Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. So, this may have been discussed before. I just bought a 2008 Mazda 6i, 5 speed manual as a project to fix with my son this summer and hopefully he will take it to college in the fall.
106k miles. Main problem is the shifter is not smooth. Sometimes it is hard to engage first or fifth gear. It doesn't grind when shifting and once engaged the gear will not pop out. It is more like I have to "giggle" the shift lever a bit before it finds the gear. I began reading the forum and already checked the cable bushings in the engine bay. Those look fine I removed the center console to lube the shifter and found a white plug that was disconnected. A picture is attached. Anyone can tell me what this plug is for? Should I plug it back? Right now the battery is disconnected. Can anyone help me figure out if the shifter issue may be related to the cable, the shifter,
20210527_190354.jpg
20210527_190354.jpg

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,591 Posts
I believe that plug is for the accessory power plug in the center armrest and the heated seat switches (if equipped). It may also connect to the drivers side seat belt buckle switch. There is no plug there that will influence the mechanical operation of the transmission.
When you say "engage" are you speaking about moving the gear selector through the shift gate or it this something to do with the clutch actuation?

Can you select those gears with the engine off? Can you select them with the engine running but not moving? Any variations?
When you speak of bushing did you "look" at them or did you check for free play tolerances?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that plug is for the accessory power plug in the center armrest and the heated seat switches (if equipped). It may also connect to the drivers side seat belt buckle switch. There is no plug there that will influence the mechanical operation of the transmission.
When you say "engage" are you speaking about moving the gear selector through the shift gate or it this something to do with the clutch actuation?

Can you select those gears with the engine off? Can you select them with the engine running but not moving? Any variations?
When you speak of bushing did you "look" at them or did you check for free play tolerances?

Thanks for your feedback. I removed the cable ends from the transmission and it looks like the bushings are in good shape. Not broken, the bushings "give" is what I would expect of a bushing in good condition. The feeling of the shifter is the same with the engine on or off, clutch in or out. I can select gears, but it doesn't feel crisp, it feels sluggish. Sometimes I need to move the gear shifter back and forth a few times for the gear to engage. No grinding feeling. (Hope you understand my description).
Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure if the 08 is the same shifter setup as the 3rd gen, but I did a shifter alignment on mine and it helped a bunch (I also installed a short shift kit with hard bushings, so that may have helped too :)).
Something you might want to look into especially if you still have the trim removed and can access the guts of the shifter mechanism. I don't have a "how-to" for that gen, but I'm sure you can search and find something on the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if the 08 is the same shifter setup as the 3rd gen, but I did a shifter alignment on mine and it helped a bunch (I also installed a short shift kit with hard bushings, so that may have helped too :)).
Something you might want to look into especially if you still have the trim removed and can access the guts of the shifter mechanism. I don't have a "how-to" for that gen, but I'm sure you can search and find something on the forum.
Thank you. A mechanic checked the car. Sadly the gearbox is broken. Will need to replace.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts