Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

So I am financing my 05 6i. Ive been paying for three years, I have three more years to go. Yes my credit was that bad. Anyway the front bumper, hood, side sills, front doors and rear quarter panels all have taken road and element abuse and its hard if impossible to really bring out the showroom shine anymore Even when I wash and buff it all up. Im thinking of getting it a new paintjob. Now that since Im financing, and I would keep it stock Steel Grey color, would I be allowed to just go to a Maaco or paint shop and get a new paintjob? Or is it not allowed since I dont own the car officially yet? I rather ask here first before I call Maaco and they keep an eye out for me if its not allowed. Thanks to anyone who knows. I really miss the way my car use to shine. Im not even a big fan of taking pics anymore cuz of it.

B

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Ummmm, yeah....about that $399.00 Ambassador job. It virtually always looks like shit. You would probably do just as well painting it with a gallon of Rustoleum and a high density Foam brush.

I have seen good quality Maaco jobs. They came in over $1000.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't know what you clowns are talking about. The $399 is such a value...they'll even paint your mufflers and windows for free!

In all seriousness, a $400 paint job from Maaco is not something you should do. I've had a $400 paint job done before, but it was on an old car that isn't worth much and is nearing the end of it's life anyway. That paint job was a little bit more high quality than Maaco because it was done at an independent body shop through a guy I trust, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. I'd take my 6 there any time (and I have), but I'd NEVER take my 6 there for a $400 paint job.

Maaco can give you a good paint job, but it's going to be more expensive. Perhaps you did mean that you were going to have them do a quality paint job, but usually when people hear Maaco, they think of the shitty ones.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I always hear ppl shooting down Maaco for shitty paintjobs and yes if you only pay a couple hundred bucks for a paintjob, chances are going to be you arent going to get a good quality paint. Anyway I have had three cars painted in the past by Maaco (that I already owned) and I never paid below 500 and they all came out nice and smooth. With this car, I do plan on spending a higher amount so I know I get the good quality job with care and detail that they are capable of.

SO back to the original question, am I allowed to repaint it keeping the stock color while I am still currently financing the car?

B

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yeah, If you are financing the car, they don't care what you do to it.

You can paint it purple and Pepto Bismol pink as long as you make all the payments on time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Purple and Pepto Bismol pink. Thats funny. Those color patterns never came into thought and never will again,lol.

Ok well I will go with that, unless someone else has an argumented opinion. I always went back and forth with myself about the Steel Gray color. Somedays Id like it, somedays I wouldnt. Overall it needs a new coat so it looks like Im leaning towards getting it repainted. But if I were to change the color, itd be a pain in the ass updating everyone. So ill stick wit the gray. I know a certain someone here would love me to get a new paintjob just to get rid of all the decals....hehe although Im still keeping the grille and maybe painting that to match with the car.

B

QUOTE (yoichi @ Jan 30 2010, 09:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633464
Tell me you"re kiddin with taking your car to Maaco.[/b]

Ok well if I do decide to go ahead with this project, do you have any suggestions besides Maaco?

B

·
Registered
62 Posts
QUOTE (JerseyBoy357 @ Jan 31 2010, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633640
Ok well if I do decide to go ahead with this project, do you have any suggestions besides Maaco?

B[/b]
Go ahead...take it to Macco. Just forget about the cheap (Ambassador) paint special. As others have said, Macco does some good work. For a high quality paint job that you'll be satisfied with, you should consider all your options (including Macco)but you may get a better deal from a local independant shop.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (93greenstrat @ Feb 17 2010, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1637804
Go ahead...take it to Macco. Just forget about the cheap (Ambassador) paint special. As others have said, Macco does some good work. For a high quality paint job that you'll be satisfied with, you should consider all your options (including Macco)but you may get a better deal from a local independant shop.[/b]

i have been doing some researching in the past few weeks. I want to start brainstorming earlier than I did last year when it was the suspension project. I found a bunch in my area that I need to start checking into. Im still deciding on what to do honestly concerning the shop and the actual paintjob. I recently got the bug for giving it a complete color change after I heard I can do it via spazdog so not sure if independant or Maaco would be better for that yet.

B

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are only paying $399 for paint for the full car, then you may want to ask WHAT KIND OF PAINT will they be using. Not ALL paints are made the same. Paint quality is very important if you want it to last. Also what about gurantees on the job, or over spilled. These can drop the car value very fast.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (Cosworth @ Feb 23 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1639010
If you are only paying $399 for paint for the full car, then you may want to ask WHAT KIND OF PAINT will they be using. Not ALL paints are made the same. Paint quality is very important if you want it to last. Also what about gurantees on the job, or over spilled. These can drop the car value very fast.[/b]
I wont be paying that low of an amount. I plan on making this an expensive project for all the right reasons.

B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts