Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Magnaflow system installed last week and I must say that I'm quite pleased with it. It looks like a real quality piece. The fit was right on the money, they didn't have to monkey around with it at all to get the tips to line up. The only complaint that I have is that they neglected to bother with the damper weight on the exhaust pipe. It's there for a reason as you can feel it set up a resonance at a particular rpm. But the sound is just right for me, not too loud but a nice tone.

Too early to say what impact it will have on the gas mileage but I'll get an answer on that this weekend as I'm doing a 600 mile trip with it. I can't say that I've noticed a big jump in power but it does seem to be freer at around 3 grand on the highway. It might have hurt the bottom end just a tad but the midrange and top end seems a bit stronger. I also had the flash done and again, nothing that jumps right out at you, but it does seem a bit stronger.

I got mine from RPM and the price was outstanding! I was on the fence about getting a system or just leaving it stock and maybe putting some tips on it but when I saw their price it was just too cheap to pass up. I was pleased with the service. It took about a week to get it. I'm also on the fence about a CAI. I think that this is probably the cheapest way to bump up the power but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the increase in the sound level. I know, I'm getting old! I used to like to hear the turbo spool up on my old LeBaron but I was like 10 years younger then too! Funny how things like smooth and quiet start to look a lot better to you as you put the years on!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i have to ditch the stock exhaust. i'd like to get the magnaflow, but i'm going to wait to find out more about the CPE system.

has anyone dyno'd their car with magnaflow only? or magnaflow + XCEL/HKS? i'm curious as to how well the magnaflow mates with the XCEL. tnx.

·
Registered
364 Posts
my hope is that borla makes a catback for these cars

they served me well on my sti, so wishing the same here

:drive:

·
Registered
721 Posts
It might have hurt the bottom end just a tad but the midrange and top end seems a bit stronger.
[/b]
This would have been true if we were NA, but turbocharged vehicles benefit all the way accross the rpm range with less backpressure (unless of course the turbo runs out of breath in th upper range like ours). the only instance where a freeflow exhaust is a drawback on a turbo vehicle is with turbo-back systems that don't adress better wastegate flow and cause boost creep.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i have to ditch the stock exhaust. i'd like to get the magnaflow, but i'm going to wait to find out more about the CPE system.

has anyone dyno'd their car with magnaflow only? or magnaflow + XCEL/HKS? i'm curious as to how well the magnaflow mates with the XCEL. tnx.
[/b]
IIRC Tittanium Dyno'd with the CP-E CAI and the Magnaflows. Something around 13HP overall.
If you want the particulars. Do a search in this forum under his Name

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIRC Tittanium Dyno'd with the CP-E CAI and the Magnaflows. Something around 13HP overall.
[/b]
Well, I don't know about horsepower increase but I took a 600 mile trip with mine and my gas mileage went from a high of 23 and change to over 27. So I'm real pleased with that. I think that's a fairly signifigant improvement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
my hope is that borla makes a catback for these cars

they served me well on my sti, so wishing the same here

:drive:
[/b]

I really want Borla also. I had it on my 2002 Civic Si and I loved it. I e-mailed them about the MS6 but no response yet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well, I don't know about horsepower increase but I took a 600 mile trip with mine and my gas mileage went from a high of 23 and change to over 27. So I'm real pleased with that. I think that's a fairly signifigant improvement.
[/b]
WOW, I never got below 25 on mine with Highway. Yet, I did remove the mufflers and install the Resonator tips.
And since the Street Concepts SRI, I increased at least 1mpg around town and went to 27 on highway.
Of course, if I can keep out of it and be smooth in the 2200 - 3400 RPM range, I bet I would pull another 1.5mpg or better.
:D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
so far as mpg, i get 27 hwy & 23 city with my stock system.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
how fast do u guys drive btw?

here in cali, i get 25 highway at 65mph. in the city, i get about 20 with daily hill and stop sign roads for about 5 miles a day.

·
Registered
117 Posts
[/b]

Randy, just a quick FYI....I'm still running the factory exhaust system. I did have the factory tips widened to better fill up the decorative factory trim rings, but that was simply for aesthetics. I'm still waiting to see what materializes on the exhaust front. The Magnaflow system looks and sounds nice, but I'm interested in seeing what CP-E and the others come up with.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Randy, just a quick FYI....I'm still running the factory exhaust system. I did have the factory tips widened to better fill up the decorative factory trim rings, but that was simply for aesthetics. I'm still waiting to see what materializes on the exhaust front. The Magnaflow system looks and sounds nice, but I'm interested in seeing what CP-E and the others come up with.
[/b]
OOOppppssss My BAD....
Sry Ron to dish out the wrong info. Must be getting confused on whom has what and where the HECK is The PLANE. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just put on my Magnaflow exhaust and my initial impressions are good. I bought this exhaust over the cp-e since I needed both of my outlets to be filled (left side tip was broken off), and I wanted something that was more subdued verses the cp-e. The Magnaflow turned out to work perfectly for both of these needs, especially on the sound. The car sounds like a mini mustang gt, really deep and there is no drone. Actually, with the windows up, the cai drowns out the sound of the exhaust anything above 3000 rpm's at WOT. With all the windows down, you can barely notice its different than stock. The workmanship is quite good for an exhaust that costs $420, all the welds done nicely and a couple of mandrel bends. The mufflers and tips look especially good, since both are polished. The tips, however, could work on some fitment. Mine do not stick out like the stock tips, which I would have liked more. In fact, once the car is driven for longer than a day you can barely see the tips since they are up in the bumper and are soot coated. It is all 2.5" piping, up to the inlet of the mufflers, but I think the outlet side of the muffler is 2.25" since it looks a little smaller but I never could get an accurate measurement. The installation was easy and straight-forward, and I did it in my garage with a couple other friends (which help a whole lot), and the kit comes with everything you need. The rubber bushings that hold up the exhaust are kindof a pain, but fortunately we did not rip any of them so no trips to Home Depot. I think with the cp-e downpipe the tone will still be perfect, not too loud but not too quiet (its a little quiet now, but in a good way). So I liked everything about this exhaust except for the tips, but those will be changed since I already bought oval tips that go perfectly with the valence exhaust holes. Let me know if you would like to see any more pics.

crappy pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice review. You chose the exhaust I would go with as well...kind of a bummer about the tips though. Notice any SOTP gains?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
i really want to hear what this sounds like.. thats the thing that was holding me back from CPe.. was the single tip and the fact that the gb for dual tip was extremo pricing

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
looks good just like all magnaflow gear. my question is are you saying you're going to end up getting the cp-e dp?

1 - 20 of 195 Posts