Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been covered that there is not a real HP gain (maybe 9hp on a good day) with the MF exhaust for the MS6. But it got me thinking, could there be a weight advantage? A buddy mentioned that the main reason he went with the MF exhaust on his car was not for HP, but that it saved him about 55lbs in weight over the stock exhaust. Has anyone weighed the stock exhaust vs. the MF?

If there is a decent weght savings (40-50lbs), I might pull the trigger on that, and then just get the CPe catted down pipe for Xmas :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It's been covered that there is not a real HP gain (maybe 9hp on a good day) with the MF exhaust for the MS6. But it got me thinking, could there be a weight advantage? A buddy mentioned that the main reason he went with the MF exhaust on his car was not for HP, but that it saved him about 55lbs in weight over the stock exhaust. Has anyone weighed the stock exhaust vs. the MF?

If there is a decent weght savings (40-50lbs), I might pull the trigger on that, and then just get the CPe catted down pipe for Xmas :)
[/b]
hahahaha. sorry, but the exhaust does not weigh +55 lbs. from the magnaflow, or even 55lbs. by itself for that matter. if the magnaflow catback saves any weight at all, its probably 5 lbs. or less. the cp-e catback doesnt even have those oval mufflers and it probably saves only about 15 lbs. at most. either way, its negligible to the performance and will hurt the f/r weight distribution if anything.

·
Registered
244 Posts

[/b]
You probably will save even more weight by doing a custom 3inch setup with only 1 muffler instead of 2 that megaflow has. There is really no reason for 2 mufflers other than for the looks.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahahaha. sorry, but the exhaust does not weigh +55 lbs. from the magnaflow, or even 55lbs. by itself for that matter. if the magnaflow catback saves any weight at all, its probably 5 lbs. or less. the cp-e catback doesnt even have those oval mufflers and it probably saves only about 15 lbs. at most. either way, its negligible to the performance and will hurt the f/r weight distribution if anything.
[/b]
Yeah, the thing is my buddy has an M3, not an MS6. That's why I wanted to ask before I pulled the trigger :)

Sounds like it would be negligible, thanks

You probably will save even more weight by doing a custom 3inch setup with only 1 muffler instead of 2 that megaflow has. There is really no reason for 2 mufflers other than for the looks.
[/b]
Yeah, I always wondered why they did the two exhaust tips. They did it right on the MS3, one tip. I may have to look into one of those custom jobs.

But was wondering what it would be like driving around with a spare exhaust tip that does nothing - heh :) Seems like the empty chrome tip would be *much* more visible if there was NO exhaust running into one side....

·
Registered
867 Posts
I know this is in the mazdaspeed6 section but how bout the 3.0 V6? Any weight loss from that?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I know this is in the mazdaspeed6 section but how bout the 3.0 V6? Any weight loss from that?
[/b]
nothing significant. it would be similar to the difference of filling the tank up with 15 gallons instead of 16.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
[/b]
Or sound (which comes down to the person) as the Cpe can be fairly loud.

Yeah, the thing is my buddy has an M3, not an MS6. That's why I wanted to ask before I pulled the trigger :)

Sounds like it would be negligible, thanks
Yeah, I always wondered why they did the two exhaust tips. They did it right on the MS3, one tip. I may have to look into one of those custom jobs.

But was wondering what it would be like driving around with a spare exhaust tip that does nothing - heh :) Seems like the empty chrome tip would be *much* more visible if there was NO exhaust running into one side....
[/b]
If it's got two holes... fill 'em.

You don't see newer Legacy GT's with single side exhaust. Subaru went with dual exit on the newer Legacy GT and the aftermarket followed form with duals too. No one there is whining about a single side being superior or whatever... at least not now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts