Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Magnaflow catback exhaust and want to try to make it a little louder. Do you think a muffler shop could make a pipe identical to the resonator portion of the magnaflow exhaust, only without the resonator? How much do you think it would cost?

·
Registered
45 Posts
well all the resinator does is keep the exhaust from having a raspy sound to it. if you want to take it out just have them weld in a straight pipe or you can buy a new one. it doesnt make it that much louder if you take it out but like i said it gives it that raspy sound to the exhaust

·
Registered
45 Posts
well it depends on your own opinion of how you want the sound of the car to be. me personally i would keep the resinator. but i like a clean sounding exhaust with no rasp to it. the headers should make a big difference as far as the loudness of the exhaust is concerned.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anybody has removed the resonator from their magnaflow system and has a sound clip, I'd appreciate hearing it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
well it depends on your own opinion of how you want the sound of the car to be. me personally i would keep the resinator. but i like a clean sounding exhaust with no rasp to it. the headers should make a big difference as far as the loudness of the exhaust is concerned.
If you plan on getting headers down the road, just leave the resonator on. It will get 100% louder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am thinking about MSDS + magnaflow but don't really care for raspy, loud exhaust. Don't care for looks or sound. Performance and engine preservation is my only concern so......I know there are some noise dumpening materials like second skin. I would probably use it for the floor, wheel wells etc. just to bring out the low tones and kill the ricy, raspy annoyance.
Is there anything that can be done to the exhaust itself and maybe mounting points to minimize any sort of vibrations ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts