Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Mazda borrowed parts to build the engine, is it possible they borrowed a MAF too? Flipping through DP, I see the Tribute 3.0L, along with other popular Ford V6s, can use the Pro-Flow 75mm MAF. Since alot of use are swapping in either CAIs or gutting the air box and using high-flow filters, why not attempt to upgrade the MAF too?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by 84FordMan@May 14 2003, 02:22 PM
Since Mazda borrowed parts to build the engine, is it possible they borrowed a MAF too? Flipping through DP, I see the Tribute 3.0L, along with other popular Ford V6s, can use the Pro-Flow 75mm MAF. Since alot of use are swapping in either CAIs or gutting the air box and using high-flow filters, why not attempt to upgrade the MAF too?
[snapback]49629[/snapback]​
Was there ever a reply to this question? I would gladly trade 10 HP for more low-end torque.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I was such a noob then..

I tried ordering one from Nikolas shortly after that and Niky told me no go on the MAF.

Greg, if you can get Andrew to get some of those numbers, I might be able to work some crossreferencing magic with them. The Contour guys swap in a SVT Lightning MAF all the time.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Aren't MAFS calibrated to the intake and fuel injector size? I don't think this would make sense without a recalibration of the transfer function. And I don't think you can do this because it requires ECU hacking. Lightnings use 42Lb injectors!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes, MAF sensors are matched to a tubing diameter, and usually to an injector size. However, with our lovable, cuddly ECU, there's no telling...

Potentially stupid question here...

What are you "upgrading"? IME, the reasoning behind upsized MAF sensors is usually to get the oversized housing (remove intake restriction), and possibly a sensor recalibrated for larger injectors, if one has a heavily modified motor, or running FI...

Since the "diameter" of our MAF sensor is determined by the diameter of the intake piping, there's nothing to "upgrade", is there? If you have a CAI, you already have a larger diameter MAF sensor housing... it's the size of the CAI piping. If not, you'd need to upsize the plastic piping on the stock airbox, which would require a MAF Customizer-esque tool to correct the now errant readings... otherwise, you get an Injen-like CEL...

Perhaps I'm totally retarded and way off-base here... if so, excuse my retardness. I'm just not understanding what there is to "upgrade"...

·
Registered
49 Posts
What I really wanted to pursue was a potential swap of ECU as well as the MAF sensor. I know it's unlikely to work with the rest of the 6S system, but just maybe somebody got it to work...

I reasoned that the Tribute must be tuned for much better torque (I did test drive one a couple of years ago, and I was very impressed). My driving is 90% in-city, and I would be better served with a torque peak around 3,500 RPM.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The Tribute doesn't have S/VT so I don't think this is wise. Is the wiring harness the same? Probably not. We need an aftermarket solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts