Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean who wants to drive a bubble car like an accord.
who cares how many horses a car has
if u people are comparing to cars with 240 horses + cars you will be looking for some other cars probably with ugly exterior

the 6 is different because it handles, looks, and performs more like a sports car than a camry, accord or altima in the same class

one other thing i heard was that the engines, either the 4 banger or v6 produces more torque at higher speed with less power assisted steering along wit that. (u dont get this with the altimas with 240 horses, u go every where because there are too much power assistance on the steering wheel at high speeds.

Another problem some people are concerned with is the engine noise... this is because that's probably the only sound u could hear from the inside; like u usually hear a lot of road noise. < Mazda actually stressed a lot about this. They tend to make the interior so quiet so that u could only hear the engine roaring like a sports car. It would even be better wit the turbo kit already availible in euro! lucky bastards!

thats all i had to say... hope people understand how great this car is (stock)
;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Man its all about how good the car looks'

Well i totally disagree. Looks are totally subjective. Yea the 6 is great looking and handles well for the segment, but you woul buy it if it only had 100hp? I dont think so. The grips you have been hearing, mainly from myself is that the 6 just has a weak engine. Even the camry with less power and a 4 speed auto is able to out accelerate the 6. some of us just want an all around great performer

·
Registered
167 Posts

Originally posted by Me

Well i totally disagree. Looks are totally subjective. Yea the 6 is great looking and handles well for the segment, but you woul buy it if it only had 100hp? I dont think so. The grips you have been hearing, mainly from myself is that the 6 just has a weak engine. Even the camry with less power and a 4 speed auto is able to out accelerate the 6. some of us just want an all around great performer[/b]
My '6 will have 136hp. I will be quite happy with that. :D

But I understand your point. I would probably buy a car with more power if I could afford it (I drive 40.000 km per year and petrol is quite expensive here, so it had to be a Diesel for me).

·
Registered
837 Posts

Ok, I agree with you Me. Just explain to me what you mean by all around PERFORMANCE, do you mean:

a) straight line speed i.e. drag strip
B) semi decent cornering with straight line speed i.e NASCAR series
c) great cornering ability with slight straight line speed i.e. AUTOCROSS, Touring series

Ask yourself that and let me know what you like.

Let me take a crack at the possible answer. Remember not to consider any other factors like reliabilty or value and such. Price has to be relatively the same. If you selected:

a) then get yoursef a Mustang, Camaro or just about any large block engine American car. These engine variant will rip your neck apart with gobs of torque for straight line performance. Who cares what it can do around corners or how sloppy the body rolls when it makes any sort of transition.

B) choice that I can think of is Accord, Altima some of the smaller block American car like GrandAM, GrandPrix, Lumina and such. These have relatively powerful straight line performance and can take some corner relatively well. However, you will get more body roll and sloppy transition when you do take those corners. I can take a couple of constant left hand turns but when thrown into Esses follow by a hairpin then it will beg for mercy.

c) Mazda 6 or perhaps an Altima, handling now is a bit better with some lost in power. Altima may be best in this category. Since I am not counting other factors, Altima is a better choice than a Honda Accord if you want overall performance.

So it all depends on where you throw your car on. The outcome will vary based on the situation.

For me I rather have an agile car since I am more likely to take corner at a bit higher speed than drag down a street to 100km/h with a speed limit of 60km/h and throw in there other traffic. Or I rather be carving the Esses on a divided highway at 120km/h on a 100km/h (reasonable speed eventhough over the limit :) ) than to see how fast my powerful engine can do on a 100km/h speed limit.

Either way, there are more sane people on this board than insane people. Most of us are logical thinker (engineer and computer oriented work) than craze speed fan.

That is what I see anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

yeah thats right!
u cant drag with a honda accord or camry... they just too high and it doesnt come with standard sports stabilizer etc
haha it would be funny if people do try drifting with the new camry or accord
even the altima has problem doing that cuz it has too much torque
u cant go 60 mph + on tight turns with any but the 6 thats my opinion... ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts

You all make great points. Just imagine though is the 6 has the accord engine. WOuld be an all around perfect car. I for one think the 6 is over rated in the power department. A 220hp car with a 5 speed auto should run mid to upper 15's, which would have been fine with me, but edmunds tested it at a 16.2, which is really bad all things considering. a camry with 195hp runs the same times. the 6 just seems to be bloated, needs to shed about 200lb and gain 15hp and 15 tq atleast

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I don't think edmunds holds on the brake, revving the engine and then slaming the gas for its acceleration tests like C&D and M&T. There tests tend to be more real world, which means there times are higher. not to mention the fact that the stock tires suck and the engine isn't broken in. But I'm getting the 5 speed manual V6, which should take care of that. I was impressed though by the 5 speed I-4, I'm glad you guys in Europe and Japan have a good engine to work with. People seem to make a big deal about the V6 weight, its not really that heavy, its right on par with a BMW 325i's weight, and the 6 has great weight distribution. with a good set of tires, the car should be able to handle very well, right up there with BMW and Audi(speaking of really heavy cars)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Me

You all make great points. Just imagine though is the 6 has the accord engine. WOuld be an all around perfect car. I for one think the 6 is over rated in the power department. A 220hp car with a 5 speed auto should run mid to upper 15's, which would have been fine with me, but edmunds tested it at a 16.2, which is really bad all things considering. a camry with 195hp runs the same times. the 6 just seems to be bloated, needs to shed about 200lb and gain 15hp and 15 tq atleast[/b]
You should wait for the MPS-version!

·
Registered
63 Posts

how many of us drive like driving a racing car, slam on the throttle and rev to the limit?
I dont see the extra power will be useful in our everyday drive around town, even in some remote conutry area since many roads have speed limit. safety and good handling is more of a concern.

will you be driving a powerful Hyundai if you can afford a underpower 3 series or a Merc.
It's all about the style!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

yea the mazda dealer said the test drive out there tend to make their test on this car's 0-60 slower. dunno why... but yea u have to try it by ur self... u need to test drive it to know it

·
Registered
70 Posts

well edmunds also got the 195hp accord at 8.2 and 16.1, and the accord at 7 flat 15.4. the 6 was 8.1 16.2. all same tester, not the same day, but that dosent make that big a diffrence

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

yea the time are all messed up
so you might mindaswell drive which ever u feel confortable with
dang the seats in the 6 is just awesome
actually u guys... we might be getting the turbo kit for the 2.3 pretty soon since euro has it
then 280 with the same mileage per gallon hahahahah that'd be awesome
no car like it in its class ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts

and no warenty, not to mention the 5000 cost to upgrade your internals and put on a turbo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

THen dont think bout getting it *** **** you (me)
u r ******* stupid
go get ur accord or wutever

·
Registered
70 Posts

/
||
||
||
I think someone needs a valum or to get laid one of the two

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

My comment goes for you aswell...;)

It's not required that you love Mazda6 to be here, but it's highly recommended!:D

·
Registered
70 Posts

sorry steve, he resorted to profanity, shich i will never do. just stating the obvious

·
Registered
70 Posts

Just want to throw this out there and see what yall thought. Edmunds tested the 6 at an 8.18 0-60 and a 16.2 in the 1/4. Now weight is 3300lb. Edmunds also tested the hyundai xg350, which has a 3.5l v6 rated at 192hp and 216 tq. the XG350 weighs a huge 3650lb. It also has a 5 speed auto.

Now compare these 2 cars, onw would bet a large amount of money that the 6 would win in the straight line. but that person would be very wrong. the XG was tested at 7.7 and a 15.8.

Does anyone but me find this strange?

Also the 175hp 9-3 saab is just as fast a a 6. both autos. 6 is a bit heavier but has 45 more hp. i think mazda will a class action on them for engine power for the v6

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

It's called gear ratios bud. There is also significant variation from individual car to car, and day to day, and track to track, and driver to driver, thus proving once again how useless magazine racing is.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts