Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some problems of late with the brake master cylinder leaking fluid. The only symtom is the fluid gets low and the dash brake light comes on. It finally got so low this week that some air got sucked into the lines and now we have spongy brakes -- but the clutch has started slipping too. Since there is only one master cylinder on the firewall, is this running both the brake and clutch systems? I've heard that some cars use that. I can't find anything that looks like its coming off the clutch pedal.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
yup, it runs both.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have had some problems of late with the brake master cylinder leaking fluid. The only symtom is the fluid gets low and the dash brake light comes on.
Can you see a leak on the master?
It finally got so low this week that some air got sucked into the lines and now we have spongy brakes -- but the clutch has started slipping too.
Air in the lines / low fluid would not cause the clutch to slip (instead it would prevent disengagement).
Since there is only one master cylinder on the firewall, is this running both the brake and clutch systems?
There are two master cylinders; one for the brake and one for the clutch. However the reservoir on the brake master is also shared to the clutch master.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If a common resovior is used for clutch and brakes on your car as mine does, check the clutch slave unit for leaks, don't remember if you can see it from topside but know I can when I change oil. Check each brake caliper or wheel cylider if drum brakes for leaking. When you bleed, start at farthest brake from master and work toward it, keeping master full while working. In the back look for the crossover pipe which is farthest. If your cap is bad as someone suggested could be, replace it and clean up any fluid in the area because brake fluid will eat paint. You can buy a one man bleeder or get a friend to help out. Keep fluid in that bleeder catch jar with bleed hose in it to keep from sucking air back in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Speed135
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing