Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since i live in the city my dad told me i was better off getting an automatic because im never on the freeway or anything and i will be making frequent stops over and over again

but my m6 v6 is automatic and has a section for manual too, a + and - sign to shift up and down but its auto clutch in my opinion it looks crappy i havent tried it though, what do u guys think about it? manual better?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Its pretty fun once you get used to it, can set yourself in a lower gear for more power when needed, and like your dad said, no need to worry about a clutch for all that stop and go traffic. I personally never take it out of there, i HATE using D :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its a nice compromise if you have people (that cant drive manual) and use your car.
I mostly use it when going up/down hills or if i want to get an acceleration rush.
Its very intuitive IMO; up to downshift, down to upshift.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Once you start using it frequently, you'll stop putting it into D at all. Manual mode allows you to pick what gear your in at any given speed...which allows for optimal power in any given situation without having to wait for the automatic to kick down. Putting the car in D just tells the transmission to try and shift to 5th gear as soon as possible, and to stay there as long as possible, for optimal mileage. This of course results in the car being rather sluggish, with poor pickup, since its always trying to go as slow as possible...staying in M mode fixes this :).

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I almost never drive in Auto mode now. Even in bumper-to-bumper, stop and go traffic, I still find myself upshifting and downshifting, knowing that I can just slap it back to "D" and not have to mess with it. Manual mode will become a habit in no time.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by Bhatch6@Mar 6 2005, 10:20 PM
Its a nice compromise if you have people (that cant drive manual) and use your car.
I mostly use it when going up/down hills or if i want to get an acceleration rush.
Its very intuitive IMO; up to downshift, down to upshift.
[snapback]373651[/snapback]​

well i had a 6i At and finally said screw it. and i learned how to drive an MTX on my new 04 6s. I will never go back. their is no replacment. the AT manual mode is decent but can't replace the power loss of an AT.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The automatic transmission is a ~$1000 mod to make your car slower, use more gas, weigh more, and less fun to drive.

The 'manual' mode isn't all that different from a traditional auto. If you didn't want the car to upshift you could just put it in D2 or D3. Want to stay out of the overdrive gear, you hit that button. People have been driving autos like that for decades. The 'manual' mode just made that a bit more user-friendly and added some idiot proofing to keep you from going into 2nd gear at 80mph for instance.

It's not an automatic clutch. It's just a stick letting you override the computer's ideal shift points.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I've got a Manual in my Mazda6s and the Sport-Shift in my Mazda3s.

Totally. Different. Worlds.

There's no fun in changing gears if you get zero feedback from the car. The sport-shift is just like driving a car in a computer game. There's no feedback and there's no way to just disengage the drivetrain or slip it in/out, so you're always in one gear or the other. It's particularly annoying when downshifting on a hard turn. Frankly, I'm more content with just leaving it in Drive and using the throttle to modulate when the ATX changes gears.

No matter how many times I drive the Mazda3 I just can't get into the habit of shifting the gears, nor do I get any satisfaction whatsoever from just tapping that little stick backwards. It just doesn't do it for me.

After buying the manual in my 6s as my first manual I will never ever go back to an automatic again. And on the plus side it keeps the wife from being able to drive my car ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Originally posted by Sigma@Mar 7 2005, 10:39 AM
After buying the manual in my 6s as my first manual I will never ever go back to an automatic again.  And on the plus side it keeps the wife from being able to drive my car ;)
[snapback]374043[/snapback]​

I first learned how to drive a car on a manual Potiac Firebird( RWD V8 =dropping 2nd gear and going flat out sideways around a corner and up the street :love: ). I was actually going to use it for my license test, but didnt think the State trooper that rides with you would want to pass a kid taking the road test with a firebird. :yesnod: Ive driven many manuals and the M6s is a very easy one to drive. If you can play video games and or can make your body do more than one thing at a time you can learn to drive manual. If this MTX was anything like the old Mustang (85-93) clutches (holy stiffness batman) , Ide say pass on it, but its a very user friendly clutch. I say if you feel confident in learning how to drive one, you will do fine, if not get the ATX. Either way its one nice car.

I also second the comment about the wife not being able to drive my car! ;)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by Ryobob@Mar 8 2005, 03:26 AM
more torque down-low would help in the 6 though..
[snapback]374375[/snapback]​

only in 1st gear. everything else is shifting high rpm.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i bought the automatic myself mainly because i sit in a ton of stop and go traffic. and i go 80 miles to work and home each day. otherwise, lemme tell you, i woulda had a stick in this biatch like nobodys business. because even after putting the cpe setup, a tranny cooler, magnaflows, and a few other odds and ends, i am just now as fast as a stock manual car....the shitty part is, the manual car can do all the same things, and be even more faster...lol....

the auto stick thing is nice, but like it was posted, it does not give shit for feedback, and downshifting with it sucks a big ol fatty. it is however nice to be able to tell the tranny when to shift, but that the only advantage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts