Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for those of you who have the automatic tranny. When you use the "manumatic" mode do you take your foot off the gas pedal when you shift or not? I have noticed when I take my foot off, the tranny "slams" into gear and not in a good way. When I leave a little pressure on the gas there is a substantial delay in shift time. There is always a delay with the junk transmissions they put in the 6, even if full auto, but it is worse in the manumatic mode.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This question is for those of you who have the automatic tranny. When you use the "manumatic" mode do you take your foot off the gas pedal when you shift or not? I have noticed when I take my foot off, the tranny "slams" into gear and not in a good way. When I leave a little pressure on the gas there is a substantial delay in shift time. There is always a delay with the junk transmissions they put in the 6, even if full auto, but it is worse in the manumatic mode.
[/b]

Mechanically, the transmissions in the 6 are not junk, rather, they suffer from poor factory calibration. And most manumatics (at least those in the more affordable cars) do have a delay between shifts. To answer your question, no, you should apply some throttle when shifting to get a quicker, smoother gear change. You can lift your foot if you want, however, do it at the appropriate rpm/speed so it's smoother.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Foot most definately down when upshifting. Delay is not bad. I've experienced far worse in other new cars I've driven. I'm having second thoughts though about not getting the manual 5 speed. It's not that the AT is bad but it's really just a half measure. In spirited driving I find myself grabbing the shifter to stir it up, wanting to get more involved with the experience. It catches me by surprise too when I forget it's in manual mode and I go to take off from a stop light. Instant redline! I hear the Audi DSG is a hoot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Foot most definately down when upshifting. Delay is not bad. I've experienced far worse in other new cars I've driven. I'm having second thoughts though about not getting the manual 5 speed. It's not that the AT is
[/b]
Dealer I test drove at only had automatics - in both the 6i and the rx8, I'd have to describe the shifting in both auto and manumatic modes as 'crap'. But that's just the opinion of a die-hard manual fan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the manumatic is still an automatic trans, meaning: it has a torque converter instead of a clutch. The only difference is that normally the computer decides when to shift (which is often when you don't want it to), but with the manumatic, you have the option of choosing the shift points ... no need to ease up on the gas.

On downshifting, however I've found it can smooth out a shift if you are shifting from a relatively high RPM.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Agree with the above. I use Manumatic/Tiptronic mode 90% of the time, and I do NOT lift up on the gas when I shift up.

The delay in this Manumatic is not bad at all. Much better than some, a little worse than others.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use the manumatic mode for short driving around town, but not on the highway or long drives.

I've noticed if i shift up with my foot off the gas it kicks from on gear to the next, sometimes pretty hard, but with my foot on the gas its very smooth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Using the manumatic.. Is it bad for the car though? And does it save any gas? That would be nice.... Lol

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
wow - just over 1.5 year thread resurrection :laugh: way to :search: :spin:

If anything, you will use more gas rather than letting the ecu shift for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is it bad for your car? and what do you mean? Does it waste gas driving on the manumatic? Sorry I'm car retarded.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The ECU knows when to shift better than you do there-by gaining you that extra MPG.

·
Registered
62 Posts
But if you use the manumatic, you shift yourself. I drove today and I forgot that I was on it and it stayed in first gear. It didn't shift up for me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
QUOTE (o7Crasian @ Jun 18 2008, 10:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1372326
But if you use the manumatic, you shift yourself. I drove today and I forgot that I was on it and it stayed in first gear. It didn't shift up for me.[/b]
Correct. If you're in M mode it won't shift for you. If you want it to shift for you, use D. D will shift at the computer-determined optimimum points.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I find that if I use the "M" tiptronic mode. I can save abit of gas..very little..Controlling my shifts just around 2000RPM + avoiding that dam 3rd gear..so it doesn't lag. Also engine brake before the red light.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What do you mean engine brake? So I'm assuming driving on M mode isn't bad for the car?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I heard not haha..by means. Slowing down in tiptronic mode by down shifting with less braking

1 - 20 of 29 Posts