Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so basically I like trying new things, and I came across "ajgonzales" post saying he changed his signals into parking lights!!! So I checked it out, he had a brief general picture of what to do and a brief step by step... but that was good enough!!! I just took it a step further because im so proud of myself that I actually did it!!! WOOO!!! Anyways here are 8 simple steps on how to change your turn signals into parking lights... always ON!!!! woooo hooo

Why do this? Its fun and cool and if you have leds or any different colored bulb, it makes your car stand out without losing light output (you dont have to change your hi or low beams to get new colors, just change your signals, :D)

CHECK OUT MY CARDOMAIN SITE...ITS GOT PICS OF MY SIGNALS ON... THE SITE HASNT BEEN UPDATED SINCE LIKE LAST YEAR.. BUT I FIGURED TO JUST PUT MY PHOTOS THERE SO U CAN SEE THEM EASIER... BOTTOM OF THE FIRST PAGE ARE THE PICS OF THE SIGNALS AT NIGHT...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/706956

Anyways here it is..

THINGS THAT YOU NEED!!!!!!

10 feet of 22 gage wire... u only need 2 feet (one foot each light) but just incase u screw up.. 10 feet is cool... doesnt cost much

Electrical Tape

Wire stripper

Wire connector caps... make sure they fit 22 gage wires...

Thats about it... oh and ... um PATIENCE!!! especially with the passenger side light... oh god that one really got to me, I became short with my family... a couple weeks ago I stubbed my toe against a door... and took it out on the dog... then I get home and find that my vanilla ice cream is all gone, so I struck my wife... then I find out my wifes been dead for 6 years..... WHO THE HELL DID I HIT???!!!!! STUPID PASSENGER SIDE... DAMN MAZDA WITH THE small engine bay made for pokemon character and sailor moon.... heheh.. By the way that was from family guy movie... Good old diabetic Wilfred Brimley.

DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL!!!

Step 1: Take out the 194 bulb (parking light) on the drivers side first... because its the easiest side to work with... get the feel of it here first then if successful do the passenger side..

Look at the 3 wires connected to the 194 bulb holder... 2 black 1 grey... We are going to steal power from the grey wire.. leave the black ones alone... if you want, cut the twist tie thats holding the 3 wires together to give you more play...

[attachmentid=16147]

Step 2: Cut the grey wire
[attachmentid=16148]

Step 3: Use the wire stripper and strip about 1 centimeter of each end to reveal the copper wires...
[attachmentid=16149]

Step 4: Grab your new 22 gauge wire about a foot of it... and strip both ends about a centimeter each.. to reveal the copper wire
[attachmentid=16150]

Step 5: Connect the grey wire that u cut... connect them with one end of the new wire you bought... use a wire connecter and twist them together... or use electrical tape... we are basically stealing power from the grey wire... now your new wire is ACTIVE!!! but good thing u disconnected ur battery, woohooo hehe
[attachmentid=16151]

Step 6: Now look at your turn signal bulb holder and light bulb... you have a grey metal running along the holder... and it ends up coming into contact with one of your bulbs filaments... thats right... filaments... 2 filaments you have!!!... but only one is being used??? omg!!! GIVE SOME POWER TO THE UNUSED ONE!! WOOOOOO
[attachmentid=16153]

Step 7: Grab the other end of your new wire and make it touch the unused filament nipple... Make sure it doesnt touch the other nipple or the grey metal.. How to do this??? check out next step...
[attachmentid=16154]

Step 7.5!!!: Get some electrical tape and put it under the unused filament nipple... so ur new wire doesnt touch it... yet touching your unused nipple. Also use electrical tape to keep your new wire in place tightly so that it doesnt twist a bit as u put the signal holder back in place... it might move the wire and touch the other filament... so make sure the wire is secure..
[attachmentid=16155]

Step 8: Plug in the battery,... turn on ur parking lights... omg!!! your signals are on too!!! Try putting on ur hazard lights... if it starts to flash... wooo hooo everythings good!! now do the passenger side... very hard due to lack of space...
[attachmentid=16156]

If your signals turn on with ur parking lights... yet when u put hazards on... the signal light just stays on and doesnt flash.. its cuz ur wire is touching both filament nipples... fix it...

If your signals dont turn on, but flash when u put hazards on... that means ur unused filament isnt gettin the power... check ur wires..

If your signals dont turn on, and they dont flash either... .... um... start using arm signals... gunna suck in winter though... hehe... naw just check your wires again... keep at it, ur gunna do it... trust me, took me awhile too...

Hope that helps!!! Props to "ajgonzales"

IF YOU LIVE IN TORONTO AREA... PM ME!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
If you put red bulbs in the tail lamps, it would be legal. Having amber rear-facing bulbs that are always on would not be. Amber is fine for the front.

I suppose this could vary by state as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't just post the how to without posting some after photo's as well.
[/b]
Fine, heres some after photos of how the lights look, this was taken during the day in my garage so not a full night time effect, ill take sum at night, i did the install yesterday... My Led 1157 turn signals are UV (Ultraviolet) basically a black light but produces a purple color, its cool, me likey. Not too good during the day though... u need to use TOWER style Led bulbs, ones that have leds running down the sides of the bulb as well as the fronts,,,, so that it acts as a true halogen bulb.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...956_32_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...956_33_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...956_34_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...956_35_full.jpg

Remember, these are ultraviolet lights... so when I took the pics.. they look blue through my cameras eyes... but to human eyes its extremely purple.. Also these lights detect blood stains and other stains.. hehehehe good ol black light (ultraviolet... purple)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
This mod is legal in all states (assuming you use the factory ambers). If it wasn't legal, Chevys, Cadillacs, Saturns, Pontiacs, etc. would be illegal. This mod essentially uses the unused 2nd filament of the turn signal bulb as a parking light/running light.

In fact, when I have more spare time, I intend to go one step further and make them running lights (always on when the car's on). Of course, I'm using the factory amber bulbs, not a UV bulb. I think it looks pretty cool when they're on by themselves, without the headlights or fog lights.

edit: for a not so great picture of the ambers from back when I first did this, check my Garage. I'll try to take a better one this evening.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The UV light was a dumb idea for the front of the car!
[/b]
Why is it a dumb idea? It looks so cool and I have ppl staring at them, lots of compliments already... Im replacing them with the Tower LED UV bulbs, they will be easily seen during the day too, they fully use the reflector on the signal housing... making them just as good as halogen bulbs.. but look more crisp... heres a link to where I got them from.. The prices are for each

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bul...156_pt_p_wm.jpg

YES ITS MOST LIKELY ILLEGAL TO HAVE ANY OTHER COLOR OTHER THAN AMBER!!!... But so far no cops have given me trouble... plus Ive had these on before as just signals and cops have never said anything... I live in Toronto... and cops here tolerate nothing... so I guess they arent that much of a problem having these lights..

Infact, since people now pay more attention to my car cuz of the cool lights.. they can see me signal better, and therefore safer... during the day for now they cant really see the lights... but thats cuz im using the regular led ones, not the tower ones... getting those prolly by wednesday...

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Good job! I like the forward lights on all the time almost did mine that way but held off. I wonder what the side marker lights on all the time would look like??? Any testers out there?

***edit*** dump ass, I meant have them both saty on all the time and both blink. Dah

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good job! I like the forward lights on all the time almost did mine that way but held off. I wonder what the side marker lights on all the time would look like??? Any testers out there?
[/b]
Why not just skip that, and go straight to making the side markers into turn signals... just steal the power from the turn signals.... and splice it just like i stole the power from the parking lights and gave it to the turn signal.. that should work.. keeping the side markers on all the time wouldnt really do much for visual... not much to look at really. But if u want them on all the time... just hook them up to your low beam wire... those are on all the time as long as ur car is on that is..

·
Registered
142 Posts
2nd^

I think it will look kick ass. This and the brake light mod will be a good project for next weekend.

·
Registered
867 Posts
also just a quick note. put the required tools in the beginning of the article like after the
DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL!!![/b]
would look like a good spot

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just thought i'd help jungle out with some pics, i haventh attempted the mod yet, but went to the car to check out how im going to do it, as i always do while im @ work... yes i know work ...today

Here are the pics use them how you please..

[attachmentid=16166]
[attachmentid=16167]
[attachmentid=16168]
[attachmentid=16169]
[attachmentid=16173]
[attachmentid=16174]

Reading both jungle and ajgonzales, i started to wonder which way was better, with a piece of wire or a piece of metal with a wire connected to it..

I found this old ruler and pull out the metal piece for it, for those that didnt know where to get it.
Ill figure out which way ill be using later..

[attachmentid=16170]

[attachmentid=16171]

[attachmentid=16172]

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Tried the mod, but I have a question, without my headlights on and sitting in the car with the key turned to accessory power, and I try to turn on my hazards and it causes all of my radio button lights and ac controls to blink, did anyone else notice this ?

Did I do something wrong, the mod works great when the parking lights and / or headlights are on. But when they're off whether the car is started or not it causes the stereo and a/c controls lights, that lights up the buttons to blink as the signals would.

Can someone direct me..

·
Registered
956 Posts
tell us what exactly you did.
[/b]
Well..

I unscrew the lights, and i placed electrical tape between the contact for the used filament, i then took a wire ran it thru the headlight assembly and placed it so that it'll contact the unused filament.
I spliced that wire to the grey wire of the 194 bulb..\

I tested everything and they worked great.. (not noticing inside as i was working on the outside)

Taped everything up, place everything away neatly zip tied..

And return everything to normal working position..

Initial test show perfect modification, took it around for a road test and parked for the night took some pics..

after parking i was just sitting in the car, on a phone call, and was put on hold, so me being restless started to press button turning on the parking lights and looking @ my beautiful mod in the reflection.. So finnally since the car wasnt started i couldnt indicate so i push the hazard button, to my suprise, the hud started blinking the ac controls and those little lights that illuminate at night so you can know what your pressing are blinkin with the hazards, i started the car, thinking that the battery was being drained.. car started the light got brighter but they still blink..(Gave me a cool mod idea for the hazard switch) but none the less annoying as hell, i turned on the parking lights and then stopped blinking and everything was normal, but once its off.. they blink.. What can possibly be occuring, i thought of everything, including that fact that i also have the sidemarkers as signals mod

what is going on?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts