Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More reasons...

Motor Trend January 2003 had a review of VW Jetta GLS, Altima V6 and the M6s.

#1 M6s
#2 Jetta GLS
#3 Altima v6

I expected the M6s, but was suprised about Jetta beating Altima...eh it all depends all your taste I guess :p

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Magazine Reviews of Mazda 6'

I drove a Jetta a few years ago, and they do drive well. They're not about sportiness per se, but they offer a very nice ride. I can see how they would put the Jetta above the Altima.

I don't agree, though, that they are in the same class. Well, maybe, but the Jetta is more of a compact car. I would put the Passat as a closer competitor to the Altima and '6.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Passat does seem like more of a competitor sizewise, but the Jetta seems more like the 6's market competition.

Is it even possible to get a Passat V6 with a 5 speed manual?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Magazine Reviews of Mazda 6

I don't think a Passat V6 with a 5 speed is available. That's one of the areas where Mazda was smart - not too many people offer that combo.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I just read the article and they set up the shoot out based on a 200+ horse engine and a manual tranny only; the Mazda6 won. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts

Apple, you can get the VR6/MT combo without a doubt. In fact, I think the only time you CAN'T get a manual on a VW is with the Jetta GLX, which is the "luxury" trim, with the wood dash, ACC, ect. It's also about $27,000.

Before I got my 6 (and before I got fucked by the VW dealers in NY/NJ) I was going to order a Jetta wagon 1.8T, MT. When I got fucked with that deal, I was going to get a Passat MT. But then I found the light....

·
Registered
20 Posts

yea i read the review a few days ago and was certain the 6s would come out first. sounds like it's the best choice for a family sport sedan WITH a manual tranny

·
Registered
67 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

I don't think a Passat V6 with a 5 speed is available.  That's one of the areas where Mazda was smart - not too many people offer that combo.[/b]
Unfortunately, they weren't quite smart enough -- they only made about 10% of the Mazda6 models, either trim line, with manual trannies, at least in the U.S. I'm having to have mine special ordered because no dealer in all of southern California has any V-6 manuals in stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I don't think a Passat V6 with a 5 speed is available.  That's one of the areas where Mazda was smart - not too many people offer that combo.[/b]
You are right about that, not every one have V6 with 5 Speed, Most of the Other car manufactures have V6 with 6 Speed cars.
Me personally think that 5 speed is only for i4 engines after that it should be 6 speed.

·
Registered
526 Posts

If the power band is big enough, you really don't need a 6th gear.

The only mass-production car I can remember having a 6 speed manual is the now defunct Camaro. Even then on hard launches by design it'd force you to skip 2nd.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

The only mass-production car I can remember having a 6 speed manual is the now defunct Camaro.[/b]
I'm sure there were many more with a 6-speed manual...I can think of two right off the top of my head...and sure there are bunches more...

·
Registered
526 Posts

I'm sure there are others. All I'm really trying to say is that the 6 speed manual has never been the overall norm.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Ahh yes, I was ready to bash you but after rereading your post, I do see that you said "I can remember".

You're off the hook. This time.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

The only mass-production car I can remember having a 6 speed manual is the now defunct Camaro.[/b]
I'm sure there were many more with a 6-speed manual...I can think of two right off the top of my head...and sure there are bunches more...[/b][/quote]

The Honda Accord Coupe V-6 manual tranny is a 6-speed, as is the Nissan Maxima manual. Some of the other luxury divisions have them too, like Acura, and I believe Mercedes has a couple of 6-speed models out. But yeah, 5-speed seems to be the most common.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Magazine Reviews of Mazda 6'

I believe the new Acura TSX has a 6 speed, and if it's anything like the 6 in the RSX, it's a awesome piece of car tech. I LOVE the manual in the RSX. It's' my favorite to shift car with the Lexus IS300 a close second.

Tome

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Magazine Reviews of Mazda 6'

Many of the "Performance cars" are 6sp. 5sp are being move down to the lower levels.

Just some:

Miata/MX-5
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
Honda Accord Coupe
Corvette
Nissan 350Z
Nissan Maxima SE
Acura RSX
Acura CL
Audi A4
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Volkswagen GTI VR6