Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is what happened several times on a 3000-km trip across Saudi Arabia. As I was driving back from Dammam on Monday, the tranny started acting weird. All was fine in D, but in M, it would behave as if it was still in D, and the 'gear number' would disappear from the dash, and it wouldn't shift. I'd have to switch off the engine and restart to get it back to normal, only for it to happen again several times on the way back. Towards the end of the trip, the problem seemed to have disappeared. Now what was that all about? Have you had that happen to you?

TIA,
Shady

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not to me, but I've read of something similar happening to another member. It's not common and you should take it into the dealer. It's most likely a problem with the transmission computer.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think there was a thread about it a while ago, I'd try searching a bit. I might be wrong, but I kinda remember it being something about the tranny getting too hot perhaps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
How fast were you going? Were you in M most of the time? One of the best features on the 6 is the tranny. Unfortunately, it can also be a weak link when it runs hot. When the tranny fluid exceeds a preset temp, M mode is canceled until temps return to normal. Invest in a tranny cooler and some heavy duty synthetic tranny fluid>>search tranny coolers<< there is a ton of info available.

Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i can't remember the exact temp range, but once the tranny fluid reaches it, it goes into "i'm in control now" mode. you could always check with the dealer, couldn't hurt if a flash will fix it. otherwise, throw on a good tranny cooler and that should help quite a bit.

...i'm assuming it's relatively hot there?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok, this is what happened several times on a 3000-km trip across Saudi Arabia. As I was driving back from Dammam on Monday, the tranny started acting weird. All was fine in D, but in M, it would behave as if it was still in D, and the 'gear number' would disappear from the dash, and it wouldn't shift. I'd have to switch off the engine and restart to get it back to normal, only for it to happen again several times on the way back. Towards the end of the trip, the problem seemed to have disappeared. Now what was that all about? Have you had that happen to you?

TIA,
Shady
[/b]
this has happened to me too, it maybe an electrical problem with the shifter itself.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=55596

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I notice similar things in everyday driving in fact I'm taking her into the dealer, I got warranty so not too worried....I think the ATX tranny runs at about 190deg Fahrenheit<<(don know if its correct spelling) and the MTX runs at about 80deg Fahrenheit....correct me if I'm wrong though please!!! I

nvesting on a tranny cooler on the ATX is a VERY BIG UPGRADE and will most likely give more life to your ATX tranny itself....but yea the whole heating up thing on the ATX tranny SUX!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yeah, I was driving fast that day (cruising around 180km/h) and the ambient temp was between 47 C in the afternoon and 42 C in the evening. And I think you guys are right: it was the ATX overheating, because when I stopped at a gas station for several minutes and let it idle for a few minutes, it went back to normal. Thanks for all the info. I think I'll look into the cooler mod later on, but now I gotta focus on fixing the Typhoon and saving up for the Legacy 3.0R :)

Shady

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 03. I'd move the stick to Manumatic, but it wouldn't detect the change. Then once in manumatic it wouldn't detect shifts (not the two shift limit either), The problem turned out to be the stick position sensor.

Sounds like yours may be the "overheating" that others have mentioned though. I just wanted to post my issue so that people searching for this problem will know that others have had it.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
This is a clear sign of tranny temps getting too hot. This is how I lost my first tranny. I experienced that on the track at my first event. Ran with no tranny cooler. I fried one of the 3 solnoids inside. Take everyone elses advice and go get a tranny cooler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts