Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would run me from one of our M6C dealers? My dealer quoted me $229 + tax. My Fujita CAI apparently lacks a good water shield so my sensor is wet. Likely going to put the stock air box when i'm done with the MAF. :(

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
344 Posts
i'm in the same boat as you right now...cold air intake screwed my maf sensor

so i looked online at like partstrain or autopartswarehouse and its 185 w/ free shipping

i'm probably going that route

·
Registered
43 Posts
I could make a call to our mazda parts dept for you. Of course I buy for oem cost as a dealer employee. I would charge a couple bucks for my time, but not much. I will try to get real cost for you and post it here.

QUOTE (spdfreak @ Dec 30 2008, 04:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496629
i'm in the same boat as you right now...cold air intake screwed my maf sensor

so i looked online at like partstrain or autopartswarehouse and its 185 w/ free shipping

i'm probably going that route[/b]

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
My MAF is bad as well and I have the Mazdaspeed CAI. Mazda still won't cover the replacement, which I think is bullshit. They wanted $398 for the replacement.

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (LapisLazuli6 @ Feb 12 2009, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1518881
My MAF is bad as well and I have the Mazdaspeed CAI. Mazda still won't cover the replacement, which I think is bullshit. They wanted $398 for the replacement.[/b]
ALRIGHT well... I just got pwned by a dealer.
I said I was getting a re manufactured sensor from partstrain or autopartswarehouse right? DON'T

After swapping my stock one with that one my car only boosted to 10 psi and I was getting fuel trims left and right.
I didn't put two and two together and my buddy convinced me that my fuel pump was shot and to take my car to a dealership he used to work for.

After poking around for 4 hours... they came back to me and said whatever maf sensor I put on there was screwed up.

Not only did I just pay 250 bucks for labor because the problem wasn't warranty-able...but I also get to pay for a 250 dollar OEM MAF sensor.

MY ADVICE:
If you still have a warranty... take whatever warranty voiding parts off of your car and let mazda deal with it.
Don't try any off brand.

No warranty?
Pop for the really freaking expensive OEM sensor.

I....am going to have my friends head.

btw... 400 bucks for a sensor is REALLY rape... don't know how they got that price when I just got a price for like 250.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
QUOTE (spdfreak @ Feb 12 2009, 11:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519151
ALRIGHT well... I just got pwned by a dealer.
I said I was getting a re manufactured sensor from partstrain or autopartswarehouse right? DON'T

After swapping my stock one with that one my car only boosted to 10 psi and I was getting fuel trims left and right.
I didn't put two and two together and my buddy convinced me that my fuel pump was shot and to take my car to a dealership he used to work for.

After poking around for 4 hours... they came back to me and said whatever maf sensor I put on there was screwed up.

Not only did I just pay 250 bucks for labor because the problem wasn't warranty-able...but I also get to pay for a 250 dollar OEM MAF sensor.

MY ADVICE:
If you still have a warranty... take whatever warranty voiding parts off of your car and let mazda deal with it.
Don't try any off brand.

No warranty?
Pop for the really freaking expensive OEM sensor.

I....am going to have my friends head.

btw... 400 bucks for a sensor is REALLY rape... don't know how they got that price when I just got a price for like 250.[/b]
Dude, you could have almost bought a GHL CBE for that. :nana:

Just kidding man (nah, not really lol), glad that your car is running properly now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (MicaBlackMS6 @ Feb 12 2009, 10:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519156
Dude, you could have almost bought a GHL CBE for that. :nana:

Just kidding man (nah, not really lol), glad that your car is running properly now.[/b]
haha seriously Its not a good feeling knowing you just pissed away at least 250 bucks

not...at...all

274 hp at the crank however...

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
QUOTE (spdfreak @ Feb 13 2009, 12:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519185
haha seriously Its not a good feeling knowing you just pissed away at least 250 bucks

not...at...all

274 hp at the crank however...[/b]
So can you return the partstrain/autopartswarehouse MAF? I would think that you could....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi i just installed a K&N Cold air Intake on my 2003 Mazda 6s..I was wondering what are the chances of hydrolock. Also does the K&N cold air intake really make that much of a difference than the original air filter did? Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (antonios @ Feb 13 2009, 01:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519234
Hi i just installed a K&N Cold air Intake on my 2003 Mazda 6s..I was wondering what are the chances of hydrolock. Also does the K&N cold air intake really make that much of a difference than the original air filter did? Thank you very much!!![/b]
Not sure how different the setup on a 6s is compared to a speed6...

but if its anything like my car you are going to want to make sure you have a hydroshield on that filter. If you know you live in a very wet climate I would DEFINITELY suggest a splash guard to cover those slits in your fender.

Even if you don't live in a wet climate and you want peace of mind that nothing will get at your intake... fab up a splash guard.

anyone with a 6s please correct me if I'm way off here ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (spdfreak @ Feb 13 2009, 01:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519475
Not sure how different the setup on a 6s is compared to a speed6...

but if its anything like my car you are going to want to make sure you have a hydroshield on that filter. If you know you live in a very wet climate I would DEFINITELY suggest a splash guard to cover those slits in your fender.

Even if you don't live in a wet climate and you want peace of mind that nothing will get at your intake... fab up a splash guard.

anyone with a 6s please correct me if I'm way off here ;)[/b]

Do you no of any good website or where I could get a hydroshield and a splash guard?..it is deffinetly worth it just to be safe than to blow your engine. Also is a COld air intake better than the origianl stock air filter?Thank you very much

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (antonios @ Feb 13 2009, 02:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519497
Do you no of any good website or where I could get a hydroshield and a splash guard?..it is deffinetly worth it just to be safe than to blow your engine. Also is a COld air intake better than the origianl stock air filter?Thank you very much[/b]
I know colder air is better as far as combustion is concerned. What I don't know is how much of an effect a CAI will give you when it comes to power. I have heard mpg's are improved but by how much may be negligible.
I know for the turbo 6's really the only time a CAI helps is after you start tuning. Not really sure about N/A 6's. You might just want to poke around a bit *here*

I believe Injen sells a form of a splash guard that attaches directly to your CAI. I know they sell hydroshields for sure.
Google search and see what you find.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The CAI on my car had nothing to do with why the denied my claim. Mazda denied my claim because an 'outside influence' affected the sensor. My thing is, if this influence got into the sensor, how is that my fault? I would think they'd blame the design of the car or something. The service advisor said she didn't tell Mazda the car had CAI, but I'm sure she did.

Either way, it made me mad. And my car only acts funny when I am driving in heavy rain where alot of water is splashing up, or in the car wash. So what I will do is just be careful of puddles. I don't plan on replacing the MAF sensor anytime soon.

Will this do anything besides give me shitty fuel economy?

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (LapisLazuli6 @ Feb 19 2009, 11:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1521989
The CAI on my car had nothing to do with why the denied my claim. Mazda denied my claim because an 'outside influence' affected the sensor. My thing is, if this influence got into the sensor, how is that my fault? I would think they'd blame the design of the car or something. The service advisor said she didn't tell Mazda the car had CAI, but I'm sure she did.

Either way, it made me mad. And my car only acts funny when I am driving in heavy rain where alot of water is splashing up, or in the car wash. So what I will do is just be careful of puddles. I don't plan on replacing the MAF sensor anytime soon.

Will this do anything besides give me shitty fuel economy?[/b]

mm... I know a dealer will give you crap about a CAI if you are bringing it in for something like a MAF sensor. The fact that you have a mazdaspeed CAI should change that however. I was under the impression that you should be covered if you bought that one. I have a CP-E intake so I know a dealer will give me crap.
If you got your sensor damaged by water... I would suggest you find a better price on a brand new sensor and pop for it. Even if your car seems to be functioning properly... you're ecu may still be creating fuel trims and other wacky sensor related problems. If you keep your intake on...be sure to fab up or buy a splash guard.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE (spdfreak @ Feb 19 2009, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1522055
mm... I know a dealer will give you crap about a CAI if you are bringing it in for something like a MAF sensor. The fact that you have a mazdaspeed CAI should change that however. I was under the impression that you should be covered if you bought that one.[/b]
The Mazdaspeed accessories with the "blue" warranty are covered under the new vehicle warranty.

The Mazdaspeed CAIs are under the "green" warranty. This means the intake itself carries a 12mo/12000mi warranty against defects. There is no vehicle warranty coverage for problems caused by the intake.

For this reason, I don't think you are any better off with the Mazdaspeed intake than any of the other intake options. The nice thing about an intake (compared to some other mods) is that it can be swapped back to the factory airbox for dealer visits in less than an hour.

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (jd42 @ Feb 19 2009, 01:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1522067
The Mazdaspeed accessories with the "blue" warranty are covered under the new vehicle warranty.

The Mazdaspeed CAIs are under the "green" warranty. This means the intake itself carries a 12mo/12000mi warranty against defects. There is no vehicle warranty coverage for problems caused by the intake.

For this reason, I don't think you are any better off with the Mazdaspeed intake than any of the other intake options. The nice thing about an intake (compared to some other mods) is that it can be swapped back to the factory airbox for dealer visits in less than an hour.[/b]

I see. That really sucks then.

Yeah, there are a couple mods that I don't mind swapping out for dealer visits.

CAI takes 20, maybe 30 minutes at most.
Forge BPV takes 5 minutes.
Test Pipe takes 10 minutes, or 20 if you don't have a lift.

Pretty much an hour process if you're efficient.

·
Registered
39 Posts
about like all 20 min and i gave up for installing my test pipe with spdfreak

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (highestrich4 @ Feb 22 2009, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1523456
about like all 20 min and i gave up for installing my test pipe with spdfreak[/b]
Yea i should have added a side note there...

If you manage to install the test pipe once on you're car... it becomes a hell of a lot easier to swap it back out once you gain access to a tap and some lubricant.

Those bolts can really get themselves rusted on.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Hey spd, how'd you know your MAF was failing? In what ways did the car operate abnormally?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts