Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the 6 speed manual transmission of the car.

I just bought the car brand new last month (the car was manufactured Nov. 2009). The car has been doing well, except this one issue. It has been a few weeks that sometimes when I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, I can feel this click/push on the stick and hear a click sound, as if the clutch was not pushed all the way down. The rest of the gears are all very smooth, except this 2nd to 3rd gear switch. From 4th back to 3rd, however, is fine. After the "click", if I don't release the clutch, and shift back to the 2nd and then again to 3rd, normally that "click" does not happen again. Most of the times, when I am accelerating from 1st gear, that happens. I usually shift around 2k rpm.

I have been to a service department and they said there is a TSB might be related with my issue.

Have you guys heard anything about the weird transmission issue?

It is just unfortunate and sad the problem comes up right after I bought the car, and obviously I can't just go back and say I want another one... Somehow I wish cars also have 30 day money back guarantee...

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having the same problem. I just bought mine about a month ago in august 2010. Same thing happens when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. This is also my first manual car so I do not really know if this is normal.

My 1st to 2nd also seems a little rigid when the engine is not warmed up. Every other gears are find. Hope someone else here knows more about this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a known issue with them, there is a tsb bulletin out. bring them to ur local dealer and they can diagnoses it.
Hi Asher,

Can you please provide more information about the TSB? Is this just released?

I did bring the car to my dealer, and I was presented a TSB related to transmission. However, the problem described in the TSB was that if the car was coasting in neutral too long, some gears might wear off very quickly, and it really does not apply to my car, because it is brand new.

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am having the same problem. I just bought mine about a month ago in august 2010. Same thing happens when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. This is also my first manual car so I do not really know if this is normal.

My 1st to 2nd also seems a little rigid when the engine is not warmed up. Every other gears are find. Hope someone else here knows more about this.
My previous car was a 2003 Toyota Echo, also has manual transmission. The transmission has always been very smooth, and didn't have any rigid/grinding/kicking feeling.

Have you been talking to your dealer at all?

Regards,

Jason

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's hard to say whether a mtx feels right or wrong without actually sitting in the seat for the smaller symptoms.

Whether there is a TSB or not... you've got a warranty. See if you can get the dealership to confirm that it feels abnormal if you fairly sure it is. If they cant/wont confirm, take it to the next dealer.. keep pestering them. Once they confirm it they have to fix it... Also many states have lemon laws so you might want to check yours.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is normal.. try it at below zero and it becomes more than a 'little rigid' lol

You can reduce the effect by switching to one of the better mtx fluids if it bothers you; see the forums

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can confirm that in cold winter Canada the stick is pretty rigid the first times u shift.. a trick is to put the car in 1st gear,then in neutral, 1st again,....(and keep the foot on the clutch) then it's much easier to shift (like in reverse) . I do this when it's very cold and that my eyes are freezing inside the car lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My previous car was a 2003 Toyota Echo, also has manual transmission. The transmission has always been very smooth, and didn't have any rigid/grinding/kicking feeling.

Have you been talking to your dealer at all?

Regards,

Jason
I haven't talked to them yet. Currently have about 3k miles on the car and planning on talking to them during my first oil change around 5k. Right now, I'm just doing some research on the issue so I can come prepared when I need to confront them.

I want to correct something. I thought that it was only during cold condition that my 1st to 2nd was rough but I notice that it happens during acceleration and quick shifting. I checked around and saw a discussion about shift shock. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for all the replies by the way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had my 2010 in today for them to look at it again (reported it originally after first oil change). This time they noticed it too betweem 1-2 and 2-3. Just over 18,00km on it. Feedback from Mazda was for them to go and pull the trans :eek: and inspect the synchros and hub. Scheduled to go back in next week - will update when we get it back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Update on the status of my tranny problems.

When they got it out today and started to tear it apart, they found lots of metal shavings in the oil and on the drain plug. :eek: Further dis-assembly showed 3 of the 4 taper roller bearings used on the 2 shafts we spalding really bad and self destructing. They showed me the parts - the scoring/pits were very obvious. The synchro's and gears looked perfect. Service tech said trans was in great shape, no signs of wear at all, just a bunch of "those gold filings" in the bottom.

When my dealer contacted Mazda as how to proceed, Mazda came back and told them to replace the entire transmission with a new unit (now I wait for one to get here from California). My service rep said there was no questions asked from Mazda - simply order a new one and replace it.

I asked the service rep if Mazda's been having a problem with these tranmissions or is mine an isolated case, he replied that there not much on their systems about them - only the TSB mentioned above. But it really makes you wonder why Mazda would be so quick to do a complete replacement.

They're hoping to have it back to me by the end of the week, so I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on the status of my tranny problems.

When they got it out today and started to tear it apart, they found lots of metal shavings in the oil and on the drain plug. :eek: Further dis-assembly showed 3 of the 4 taper roller bearings used on the 2 shafts we spalding really bad and self destructing. They showed me the parts - the scoring/pits were very obvious. The synchro's and gears looked perfect. Service tech said trans was in great shape, no signs of wear at all, just a bunch of "those gold filings" in the bottom.

When my dealer contacted Mazda as how to proceed, Mazda came back and told them to replace the entire transmission with a new unit (now I wait for one to get here from California). My service rep said there was no questions asked from Mazda - simply order a new one and replace it.

I asked the service rep if Mazda's been having a problem with these tranmissions or is mine an isolated case, he replied that there not much on their systems about them - only the TSB mentioned above. But it really makes you wonder why Mazda would be so quick to do a complete replacement.

They're hoping to have it back to me by the end of the week, so I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks for the update!

Do you have more information on the TSB, so I can show it to my service department?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not really any more info than already posted - it deals with pulling the trans into nuetral and coasting for a while, then trying to put it back in gear - service advisor didn't give any further details or TSB number.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Okay, I've looked into this and there *IS* no TSB on gen2 M/Ts . . . It's S.O.S. of the gen 1 in reality though . . . but it has NOT been acknowledged by corporate or the dealers.

What I'm seeing:
It was hard moving gears when REALLY cold, so I upgraded to the appropriate weight of the Redline brand fluid. Shifting was SLICK for 500 miles, then the same-old-same-old feeling. Now, I've got the 1st to 2nd problem, but it has nothing to do with being cold; It grinds into second gear once in a great while, and I've paid special attention to how I left 1st, the throttle, the clutch position, and there's been a couple of perfect shifts that farked up.

I have little to no confidence in dealerships; it seems as if the issue is that 'if there's no TSB, you're imagining it' . . . which is total BS. I'm considering "smurf's blood" as a next step when it gets cold, but it's total nonsense that redline is doing what I'm seeing.

BTW, the wife said no to swapping for a 2007 Quattroporte . . . WTF?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got my baby back yesterday with an all new tranny in her. Service tech assured me its got "the good" bearings in it this time. Wow - what a difference in shifting. Obviously its a little tight but there is no clicking between gears, goes in to reverse and first gear with no issues - completely different from what originally came in it. Invoice shows $2974 CDN - OUCH !!!!!

Funny thing, the tech told me they got another new 6 in with a manual so he took it out to compare - he said it has the click in it already.

We'll see how it stands up over time.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
Got my baby back yesterday with an all new tranny in her. Service tech assured me its got "the good" bearings in it this time. Wow - what a difference in shifting. Obviously its a little tight but there is no clicking between gears, goes in to reverse and first gear with no issues - completely different from what originally came in it. Invoice shows $2974 CDN - OUCH !!!!!
Congrats! It was covered by warranty, wasn't it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yah no problems there - the dealership was great - small town friendliness I guess. That why I purchased it there originally.

They even gave me a CX-7 to drive while my 6 was in the shop - now my Chrylser minivan might be needing to be replaced (probably go to the 9 though).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Funny thing, the tech told me they got another new 6 in with a manual so he took it out to compare - he said it has the click in it already.

We'll see how it stands up over time.
Congrats!

Mine is not as lucky as yours. I brought it in 3 times, two different technicians and even a service department manager took it for a spin with me. None of them, none, said they felt anything different while they are test driving. When I drove with them, I can totally feel the click, and even hear the clicking sound. The strange thing is first technician even said he didn't hear anything, the second technician and the manager all said they heard something, but "it seems normal". The manager seems like a very nice guy though.

The manager told me a few days after the test drove, said he emailed the manufacture and asked about the trans problem, the feedback he got was to recommend I shift at a higher rpm to achieve better millage and fuel efficiency. I usually shift around 2500rpm, and was told to shift around 3-4k rpm. The answer almost sounds like "you were driving it wrong". Disappointed. :mad:

I don't know what I am going to do with it, maybe bring it to another service department in adjacent city.

Jason

1 - 20 of 31 Posts