Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I ordered a remanufactured MAF sensor from an auto parts store online. I am going to put it in sometime this week.

I have had no luck finding a hydroshield, but I assume I can use the one from Injen since it will cover the CAI and hopefully keep water and mud out of it.

The only confusing part is the hydroshield lists small, medium, large, XL, and XXL sizes. Which size should I get if I have the MS intake?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
medium size fit the mscai filter perfectly

·
Registered
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mazda stands behind the mazdaspeed intake. They dont like it for the fact that it has a habit of killing the l3k9 maf sensor.
But its a part off the shelf from a "Dealer". So if the dealer sells you a part that make the engine light(emission failure) come on, that sounds like its a CAI problem not the sensor. The sensor dies from from moisture, cool air, etc. etc.

I would ring some bells at mazda customer service and get it covered.
But if your buying someone elses parts, you'd be on your own.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
QUOTE (ekanddsm @ May 3 2009, 04:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1556160
Mazda stands behind the mazdaspeed intake. They dont like it for the fact that it has a habit of killing the l3k9 maf sensor.
But its a part off the shelf from a "Dealer". So if the dealer sells you a part that make the engine light(emission failure) come on, that sounds like its a CAI problem not the sensor. The sensor dies from from moisture, cool air, etc. etc.[/b]

The sensor died from getting wet because the Mazdaspeed CAI allows the MAF sensor to be very low on the CAI itself. There was mud and water in the MAF, which is why Mazda wouldn't cover the MAF replacement.

I already got the new MAF and got it changed now, it cost me less than $100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if Mazda is having problems with their MAF sensors. At 45k, the one in my speed6 threw a CEL. The engine is completely stock, so the dealer replaced it for me under warranty no questions asked. I never experienced any power loss or issues with the CEL on. I had the car back in two days, as I had to wait for the part to come in.

I just pray nothing else comes up, I now have 51k on the car. Just out of the warranty period.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
QUOTE (bconverse @ May 26 2009, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1564894
How do you tell if your sensor is actually bad?[/b]
CEL and also when I would floor my car in the rain the TCS OFF, CEL, and skid light would flash but I have an auto

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, I have a spare maf if anyone gets in a bind pm me and I'll give you a killer deal.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The directions state to unplug the battery when replacing the MAF, I didn't do that. The car still acts funny (smells like it's running rich upon cold start-up, accelerator almost 'sticks' a little on the highway -- like a delayed release). No CELs though so far in about 1500 miles.

I guess I should take off the negative cable for a bit to have the system reset...

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (LapisLazuli6 @ Jun 12 2009, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1572200
The directions state to unplug the battery when replacing the MAF, I didn't do that. The car still acts funny (smells like it's running rich upon cold start-up, accelerator almost 'sticks' a little on the highway -- like a delayed release). No CELs though so far in about 1500 miles.

I guess I should take off the negative cable for a bit to have the system reset...[/b]
beware of the A1 Cardone remanufactured maf sensors. I bought one and it made my car act goofy as fuck

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
QUOTE (spdfreak @ Jun 17 2009, 01:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1574032
beware of the A1 Cardone remanufactured maf sensors. I bought one and it made my car act goofy as fuck[/b]
Were your symptoms similar to mine?

If Mazda wasn't a POS fuckball, they'd have replaced my sensor in house, especially when it was affected from the cold-air intake installed on the car which is a Mazdaspeed.

I even talked to the warranty dept., they said no. I should have my lawyer call them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (LapisLazuli6 @ Jun 17 2009, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1574136
Were your symptoms similar to mine?

If Mazda was a POS fuckball, they'd have replaced my sensor in house, especially when it was affected from the cold-air intake installed on the car which is a Mazdaspeed.

I even talked to the warranty dept., they said no. I should have my lawyer call them.[/b]
well i got a speed so idk if the symptoms will be similar

i was only boosting to 10 psi and it stuttered like mad.
the sound of the engine was different.

swapped it with an oem maf and it worked fine soooo idk

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I called Mazda, they told me it would be $135 for the sensor and $95 to install it.

I already paid $75 for the reman one and $70 to have it installed, but if it's going to continue to mess up my car then I have no choice.

I'm going to have my dealer scan the car first and go from there though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (LapisLazuli6 @ Jul 2 2009, 12:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1579208
I called Mazda, they told me it would be $135 for the sensor and $95 to install it.

I already paid $75 for the reman one and $70 to have it installed, but if it's going to continue to mess up my car then I have no choice.

I'm going to have my dealer scan the car first and go from there though.[/b]

you're paying to have the sensor installed??
isnt it just two little hex bolts?

i hope you're not getting suckered

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
QUOTE (spdfreak @ Jul 3 2009, 08:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1579672
you're paying to have the sensor installed??
isnt it just two little hex bolts?[/b]
The charges are what the dealer told me. The sensor is $135 installation $95. I could get in there and do it, but I have to go under the car, jack it up, take off the bottom or else take off the CAI I can't get my hand down in there do to it. I tried before.

As of now I am just having the car scanned to see what the computer says.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
They scanned my car, they said everything's the way it should be and nothing abnormal. Weird, because my car still feels like it's 'accelerating' on its own sometimes on the highway. Maybe the intake or exhaust is causing it....

As long as it runs, it's all good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a MAF sensor for sale if anyone still needs one. It's in perfect condition too!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts