience in multiple intakes for a real life comparison? Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
47 Posts
From what I know, which is very limited but there isn't much to know about them they all follow the same rules. The cold air intakes are generally the same when it comes to the company names another name you could check out is injen, they're pretty popular as well. I know There are two different styles of filter 'wet' and 'dry' wet being there is oil that helps filter particles and keep the actual filter lighter(as far as filter media) then dry which offer a little more airflow restriction but doesn't have the chance of oil being sucked in and on the MAF sensor. I opted for the K&N wet style only because I like the fact of having a wet filter in a more dusty location (Las Vegas). It requires a bit more labor and gets dirty quicker (only if you are in a dusty area like me).
Other than that they seem to be more less the same. Check the width of the CAI and compare them to the other brands. The one I went with has 2.75' diameter. I hope this helps bro good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently installed the Corksport SRI in my '18 Signature, overall happy with it after ~500 miles. Here's a few things I've noticed, just so you know what to expect:
  • Very noticeable increase in power at >3000 RPM. On the stock airbox this RPM range is where the power tapers dramatically so this is a great improvement.
  • Slight decrease in power at cruising RPMs (<1800). I find myself needing to just ever so slightly give it a touch more throttle when maintaining street speeds. This is a really subtle change, and honestly I second guess myself b/c sometimes I think I feel it and sometimes I don't. With the stock airbox, even 10% throttle feels really responsive with respect to acceleration. With the SRI, 10% throttle feels a little less so.
  • Transmission/auto-shifting acts a little differently. Let's say you're cruising @ 1800RPM, you give it 30% throttle, and it really should downshift but it seems like it takes more throttle input (40-50%) to get the car to kick down a gear compared to stock. If you've seen Corksport's dyno runs with the SRI, this is probably what they were experiencing with the low-end RPMs being lower than stock. Obviously when you're using paddle shifters/manual shifting, this won't be a problem.
I don't have experience with the other brands, but would agree that the differences are probably small in terms of performance, sound, etc. The AEM has a heat shield whereas the Corksport lacks one, but the effect is probably small and it's up to you whether that's worth the extra $150 for the AEM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts