Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when i get on it i see smoke in my rear view. not from the tires. i give it some juice and i watch the rear view and i see a plume of white smoke. i have 6000 miles on my car and it should be broken in by now. is this a bad thing? i don't mean driving real hard, but i am pushing it. let me know crossbow. you sexy thing you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably just running rich, and some condensation. Its dark, oily smoke you need to worry about. I'd say you're OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sometimes when i get on it i see smoke in my rear view. not from the tires. i give it some juice and i watch the rear view and i see a plume of white smoke. i have 6000 miles on my car and it should be broken in by now. is this a bad thing? i don't mean driving real hard, but i am pushing it. let me know crossbow. you sexy thing you.
[/b]

Probably condensation in the exhaust. Nothing unusual. :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i get a lot of soot as well, but haven't noticed smoke. i wouldn't be overly concerned.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
is it when u first start your car? it takes a while for both cats to warm up. the one closer to the turbo lights up pretty fast, thats why u see the temp needle get to the middle quickly. the second one is a lot slower. a good indication of when the car is warmed up is when the idle rpm drops to 750.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was after i turned the car on, but it hadn't been sitting for too long since i drove it last. i only noticed it because i just randomly looked in my rear view and i saw the smoke. it was white, but also dark outside. everyone seems to be ok about it so that makes me feel better. thanks guys.

edit:
first post i made when i was drunk that wasn't absolutely retarded. rest assured this occured before i was drunk and not during.

·
Registered
595 Posts
is it when u first start your car? it takes a while for both cats to warm up. the one closer to the turbo lights up pretty fast, thats why u see the temp needle get to the middle quickly. the second one is a lot slower. a good indication of when the car is warmed up is when the idle rpm drops to 750.
[/b]

the temp gauge has nothing to do with the catalytic convertor. It is the temperature of the coolant, which takes awhile to warm up - more or less depending on the temperature outside. Obviously, it will take longer to warm up if it is 0 degrees out than when it is 90 degrees out.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm wondering if this car will pass emisisons inspection. I think people should get their cars inspected ASAP while the car is still under the 1 year / 12,000 mile period. Mazda will cover a failed emmissions until then I think. Or am I wrong and it would be covered under the entire bumber-to-bumper?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm not too worried about emissions, unless i move to california. my title was market "not california emissions compliant". thankfully for me i have no plans on moving back to cali.

·
Registered
114 Posts
think emissions warrnty is 8yr/80k what ever it is it is beyond the factory warrnty

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/b]
I get it too...usually after flooring it.

Usually only happens first couple of times. When I am backing up in a dark area (sticking my head out the window) I can smell the fuel. So most likely a "rich" condition. 3422 miles and counting. I expect it to subside a bit after I get some more miles on it.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm not too worried about emissions, unless i move to california. my title was market "not california emissions compliant". thankfully for me i have no plans on moving back to cali.
[/b]

I got my Speed6 down in Georgia, but plan to move back to NY in August. Since my car did not have the "NY/Cal, etc... emissions" option on the list, am I going to have trouble passing my NY emissions when I move back? I wasn't sure if that option was an actual piece of hardware that was on the car to reduce the emissions, or if it was more like a tax if you live in one of those states.

Anyone got any ideas?

-Jesse

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
JesseTheK
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing