Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried 14 mm (too small), 15 mm(too big), 7/16" (too small), and 5/8" (too big) for my muffler bolts. I got one off with a 14mm, but it's wrenched in the socket between points. I have tried spraying with liquid wrench and nothing seems to be freeing them enough for me to put any torque on it with a 14 mm wrench (which is what we are told is supposed to fit). It fits only slightly over the end, not far enough to torque it.

The fronts are 17mm, but I can't get those to bust free no matter what. I can't get close enough to them to really torque them well, as the car is way too close to the ground that far up.

I'm ready to give up and pay someone at this point! I thought this was supposed to be an easy 1-2 hour job! 5 hours later and I have the car on stands and one bolt free.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Did you try an air rachet or an impact driver? I've used both and they worked like a charm. Though I don't remember what size the bolts were :(.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try an air rachet or an impact driver? I've used both and they worked like a charm. Though I don't remember what size the bolts were :(.
[/b]
No access to either :(

I'm in a typical suburban garage with rudimentary tools. I'm tempted to think if I could get the front two loose, the rear 4 really dont matter too much, and just jack the front of the car, but I could be totally wrong.

I have decided not to touch the car until tomorrow. Too frustrated right now to do any good, and I brought the RX-7 up and running if I need to go somewhere.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
grab a torch from lowes or home depot and heat those babies up...

·
Registered
153 Posts
pb blaster or wd-40 might help especially if your going to leave it overnight!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
When I did the install on Mr. Stephens ride, the fronts are indeed 17mm. I found it best to use a deep-well 6-point socket with a 24" breaker bar (I bought the socket and breaker bar at AutoZone for $12 total). Both nuts came off with no problem.

The ones in the rear were all 14mm and again I made a point to use a 6-point socket and breaker bar. If you can't seem to get the socket onto the nut, perhaps it is due to rust (?!?!?). Use a steel tooth brush or equivalent to knock off the rust.

Soaking the nuts with some rust-busting product, for a longer period of time, will aid in the removal effort.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PROGRESS!

It might be redneck as hell, but I CAN get a box end wrench (I believe that's what they call the circle side) at 14mm around it nicely. Sockets still don't like the nuts, even after overnight with Liquid wrench and a grill brush scraping to remove rust. (I'm using what I have available).

So, I've broken two more loose by smacking the other end of the wrench with a hammer. One still won't budge, but I think I can work around that if I have to. I'm going to try cleaning it up more and going from there.

I have a breaker bar, but it's a 1/2" drive. I'm going to avoid using it if I can.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I had to cut one off with a hacksaw to install my RB's awhile back. Those bolts get rusted as shit man, and nothing I tried would get them to move. Very, very frustrating. No air tools here either, but the hacksaw worked great :D The RB's came with new bolts and gaskets.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I don't remember the size of the bolts, but to get the damn things loose (I was in the same position, after 4 hours we had only gotten 1 off) I took a metal chair I had, cut one of the legs off (it was a hollow leg), beat the end of it with a hammer to spread it out, then slid that over the ratchet. That gave me the leverage I needed to make quick work of the others.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to cut one off with a hacksaw to install my RB's awhile back. Those bolts get rusted as shit man, and nothing I tried would get them to move. Very, very frustrating. No air tools here either, but the hacksaw worked great :D The RB's came with new bolts and gaskets.
[/b]
What is the proper way to hacksaw the thing off? From between the flanges or at the head of the bolt?

That whole assembly is unnecessary for the Magnaflows.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One muffler off, and this is just not worth the effort. I'm paying someone to do the whole ball of wax (sway bar and coilovers too... I still think I can manage the fogs and the CP-E).

Hopefully Courtney Truck can get me in this week. Can't get it back on... so oh well.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
What is the proper way to hacksaw the thing off? From between the flanges or at the head of the bolt?

That whole assembly is unnecessary for the Magnaflows.
[/b]

I cut the nut off of one of the bolts, and them pulled down on the muffler and it snapped off. Cutting between the flanges would have been risky. I also used the Dremel a bit to cut through it but the hacksaw was much more effective. Don't give up yet man!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah... I'm just not this mechanical, plain and simple. I ruined an entire weekend trying what was supposed to be a simple 2 hour project, and it's just not worth the time, effort, pain and frustration to me.

I just hope it's safe (only loud) to the car to drive it to the shop with only one muffler.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
WD-40 is your best bet. Spray that shit on and leave for 30minutes to an hour. IT will still require a good bit of muscle to break them loose. I put my mf's on around 8000miles and it was a PITA.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I started the car, and it's not really all that loud, so if it is safe to the engine, the car is driveable. However, as I pretty much am going to pay someone for the sway bar and the coilovers anyway... it's not that much more to just have them do the exhaust as well.

I really appreciate you all with the advice and support. However, you have no idea what kind of inner peace I found when I just let go of trying to do this myself.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Diva, I thought when we did it on my car they were around a 15mm...not sure why yours is different. Also, I believe we hit it with Pene-Lube (an idustrial strength lubricant). Here's a link to select your state and find a distributor, the stuff is worth it! Get Pene-Lub! The stuff is fucking AMAZING, like nothing I've ever used before....we had no issues whatsoever with the bolts.

·
Registered
922 Posts
did mine in about 30 minutes while the car was hot (came home and the box was there) calm down... getting mad won't magically loosen the bolts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It shouldnt be THAT rusted on an 04... I have an 04 and live in NJ rains a fair ammount not 1 bolt had a spec of rust on it.. came right off with air tools. I dont remember the size though.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It shouldnt be THAT rusted on an 04... I have an 04 and live in NJ rains a fair ammount not 1 bolt had a spec of rust on it.. came right off with air tools. I dont remember the size though.
[/b]
Minnesota is land of 10,000 salt trucks, where it is frequently too cold for even automated washes to operate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
sry110
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing