Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I installed my Injen CAI 2 nights ago and it went fine, got a CEL but was expecting it. So about 20 minutes ago I installed the MAFci fix and now its not so good. On the first turn of the key it started then died. Second time it started and then idled a little rough with RPMS dropping and raising, but remember reading this was normal...

However, now my traction control light is dislaying off and the switch is not working, plus the traction displaying the car skidding was on. and the CEL is still there. Any suggestions...Its dark and I need to get this worked out ASAP. THanks

I double and tripled checked everything I thought before making any taps and connections, could I have knowcke something loose???

·
Registered
169 Posts
did you disconnect the negative to the battery before you installed the MAFci fix?

On the first turn of the key it started then died. Second time it started and then idled a little rough with RPMS dropping and raising, but remember reading this was normal...
[/b]
I remember installing my CP-E MAFci system and I only installed the piping because at the time, I didn't have instructions.... which sucked. Anyhow, when I started up the car the idling was very erratic and the car actually died one time. I got scared and stopped until I got my wiring diagrams. Once I did the wiring, the car was back to normal and was driveable. Try double-checking your wiring and also try disconnecting the negative on the battery for around 10 seconds and then reconnecting it. See if that won't work.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you disconnect the negative to the battery before you installed the MAFci fix?
[/b]

I did the black wire first with it on b/c i forgot, as soon as I did that I remembered and went back and unhooked both terminals for the rest of the install.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Did you inspect the spade connectors that plug into the taps? These not fitting correctly into the taps is the most common problem for this install.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had similar symptoms on my car recently - the TCS light came on solid, the little "car skidding" light came on and stayed on, the TCS button had no effect, and the ABS light came on too. Whenever this would happen the cruise control would also stop working. My problem turned out to be the toothed ring around the axle for the ABS speed sensor had several teeth broken off of it (thanks to the dealer). They replaced it and all is well now.

It seems like it's probably related to the MAFci since it started when you installed it, but if you can't find a resolution you might inspect the ABS speed sensors to see if you have any broken teeth.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you figured out what it was causing the problem?
[/b]

Yes i did. I called Josh at CP-E and he said it was definatly a wiring problem. Sure enough I went back and crimped down on the connectors and sure enough there was one that did not snap all the way and it all starts up and runs wonderfully.

Got to even take on some "pimped" out GTI on the way home. He got me off the line b/c i was messing with my EQ that got erased due to battery disconnect, but at like 60 or so caught up and made it look good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice! Glad to see everything works now. Yeah, I think those 3M scotchlocks are cool, but it may be better to solder them for a more solid connection. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Just a lesson why soldering the connections is the MUCH better option! Glad everything worked out for you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a lesson why soldering the connections is the MUCH better option! Glad everything worked out for you.
[/b]

I used different 3m connectors than provided. I cut off the male ends of the wires from the MAF box and crimped them together with the wires from the ECU in a 3m connector...The only problem I ran into was I did not crimp one of the connectors all the way. Other than that it seemed to really make a pretty solid connection.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Same problems here, tried installing the CPE last night. Finished about 1 a.m. (and I have to be at work at 7:30), crossed my fingers but nope. Same issues, traction control lights, idles like crap, blah blah blah. Granted I'm doing this without instructions (bought from a fellow 6 member) so all help I contribute to the site and if anyone wants to throw something out there that I may miss let me know!! Tonight I am going to get back under the box and get rid of the crimped connections and solder them. Hopefully that is all it is, if not I'll double check the #88 wires are on the correct sides, make sure the ECU box is in all the way and plug the hoses to the green deal in the engine bay (sorry forgot what it's called). If all that doesn't work, who knows, drive the car off a cliff perhaps?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just double check all your wiring connections, make sure they are all crimped TIGHT... one loose connector can cause all those problems. Another thing, TAKE YOUR TIME. It doesn't pay off to rush this. I wouldn't solder the connections just yet; rather, double check tight connections first. Once you get it up and running and there's no problems, THEN solder the connections. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same problems here, tried installing the CPE last night. Finished about 1 a.m. (and I have to be at work at 7:30), crossed my fingers but nope. Same issues, traction control lights, idles like crap, blah blah blah. Granted I'm doing this without instructions (bought from a fellow 6 member) so all help I contribute to the site and if anyone wants to throw something out there that I may miss let me know!! Tonight I am going to get back under the box and get rid of the crimped connections and solder them. Hopefully that is all it is, if not I'll double check the #88 wires are on the correct sides, make sure the ECU box is in all the way and plug the hoses to the green deal in the engine bay (sorry forgot what it's called). If all that doesn't work, who knows, drive the car off a cliff perhaps?
[/b]

Yeah i had the same problems and Josh at CP-E told me it was definatly a wiring problem. All it took was a pair of pliers to one of the connectors to crimp it down and lock it in all the way. SO do that and I am willing to bet it will start up just fine.

The car goes into limp mode when one of the wires is messed up to make sure the car will not hurt itself. When i took mine for a drive, it wouldnt go past 20mph, until i fixed the connections. good luck

·
Registered
932 Posts
I won't get a chance to work on the car again till Saturday (didn't get to it last night) so I'll let you know how it goes then. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that's about all I need to do!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah i had the same problems and Josh at CP-E told me it was definatly a wiring problem. All it took was a pair of pliers to one of the connectors to crimp it down and lock it in all the way. SO do that and I am willing to bet it will start up just fine.

The car goes into limp mode when one of the wires is messed up to make sure the car will not hurt itself. When i took mine for a drive, it wouldnt go past 20mph, until i fixed the connections. good luck
[/b]
I'm with him. Make sure the scotchlocks are crimped tight. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
So this is a super old thread...but I seem to be having the same problem.

CEL, Traction Control light on, the "skid" light on, rough and varying idle.

On top of those...I also have: REALLY rough shifting into reverse and when I put it in drive, it goes directly into 3rd gear.

Obviously it's not drivable.

I have already had this mafci on my car before and it worked flawlessly (with scotchclips no less) but had to take it off since I had to take it back to the dealer. I had used a jumper wire for the full cut wire to re-connect it, and the others I just left the clips sitting there.

I don't think anything has been knocked around, and I know they are fully clipped since it has worked before. But obviously something is wrong.

Anyone? Anyone? Please? HELP?!?!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what to tell you that you haven't heard before. Make sure all electrical connections are solid, and that all vacuum lines are connected. Check for cracks in the vacuum lines as well.

Assuming everything is installed correctly, I'd say the next thing to do is remove it. If the problems go away after it's uninstalled and you've gone through several drive cycles, then it can be attributed to the MAFci - you should probably contact CPE for help at that point. However, if the problems persist after removing it, back to the dealer it goes...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welp, I took it off and went back to stock. Things are working normal again. I unfortunately will be doing too much driving (holidays) to warrant trying to troubleshoot. I'm gonna just leave it stock until a later date.

Anyone know if CP-E is game to take a mafci and test it so I can find out if it's the connections, or the box itself?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts