Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where else to put this... but does anyone have a spare (or not using) map pocket/compartment? Looking to do a project and don't wanna rip mine apart without a backup in case the project fails :slap:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if all else fails the dealer sells them for $95.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have to look for it, but i have one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only problem i can see is if it doesn't stick far enough out of the map compartment then the gps won't recieve anything. But if you just leave it on your dash and not hidden it should be a great unit, but dangerous to expose.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The only problem i can see is if it doesn't stick far enough out of the map compartment then the gps won't recieve anything. But if you just leave it on your dash and not hidden it should be a great unit, but dangerous to expose. [/b]
You're telling me that if the antenna is covered by a little piece of plastic, it won't get a signal? I never knew that..... (Never worked w/ any sort of GPS before)

·
Registered
810 Posts
yeah that's technology for ya. i even had problems with gps when my receiver was covered by trees

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats a pretty sweet unit. not too many GPS have input for video. I'll have to look into that a little. ;)

mk 6- if you find it, shoot me a PM or something. I might be slow responding though cuz i won't have easy access to a computer. Im taking 2 weeks off work for the christmas/new year break. My work comp gets the majority of use when i need it for stuff like this. You know the important stuff =D hehehe...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
yeah not sure about how good it is, but it can't be all that bad for 500 bux!???

um..from the reviews on the site, a few people said its a pain in the A to load up the software. I was really thinking about buying this unit but this damn PS3 has been hurting my budget...

good luck with your project suarezrh

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
yeah not sure about how good it is, but it can't be all that bad for 500 bux!???

um..from the reviews on the site, a few people said its a pain in the A to load up the software. I was really thinking about buying this unit but this damn PS3 has been hurting my budget...

good luck with your project suarezrh [/b]
actually, if you google "Plenio VXA-3000 reviews," you'll find a 9-pg thread in a gps forum. Some people like it, some people don't, but that goes for everything. As for a GPS, they say it's really good; nice and quick. You can get it @ Costco (lol) for $400 til 12-29.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
We have the Garmin Nuvi 660 (looks just like that, but its Garmin (link) and it gets great signal, even without having a good view of the sky. I highly doubt that would mess it up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't used a gps before either but from what everyone says, the reciever needs to be able to see the sky or else you won't be able to recieve anything
[/b]
The quality of chipsets for GPS receivers varies quite a bit. I have an i-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS receiver based on the MTK chipset that I keep in the upper compartment of the center armrest. It works great from there. It gets a good lock on 9 to 11 satellites anytime I've bothered to check. My Speed6 has a sunroof, so that may help with satellites that happen to be along that line of sight. (Putting my cell phone next to it in the compartment confuses it a bit, though.)

I use that receiver with a Fujitsu P1510D notebook with the Bluetooth option and iGuidance V3 navigation software. I flip the notebook around to its tablet configuration and place it in the map compartment. (I had to modify the compartment so it could open a little higher than normal.) If you look around you can find P1510D refurb units and save a several hundred bucks, but most refurbs don't have the Bluetooth option built in. If you can afford it, the P1610 is a nicer unit with a brighter screen.

Now all I need is an Aux-Mod and a USB DVD player to keep in the glove compartment so passengers can watch movies on long trips.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The quality of chipsets for GPS receivers varies quite a bit. I have an i-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS receiver based on the MTK chipset that I keep in the upper compartment of the center armrest. It works great from there. It gets a good lock on 9 to 11 satellites anytime I've bothered to check. My Speed6 has a sunroof, so that may help with satellites that happen to be along that line of sight. (Putting my cell phone next to it in the compartment confuses it a bit, though.)

I use that receiver with a Fujitsu P1510D notebook with the Bluetooth option and iGuidance V3 navigation software. I flip the notebook around to its tablet configuration and place it in the map compartment. (I had to modify the compartment so it could open a little higher than normal.) If you look around you can find P1510D refurb units and save a several hundred bucks, but most refurbs don't have the Bluetooth option built in. If you can afford it, the P1610 is a nicer unit with a brighter screen.

Now all I need is an Aux-Mod and a USB DVD player to keep in the glove compartment so passengers can watch movies on long trips. [/b]
Do you have the lid of the center armrest closed when you're using the navi?
Also, would it be possible for you to try out placing the reciever in the map compartment?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you have the lid of the center armrest closed when you're using the navi?
Also, would it be possible for you to try out placing the reciever in the map compartment?
[/b]
Yes, the armrest is closed while the GPS receiver is in use. The sunroof shade is closed as well, typically. However, resting your arm on the armrest would result in signal loss. The water content of your arm would absorb the microwaves blocking them from reaching the receiver.

I knew the GPS would work even better in the map compartment (less metal in the way and farther away from me and any passengers), but I tried it out for you just to see how much better it performed. With the receiver running off its battery, it locked on 8 out of 12 satellites while in the armrest and 9 out of 12 while in the map compartment. When it's running off of external power, it is even more sensitive to the satellite signals pulling in 9 while in the armrest.

We're kind of getting away from the original purpose of this thread. Perhaps we could continue this discussion in the electronics section.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts