Mazda 6 Forums banner

Manual shifting mode

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Warmacblu 
#1 ·
Back in the first week of March I purchased an '08 Mazda6 I Sport Value Ed. and so far have mostly driven it in the Automatic mode.

The last few days I have decided to experiment around doing manual shifting for city driving, changing gears as it gets close to 2000 RPMs and am managing to keep it under 2000 RPMs at most times. I have been finding myself keeping it in 5 for coasting (down to 30 MPH or so) as from my understanding that helps fuel efficency as well (as the wheels don't need as much power to keep spinning.) Not sure how much it will increase gas mileage but so far it appears to be making a substantial difference after 3 days of this style of driving.

I was just wanting to make sure that doing this will not damage the transmission in any way. I listen to the engine, when it demands more power shift it appropriately, and for freeway driving keep it in automatic since it does better judging at those speeds than I do at this time.

#2 ·
The tiptronic shifting is great. I use it mostly on open roads because there isn't much stop and go traffic where I live. There are certain limitations like the system will shift up before it reaches the red-line and will shift down to prevent the engine from stalling. You can definitely get more power from your engine, especially in the higher RPM's but I am not sure on the gas mileage. I am sure you could save a little bit more if you keep the RPM's lower but in the end it won't make too much of a difference; might as well pay the extra dollar and have some fun.

That is one of the reasons why I opted for a non Speed version of the 6 because of the auto / manual transmission. I know it is not the same and some will swear by manual transmissions but I don't really drag or look to get the fastest 0-60 times. I just wish they made the Speed6 with an auto / manual tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.